Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Do avatar masks work with BlendShape values?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by coshea, Oct 6, 2020.

1. coshea

coshea

Hi

I'm trying to do some filtering of animations with layers and an avatarmask. The problem is that blendshape values seem to be ignored by the avatar mask.

I have an fbx with an idle animation on the base layer, on a second layer I use an avatar mask with humanoid turned off and just using the transform selection. The only transform turned on in the avatar mask is a single bone. This second layer is set to override.

When I play, even though the skinned mesh object is not selected in the avatar mask on the second layer, that animation still plays and overrides the base.

I tried to debug a different way and applied the avatar mask to the animation clip mask settings on the fbx importer settings. When you look at the filtered clip using the mask, you can see the bone I had selected, but you can also see the skinned mesh and the blend shape values changing in the animation window.

Does that make sense?

Any idea if this should work? I am working on Unity 2018.4 for this specific project.

Thanks
    Chris

ColtPtrHun and fumeknight like this.
  2. coshea

coshea

If anyone is searching for the same thing, the answer is no. AvatarMasks don't work with Skinned Meshes driven by blendshapes. I got this reply on Twitter

"Avatar Masks don't support anything that is driven by any component except Animator and Transform. This essentially means bones or Humanoid muscles. BlendShapes are driven by the Skinned Mesh Renderer, so they are not covered. Blend Shapes are not part of the avatar at all."

It's a bit poo really.

ColtPtrHun and fumeknight like this.
  3. ColtPtrHun

ColtPtrHun