Search Unity

Do I need Pro Licence After the Contract with Publisher Ended?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FellowPlayer123, Jan 30, 2021.

1. FellowPlayer123

FellowPlayer123

Here is the case.

I am 1 person company (independent game developer).
    I want to make a contract with the company (which incomes are higher than 200 000$/year) that I will create a game in one year for them. After 1 year the contract ends and I am free to go, but I still would like to sell the game in a store and split the earnings between my company and them.

So, my question is the following: Do I still need to own a Pro License even the 1-year contract with that company has ended? Or can I go back to my Plus License? Will I need to own a Pro License as long as the game is being sold through the store even if I don't work with this company anymore?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
  2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I recommend reaching out to Support to discuss this and get official confirmation. I think the answer is that you wouldn't need a Pro license after your contract with the other company ends unless your share of the earnings from them means that you are now making more than $200,000 a year from what you've done with Unity, but don't take my answer as official confirmation, get Support to confirm.

3. FellowPlayer123

FellowPlayer123

I wrote to them a few times 2 months ago. I received 0 feedback.

4. FellowPlayer123

FellowPlayer123

5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I am not sure what you are bumping this for, your post was answered. This is not a place for support for this sort of issue, you have to contact support. If you contacted them and they didnt get back to you, contact them again.

Continuing to bump this thread will not result in anything - you need to contact support.

Ryiah and JoNax97 like this.
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Here's the applicable parts of the license
    https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software
    So it comes down to what really is the nature of your contract. Are you providing services to them, or for yourself? A big clue would be who ends up owning the game(s) you create while under contract. If the other company ends up owning the games you create, or if you're contributing to their project, it sounds more like bullet point 2. If you continue to own the games, and this is just a marketing, distribution, and revenue share agreement, then it sounds more like bullet point 1.

But this is really lawyer territory. My opinion isn't worth anything. IANAL

FellowPlayer123 likes this.
  7. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

I was under the impression that once a game is completed and build you can sell it as somewhat of a standalone software and the unity license is about the unity editor itself.
    So you can create a game with what ever license it's qualified for at the time of building the game and you only need to update the license to your new circumstances if you use the unity editor to make updates/changes to the game.

needless to say i'm not a lawyer, blah blah blah.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  8. Or you use Unity in any capacity and obviously your income went over the $100k or $200k. Also it is good to keep in mind that making changes and building means the splash screen will be rebuilt, so if you turned it off, it means you need at least Plus to build with the same option.

FellowPlayer123 likes this.
  9. FellowPlayer123

FellowPlayer123

I spoke about this in that thread: Does a publisher need a Unity licence as well as the developer? - Unity Forum
    Unfortunately, for an unknown reason, the Unity Community Engagement Manager closed this thread.

I was told that I need to own Pro License for the contract time.

But here is another case.

After the contract (to create this game) ends, the publisher acquires my license to gain financial profits out of the game. I would like to make free post-launch changes to this game on my own (game as a service model). Do I need to purchase a Plus license once again, or can I go back to a Pro license?

Please, don't tell me to ask lawyers, because I work with lawyers. They have trouble writing down that contract because the Unity license is troublesome. They ask me, as a person who knows Unity what should they write down in the contract. Even Unity members (superpig in the following thread) don't know how to handle this.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  10. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Contact support. If you're not getting a response, post the ticket number here and I'll go poke them about it.

Ryiah and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  11. FellowPlayer123

FellowPlayer123

Here is the ticket: #986513.

Thanks!