Search Unity

Do asset voucher keys expire?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TheMessyCoder, Dec 31, 2018.

1. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Hi

I have not been able to find an answer to this. Does anyone know if asset vouchers will expire at the end of year or will they still work in 2019?

Thanks

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

I don't think they ever expire. Most vouchers that I've sent have been redeemed within a day or two. But one voucher hung around for almost 2 years before the recipient redeemed it.

3. LaneFox

LaneFox

They don't expire. Generally you make a new product and pull all of the vouchers for it (for use whenever you want) so that you get 12 more on the next anniversary date.

4. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

I got an extra one of Gaia from the Humble bundle and dont know what to do with it.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nor do the other thousands. Not everything has to have a purpose :)

6. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Mark_01 likes this.
  7. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

I can always find a charitable purpose for everything

hippocoder likes this.
  8. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

okay that came out a bit wrong, depending on how much you have drunk today.

hippocoder likes this.
  9. TonyLi

TonyLi

I thought the clock started when the voucher was redeemed. Is that not the case?

10. LaneFox

LaneFox

I thought it started when you pulled the voucher :shrug:

11. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think that vouchers should probably have a sane lifetime of a year really. Any more is a bit silly because the asset could be depreciated and so forth.

In any case, I also don't have a grim view of vouchers being passed on even if it cost something since it's generally always a biz gain to gain a new user and asset authors should already be equipped to deal with support when giving out the vouchers anyway :)

So I think that 12 vouchers is in fact limiting for both Unity and the asset authors. 100 would be more suitable, if only to collect more asset store users for Unity, and collect more potential upgraders or ecosystem friendly customers for asset authors.

Put it this way, an asset with 10 paying customers isn't more business than 100+ non-paying legit customers you can potentially monetise. Not even close if you know what your CR's are, so long as you can reach them and they're alive.

There's a lot wrong with the store that I personally believe I can improve but it's not actually my responsibility so I can't :)

Happy new (asset) year all :)

haleler51 likes this.
  13. TheMessyCoder

TheMessyCoder

Happy New Year bud.

I agree. the asset store needs some changes to make it provide asset creators with a competitive and customisable platform to sell from. Especially as Unity limit how else you can sell your work.

In my quick opinion; Increase asset vouchers limit, subscription payments for assets, tiers for paid support,better protection against piracy such as in editor verification (easy to do as they used to have the API which could support it).

If they could increase the limit on vouchers then they could have them expire after 1yr or 2yrs

haleler51 likes this.
  14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It's a strange passive/aggressive system from stores. They contractually act as agent but act like they own the customer, and you have no way of reaching the customer. It would be nice if say, the customer could be contacted by default and tickbox opt-out if they wished.