Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I have to use Matchmake with Multiplay? (MMO)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by IncrediblyWalrus, Jan 21, 2023.

1. IncrediblyWalrus

IncrediblyWalrus

Hi there,

I've been looking around for backend services to use for an MMO project I have in mind. I've been doing some research on backend providers to help speed things up, and have noticed a few things such as PlayFab, Multiplay, Amazon's way of Playfab (forgot the name), etc.

However, these things are really only good for session-based games. So the servers shuts off when all players disconnect. That's not something I really need, they also allow you to add a matchmake system to your game, but that's also not something I really want to use or need for the game I'm making. I'm wanting just a server to be constantly running, players connect or leave, doesn't matter, the server(s) still run.

I'm wondering, does Multiplay also only cater towards session-based games with their hosting services? Or is it possible to also keep my server constantly running on Multiplay without it shutting down due to no players on? I'd really like to just use these services for their player cloud data features, where I can keep track of items, etc. for character customisation and it would also be handy to use the same product for server hosting too.

Am I wrong in saying that these options just won't work for what I'm going for? Would I have to just use AWS instead and use: DynamoDB, AWS hosting, Cognito for authority?

If it helps, I'm also using Mirror for the networking management, the above is just for backend / dedicated server hosting.

Thanks.

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

You are right, orchestration services like Amazon's Gamelift, Multiplay, etc. are mostly for session based games.
    For MMOs you can still use dedicated servers.
    For example, many people like Hetzner for their price & value.

3. IncrediblyWalrus

IncrediblyWalrus

Good to know that I was right before looking mostly into all of those. Is it wrong to be using them as a data holder for players? Could I use PlayFab for players' data such as their characters information, and then just let them connect to my dedicated server, rather than using PlayFab for server hosting? Or is that just overall strange to do?

4. mischa2k

mischa2k

That's fine, some people do that.
    Playfab even has an example with Mirror integration.

5. IncrediblyWalrus

IncrediblyWalrus

Awesome! I'll end up doing that, I could just rock with AWS with their DynamoDB, etc. But I am a sucker for an already established pretty look on the frontend for players' information like PlayFab.

I appreciate you responding to my concerns, it's been a hassle trying to get some confirmation if what I was doing was okay and relatively safe.

mischa2k likes this.
  6. mischa2k

mischa2k

We have a #playfab channel in our discord by the way.
    If you figure out anything new, please share it back with the community :)
    Many others have similar questions like yours.