Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Do It Yourself" Editor: in game editor for user created levels

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by cpasjuste, May 12, 2012.

1. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

DIYEditor (Do It Yourself) is a plugin in development for Unity3D. It should be available in a few weeks on the Asset Store for around 40$ if you think it worth the price.

The goal is to allow your games users to create levels with an easy to use in-game editor: share users created levels with the world for an infinite level count.

• Easy to use for developers:
      • Drag the DIYEditor prefab in a scene then load created levels with one line of code.
      • Build the DIYEditor level builder scene and provide the application to your users or include the DIYEditor scene in your project.

• Features:
      • Load/Save a level from/to a folder or zip file on the target platform.
      • Load available cube textures (jpg/png) for the level from a folder or zip file: 256 different cubes per level (64*64px image). And many more by altering each cube color/transparency in the level.
      • Create transparent/colored/textured cubes (64x64 image)
      • Create transparent/colored/textured cubes with a different top texture (64x128 image)
      • Create any prefab located in the "Asset/Resources/DIY/Prefab" folder
      • Easily Move/Delete game objects

• Mobile optimized:
      • Automatic texture atlasing.
      • 2/3 draw calls: 1 draw call for the ground, 1 draw call for opaque objects, 1 draw call for transparent objects.
      • 2000 cubes (24K tris, 48K verts) transparent, colored, textured: 23~24 fps on Galaxy Note N7000 (1280*720) OpenGLES1/2. You probably don't want 2000 cubes in the camera view :)

WIP demonstration, any feedback would be appreciated :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Oxpr_Vzn0&feature=youtu.be

WIP demonstration 2: 2.5D view, layers ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJKI-W0sE-w

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  2. matis1989

matis1989

wow, very nice! I love it:)

3. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Very impressive and handy. Would love to try something like this for mobile.

4. AntFitch

AntFitch

It looks great!

5. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Thanks! I hope to have something to share in the next few days, at least the level builder executable to have something to try out.

6. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Hello amaranth.

- can building mode be turned off and on?
    Building mode is just two script : one script to control the camera and one for the building stuff. So yes it can easly be turned on/off.

- can cubes have box colliders? (both on and off?)
    Yes. By default they all have a collider attached. But they will be turned on/off based on the texture name the user put in the map folder/zip. Example: "Crate1-nocollider.png" will make all the cube using the "Crate1" texture to not have an enabled collider. Your users will also be able to disable the collider from the builder, which override the texture name flag. It's the same for rigidbody: by default no rigid body attached, but "Crate1-rigidbody.png" will make the box using "Crate1" texture to have a rigidbody.

- can cubes have prefabs inside of them? (for example a triangle shape for slopes)
    No, cubes won't have a prefab inside of them. But i'm planning to add a few other shapes including a triangle shape. If you need any other shape/prefab, just put a prefab in the "Asset/Resources/DIY/Prefabs" folder then it will be available in the builder to your users (prefabs needs to have a BoxCollider attached and no scaling applied to prevent batching to fail).

- can you assign a layer to a cube?
    No you can't, but if you can explain me the goal i could brind something for you.

- can you assign a tag to a cube?
    No but all cubes names are the textures names, so you can easly find them in-game. For example ask your user to use a special name for a special action: the user use a texture named "custom1.png", then just go trough all the loaded gameobjects and retrieve the ones with the name "custom" (the function to load the level return a gameobject list).

- can you customize the size of the cubes? (at level creation)
    Unfortunately no. This would break dynamic batching. This could maybe be implemented in the future by creating the mesh at runtime, but well for now it's only some 1x1 cubes, else you'll have to include your own prefabs (keep in mind that you can't use scaling: it will break batching).

- can some cubes not be removable by player?
    No, but like for the layers, explain and lets see what we can do :)

- can you add properties to your cube?
    See "can you assign a tag to a cube"

- can you lock player into the X,Y grid?
    It's in the work!

- can cubes be animated? (water)
    Not for now.

- can you create an autotile effect so that if you build a tower of cubes, grass only appears on the top tiles and dirt on tiles below it?
    Not for now :p

I'm sorry i'm a little hurry this morning, i'll come back to complete my answers very soon.
    Thanks for the support :)

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  7. p6r

p6r

Very interesting...
    Wait and see...

6R

8. AntFitch

AntFitch

Thank you Cpasjuste. Added some notes below.

If you support box colliders and prefabs, I don't think there will be a problem since I can assign layers and tags to them.

Same as above. It's nice to know that there is an additional way to sort by image name.

In my game, there are some materials that I don't want players to remove unless they have a specific tool that can "break up" the material. This could be a useful feature for sandbox games that require the player to think creatively to solve a problem (or find the right tool, in my case)

No biggie for me, but I wonder... If I wanted to animate a block, is this something I could custom code? For example, swap a material on a block during runtime? Maybe the answer is really simple... probably I just create a prefab and animate it. :)

It sounds like a great sandbox tool and I can't wait to see the finished product!

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  9. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

I just uploaded a new video to show the progress made. Unfortunately i didn't had a lot of time this week but there's still a lot of improvements. I talked about a releasing something soon, well i will probably need a few weeks instead.

Hope you'll enjoy !

10. AntFitch

AntFitch

Sounds like my week. Video looks great!

11. brianbraatz

brianbraatz

Did this package ever get released? I am interested in purchasing it.. thanks!

12. Kazoos

Kazoos

I second that. Was this ever released?

13. cpasjuste

cpasjuste

Hi!

No it's not, but it's still in the works .... Slowly. I have some other projects in the works that needs to be done before and so I still need a few month to complete it :/

14. im

im

sad to see this asset still not completed :(

15. Gabigabigo

Gabigabigo

Still not released ? (No beta ? No test version ?)

16. Plaban

Plaban

Waiting for this amazing tool.

17. mrzapp

mrzapp

I know it's horrible to hijack threads, but seeing as there has been no progress on this:

I am developing OpenEd, a free open source runtime editor for deployment with games. Its backbone is made up of other plugins of mine (OpenFile and OpenGUI).

Current features:
    - Extendable object serialisation (via OpenFile)
    - Custom inspectors
    - 2 draw call UI (via OpenGUI)
    - Customisable asset browser
    - File browser
    - Component icons for non-rendered objects (like Audio Sources and Lights)
    - Gizmo-based object transformation

I am using this editor heavily in my own game development, but there is not yet a separate demo scene set up for this. It could be done fairly quickly though. I will gladly start writing tutorials in the wiki and set this all up, should there be interest for this.

Check out the GitHub repo for screenshots:

I started this project just a few weeks ago, but I'd be happy to collaborate with OP if he's interested :) I don't intend to steal the attention, it just seems to me that this one-way street approach is not working out so well.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
    biscito likes this.
  18. dardamavet

dardamavet

Two interesting projects, that seem to be outdated :/
    What would be a good starting point for creating in-game editor this days?
    How about in-editor level editor?

19. TonyLi

TonyLi