Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Do I Buy a Gaming Laptop for Unity Game Engine?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by ozlgktg, Jan 15, 2020.

1. ozlgktg

ozlgktg

Hello,

I am independent developer for now. And I have some AR projects in my mind. Before have some game projects but it was 3-4 years ago. And now If i will success, I want to need a good enviroment.

So I curious about that, Do I Buy a Gaming Laptop for Unity Game Engine for making real projects about AR?

I have searched for Unity system requirements (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/system-requirements.html, https://forum.unity.com/threads/computer-system-requirements-to-develop-with-unity.647854/) but theese are not enough for me, i think...

Especially for AR projects with Unity, What kind a laptop must i choose? Apple's are a good idea? Actually I prefer windows laptops for using different program types for microsoft. Gaming pc

For Example: (is it enough or do you perefer higher configuration?)

Abra A5 V15.3.1 15.6" Gaming Laptop
    • Intel Coffee Lake Core i5-9300H
    • 3GB GDDR5 Nvidia GTX1050
    • 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 IPS Matte LED Screen
    • 8GB (1x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz
    • 500GB OCZ RC500 M.2 SSD

2. jamespaterson

jamespaterson

Personally i would recommend a higher spec than that for AR work. It does depend on how compute intensive you expect the end product to be. I use i7-6700hq, 1070m and 16gb RAM.

3. ozlgktg

ozlgktg

Thank you James, I think, i will choose "HP Pavilion GAMING 17-CD0012NT" because of price. But in future I will think your advice. Thank you for your assistance.

HP Pavilion GAMİNG 17-CD0012NT Intel Core i7 9750H 16GB 512GB SSD GTX1660Ti Freedos 17.3" FHD 7EB58EA (https://laptopmedia.com/review/hp-pavilion-gaming-17-2019-review-its-cheap-but-is-it-worth-it/)

CPU

Intel Core i7-9750H
    GPU
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Max-Q
    Display
    17.3”, Full HD (1920 x 1080), IPS
    HDD/SSD
    256GB M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB HDD, 5400 rpm
    M.2 Slot
    1x 2280 M.2 NVMe slot See photo
    RAM
    16GB DDR4, 2666 MHz
    Dimensions
    405 x 282 x 25.4 mm (15.94" x 11.10" x 1.00")
    Weight
    2.75 kg (6.1 lbs)

jamespaterson likes this.
  4. Mauri

Mauri

Honestly, I wouldn't buy a (gaming) laptop. The only things you can usually replace are RAM and the hard drive...
    In the long run, it may be cheaper to buy a regular PC and upgrade it if necessary.

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Don't get a computer for Unity development with any less than 16GB of RAM. For AR I wouldn't go with low end graphics like a 1050 either. If you're going to be lightmap baking on the CPU, you will find a 4 core mobile CPU to be frustrating as well.

If this is your primary development machine, I'd go for higher specs across the board. If you have a more powerful desktop, and this was just to get some work done while on the go (I do the same thing), then I'd just up the RAM to 16GB and wait to do anything that performs poorly on the laptop for when you get back home to your desktop. YMMV

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yeah, I might not recommend a laptop for VR or AR Unity development. I have one, but it cost a ton (Alienware m17) . I needed a VR laptop for separate reasons, and it works great! But get a desktop if you can and pay probably less than 1/2

us3rn8m3, Ryiah and Mauri like this.
  7. hyoyeaaa778822

hyoyeaaa778822

I'll get another machine for my new position which is generally identified with AR and VR stuff with Unity. Typically we use MacBookPros , however I felt that it looks bad since you can't generally get a decent gpu for a MBP. So now I see every one of these workstations PCs (like the msi WS arrangement) with extraordinary gpu's and all these gaming PCs with top of the line gpu's. Would be extraordinary to hear a few advices which kind of gpu is "better" for Unity improvement. I heard that workstation gpu's are bad for games so my idea was that they are perhaps not the best alternative here but rather I'm searching for your recommendation.

8. ozlgktg

ozlgktg

Thank you for all commets. I will choose optimum laptop with this commets. Yes I ll choose laptop because I am mobile always. But maybe I can look for a PC in future if my jobs will be grater.

Thank you for your help and assistance.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Joe-Censored likes this.