Search Unity

Do Custom events work with strings? How to analyze them?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Miguel2DNutz, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Miguel2DNutz

Miguel2DNutz

Hello, I implemented Unity Analytics on our project yesterday. I created one custom event which is used for letting us know where the player died. It contains the following information:
    A string named "Level" which will tell us the name of the scene.
    A string named "Position" which contains a string version of a Vector3 with the position of the player in the moment of death.

This is what we need. In the "Integration" section of the site, when I go to "Test Custom Event" it shows that it works by printing this:
    • Parameters
    • Level > World1Level2
    • Position > (66.5, -148.3, -3.6)
    Now, the problem is, how do I see this data in the "Data Explorer"? I have no idea how to get a list of the events as shown in the "Test Custom Event" section. The CSV file gives me some numbers, not what I need.
    Where can I find this information in an easier to read format than in "Test Custom Event"?

2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

The short answer is: you can't.

Unfortunately, right now we're not doing a sufficient job of surfacing string values back to the developer. This is, not surprisingly, one of the top requested features for our dashboard and we're working hard to make it happen. I can't give you a date or anything, but a solution will be along as soon as we can possibly manage it!

3. Miguel2DNutz

Miguel2DNutz

Oh, hi Marc!

Thanks for the information. Do you have any alternative on what I could do? I was thinking of changing the event into 2 floats: world number, level number, and 3 floats for the position (for x, y and z). Basically, it would give me something like this:

• Parameters
    • Level > 2
    • PositionX > 66.5
    • PositionY > -148.3
    • PositionZ > -3.6
    • World > 1
    I'll check in a couple of hours to see what the CSV gave me.

So, if strings are still not working, what do you suggest for when doing in-game purchases with soft currency? Basically, if the player bought an extra life with in-game coins rather than, say, dollars, what type of event would you suggest for keeping track of this?

4. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Numbers in this case won't really solve the problem. Basically, our system is built principally for data aggregation: sums/counts/averages, that kind of thing. So what I mentioned above can be read as "we're working on exposing categorized data". With your case of a level, whether the level is "World1Level2" or 2 kind of makes no difference. What you're really asking for is a way to see the categorized data you're logging, and we're not yet doing that...but it's a task very much in progress.

The case of the co-ordinate is (I presume) the starting point of a desire for a heat map, yes? This is something under discussion, and has been asked for a fair bit. We'll certainly let people know if/when that becomes a feature we offer.

5. Miguel2DNutz

Miguel2DNutz

Oh, ok, I understand then. Thanks for the info

6. MaXi_JP

MaXi_JP

I'm also waiting for that "work on exposing categorized data" Marc. Thank you very much.

7. CanisLupus

CanisLupus

Yup, I'm also waiting for it. :) Displaying the distribution of a certain value inside a custom event dictionary would be very useful.

I find that most analytics solutions allow custom events with a complex category but with only a single value associated, which is generally a float or a integer. This makes it easy to separate values into categories, but makes it much more problematic to submit, for example, both a score and a duration associated with some event (like a level completed), because these become two different events.

The solution of a single event with the relevant parameters as a dictionary (used in Unity Analytics) looks much more intuitive, but only if we can access the values in useful ways later.

All this to say: please work on this! You're awesome! Thanks! ;)

8. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Thanks for your patience, friends. The work was slowed down a bit thanks to the cold-and-flu season. But as I've mentioned, it's all in-progress; will post here when the feature is ready to be seen.

CanisLupus likes this.