Search Unity

Do I need to learn to script for basic start up games?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Flybye, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Flybye

Flybye

Hi all,

I am just starting out with very basic to almost no coding experiencing. To get things rolling in making some basic games, do I need to learn how to code with Unity? I fully understand coding will be inevitable with more complex projects, but by that point I will have either learned to code myself or looked for my own coders.

I see you guys have an amazing community, and I am sure I will have no trouble with any coding questions, but I would like to be able to create some type of basic game I can distribute to get my self started and learn as I plow forward into some really nice stuff.

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

3. Flybye

Flybye

I didnt know about bugz. The Unity site I just started going through, and I now see the scripting section. Thanks!

4. shaderop

shaderop

There was a post on the official Unity blog about a game called the Novelist, which was made "without writing a singe line of code" according to its author, who used uScript as an alternative to scripting.

So it's doable, but it will depend on the game you're trying to make and how far you can go with the built-in components of whichever visual scripting system you go with.

BrandyStarbrite and Ryiah like this.
  5. Flybye

Flybye

UScript looks very similar to what is available in the Unreal engine when I used to mod maps for Unreal Tournament. That looks fabulosly cool. Thank you!

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There is visual scripting. PlayMaker is another popular tool.

But to be honest actual C# scripting is not that hard, at least for basic project. Do the beginner scripting stuff in the learn section. Do a couple of the tutorial projects. And you should be away laughing.

7. Flybye

Flybye

Thanks for the input! So itching to get my hands dirty and diving in.

8. Tarey

Tarey

I am just the same as you, I watched http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/scripting in under 3 hours (using company's time while I was working, shhh! Don't tell please! :p).

I am still a long way from actually doing scripting. But I am very confident to say that I can understand what the scripting does when I look at them, it is surprisingly simple to interpret a script, so I can just download the scripts from the asset store and see if they are useful to me.

I had spent weeks just fiddling with Unity before I took that scripting lessons and was pulling my hairs out. Those lessons saved me, it was just the fundamentals that we need!

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  9. Flybye

Flybye

Thanks! You have given me that much more hope. :) And I wont tell. :)