Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Do Asset Store 3d models without the source deter sales?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArachnidAnimal, Jul 28, 2018.

1. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

I'm very hesitant to purchase any 3d model assets from the store unless they contain the source. (The FBX is not the source because most often the FBX cant be opened and modified).
    There's an asset for Ground Debris. The heap piles are all .FBX, so you can't tweak it.
    So you would end up with every single debris pile looking the same.

So, sorry, I won't be buying your asset.

2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I don’t buy models from the store for anything other than protyping or just playing around, so it wouldn’t impact my buying decision either way. But I’ve never had any problems opening fbxs either directly or exporting from unity. There is also this:
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/fbx-exporter-101408
    Though, I haven’t tried it.

ArachnidAnimal likes this.
  3. Billy4184

Billy4184

FBXs can technically be modified, and if it's an old version and your modelling software is complaining you can usually convert to latest format using Autodesk FBX Converter.

I think you mean, you can open the .fbx but can't really do anything to it without messing up the compatibility of the UVs/textures and so on?

It would be great if it were easily possible to save an entire workflow to file, but unfortunately it's very very hard. Maybe the model was baked, so you would need the highpoly models. Maybe the highpoly models were separated for the sake of baking good normal maps, but joined to bake the ambient occlusion maps, with all kinds of twiddling around to get things right. Maybe it was textured using sourced materials that were not licensed to redistribute in original form. Maybe ten different licensed software was used to wrangle it into perfection. Maybe all sorts of workflow-specific things that make it very hard to give you the 'source'.

Even if it were possible, in most cases, the 'source' would be 50mb of junk that would put the buyer in worlds of pain and cause the seller endless grief.

I think that the idea that models and textures should be as highly modifiable as possible is a great one, and with software like substance designer it's getting closer to being possible, but until there's some kind of global standard (which will likely never come) we will probably be stuck most times with .fbx's and .png's.

Socrates and passerbycmc like this.
  4. passerbycmc

passerbycmc

@Billy4184 makes some very good points. But to the op the other issue is if you are a blender or max user what good are my .ma files too you?

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have no problems editing fbxs I do it often to separate objects that are not separated by artist or change small things, like make sure the iron sights line up (VR game using the sights to actually aim with).

Having the highpoly would be nice I guess, I can't do anything with it since I'm not an artist but I guess it could be used if you hire a freelancer to modify it for you. I have also found that most artist are very helpful fixing stuff you can't fix yourself with the fbx only.

6. Ostwind

Ostwind

Hmm? I don't think I've ever encountered a FBX that I can't open or edit. Maybe it's related the tools you use and is not really that generic issue.

Also what would your source file be as there are several tools with different file format used by the modelers?

7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

The FBX is the source, you just aren't using it right. Instead of troubleshooting to figure out your specific issue, you've invented some fantasy to put the blame on other people. Nobody else is having this issue, you are approaching it entirely the wrong way.

8. Ne0mega

Ne0mega

I kind of feel the same way. I don't by models from the asset store for this reason, usually too high poly, not dynamic enough. Plus my workflow requires a single high poly model to bake to a low poly.

Most high poly models are 50 high poly models all smashed together and called one. It is just too much risk.

Good looking, very low poly models are kind of hard to find.

So I appreciate a free sample, so I can open it up, see how many meshes it is comprised of, how well it is done, how low poly it is, etc, etc...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
  9. Tom_Veg

Tom_Veg

this is what i did with one of my assets as store publisher. It is good idea and win win situation for bout me and potential dev who might consider buying something. Since free asset is made in same way technically, have same or similar polycount, same rig, he can test to see is the asset type and style fit for his/her project, then make informed decision before purchasing or not. It is good for me as well cause it helps building trust between me and potential customers.

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

I... don't care, honestly. Anything I'm getting off the Asset Store in that capacity is either for prototyping or minor bits of set dressing that I'll never have to modify. Odds are the only thing I'm going to worry about with regards to a trash can or a dumpster is going to be "does this match the scale of everything else?" which I can correct in a few seconds in Unity. Everything else I either make myself or hire somebody else to do.

11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The asset store submission guidelines make it a pain to include 3D model source files native to the modeling software. The first time I attempted to put some 3D models on the store, I included the .blend files and was rejected for doing that. They allow .fbx and .obj only. The publisher is allowed to include the source files inside .zip files, but that assumes they are aware of that allowance (when you are rejected they don't tell you that, they just tell you those file types are not allowed), and want to go through the trouble of doing so.

https://unity3d.com/asset-store/sell-assets/submission-guidelines

12. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

What would be inside native program files that does not exist in fbx or obj? I cannot think of anything.

13. Kemonono

Kemonono

I mean, rigs for one, object history, specific modifiers, scripts, sims.

Not that I would want any of it for asset store though, would rather prefer it to be an separate download link, which I would likely not use at all. Because, as other said, I use the meshes from asset store are mostly for prototyping or background props, and the FBX is enough to do the changes I want.

bobisgod234 and passerbycmc like this.
unityunity