Search Unity

Do i need to install everything everytime i update unity ?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Q-ro, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Q-ro

Q-ro

Well, hello everyone, long time lurker, first time posting, so now that all the formalities are out of the way that is basically the question, whenever i want to update unity is basically like installing it all over again, so every update is 15 or so GB of tedious download time, is that the right way to do it ?.

nickeron and Berillium like this.
  2. Lockethane

Lockethane

You have to reinstall the editor every time + any modules you want. So if you need all the mobile modules every time immediately then yes it will be 15+ gigs, otherwise its only 2-3 if you need desktop.

3. goat

goat

I usually let it run overnight but I reinstall everything but the VS Unity plugin and the Example Game Project.

4. Q-ro

Q-ro

Ok, thanks a lot @goat and @Lockthane, seems really cumbersome to be reinstalling the players and all of that stuff every time, so to me it felt like i was doing something wrong.

@goat, i did use to instal overnight as well but since my internet is slow and some time unstable i do need to be on top of the process or else i will wake up in the morning to find out that it got stuck midway and i have to retry the download of a component again.

5. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

We recently split everything off into modules with the eventual goal that you won't need to have to do that, but we need to make these changes in stages. Sorry it's so cumbersome right now. Remember you don't need to install all the modules, just the ones you need to deploy with (I understand that might be all of them).

6. jtsmith1287

jtsmith1287

Keep in mind any script templates will be lost as well. I take out my templates before "updating" so I can move them back in when it's done.

7. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

I always install into a new folder, but as an asset developer I need to support and test against multiple versions of Unity. But if you did this you could just copy your templates over afterwards.

8. kaliAJ

kaliAJ

[SOLVED]
    can the assets be backward compatible,i am having the version 2018.2.6f1 and one of the asset i need was bulit using 2018.3.8f1 so by any means can i use that asset, so i don't need to update unity just for one asset?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  9. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity doesn't support downgrading Unity versions for projects or exported assets. I don't believe Unity stops you from trying, but expect problems you'll need to fix depending on what changed between the two Unity versions. For example, Unity 2018.3.0 introduced a lot of changes for prefabs and terrain, so I'd expect assets made in 2018.3.8 imported into 2018.2.6 will mean any prefab or terrain assets would be completely broken.

Look at all the release notes for all the versions between those two for an idea what else might be broken, though there's probably hundreds or more minor changes in that time frame.

Of course, back up your project before importing anything, especially something you should expect will cause problems like this.

10. kaliAJ

kaliAJ

appreciate your efforts but i already downloaded its INITIAL version which supports my editor from github from the developers repository

Joe-Censored likes this.
  11. ghayas0071

ghayas0071

by updating our unity engine, did we still got crashes from the third party imported prefabs ?
    2019.2.0f1 --> 2019.2.8f1

12. samson2020

samson2020

I don't have enough data to be re installing the modules all the time