Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Colliders have a little extra "buffer zone" around them when processing collisions?

Discussion in '2D' started by wcburg1, Feb 18, 2020.

1. wcburg1

wcburg1

I'm having a very strange problem which I will try to describe as best as I can. Basically what you need to know is that 1. My game contains many box colliders, and 2. The way that my game works, everything in the game gets smaller as levels progress. Essentially, everything in my game works fine until I reach a certain level, at which point, a lot of the sprites which have rigidbodies attached to them start to get stuck due to colliders that were not affecting them before. I zoomed in to scene mode while the game was playing, and figured out that the colliders were affecting each other even though the green boxes (as they show up in scene mode) were not physically touching. In fact, when zoomed in enough, a lot of the game objects seem to be "floating" when sitting on colliders, that is, there is a little bit of space between their collider and the other collider. I assume that there is just a tiny buffer zone keeping the colliders apart, and that when all my game objects get small enough this buffer zone is enough to cause collisions to occur. Is this the case?