Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

do animations work?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by timmehhhhhhh, Dec 18, 2018.

1. timmehhhhhhh

timmehhhhhhh

i can see we have AnimationClip, AnimationClipPlayer, AnimationClipSource, and AnimationTarget, but it's not clear how they work, and i'm not seeing them used in any examples. the latest thing i've tried:

1. click on an element in the 'scene' (entity group) and add an AnimationClipPlayer component
    2. open the animation window and click to create a new animation
    3. assign the clip reference to the 'animationClip' field in the inspector
    3. animate some properties and observe in the game and scene windows that the properties i am animating are being applied to the element
    4. hit 'play' and open the browser -> observe nothing is animating
    5. return to unity and exit play mode -> observe that playing the animation no longer has an effect on the entity, and when clicking on the entity, you no longer can preview the animation in the animation window (they're no longer bound / serialized together?)

is any of this supposed to be working? if yes, how? thanks!

2. L1ancoe

L1ancoe

Get confused with Animation System too. As far as I know, none of sample projects using animation clips.

3. DyrdaOrg

DyrdaOrg

mhm.. I might not be correct but isn't it all working through AnimateCutsceneSystem script?
    It's definitely responsible for scaling (are there 3 or one by one) and looping after end (none). And it's loading Entities -> Cutcenes -> let's say CutscenePartC
    When Entity is loaded you can see the Items tree there.
    upload_2018-12-20_10-11-56.png
    And these items are imho making the entire "animation" (these Indexes are also mentioned in AnimateCutsceneSystem). So... Item3 has index = 24. Item3b has index = 25 and so on. They have also delay mentioned with which (if you tweak a little) you will be able to change the time next index will load (in this case it would be 27 so Item5 (pink door).
    The only different (not so much though) is Item7b which overlays on Item7 (which has Duration = 0, so it's starting immediately) and last 2,65 secs. It has Sprite 2D sequence component:
    upload_2018-12-20_10-23-44.png
    Which is similar to animated gif.

I hope that I'm correct and this will help to understand and create something awesome.
    If I'm wrong though, then do, please, correct me :)

4. timmehhhhhhh

timmehhhhhhh

@DyrdaOrg appreciate the reply. i'm specifically wondering about plain 'ol unity animation clips.

5. raymondyunity

raymondyunity

Unity Technologies

Hey,

Short answer is no. Animations and advanced 2D features are on the list to work on though.

Stick with Sprite2DSequence renderers/flipbook animations for a stable experience.

timmehhhhhhh likes this.
  6. timmehhhhhhh

timmehhhhhhh

7. fidelsoto

fidelsoto

If regular 2D animations could be ported to Tiny it would be a huge epic win. Please give us an update if something like this ever becomes possible.