Search Unity

Bug DLSS increases motion blur & other perf costs by over 5x

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by PutridEx, Dec 3, 2021.

1. PutridEx

PutridEx

GPU perf: from 0.7ms to 3.7 in 4k. when activating DLSS.
    The big perf increase happens in 1080 and 4k.
    using 2021.2.4 DLS with Max quality mode & fixed screen %.

I just started using DLSS - is this normal and expected or a bug?
    \
    edit: also seems to sometimes happen to Fixed Exposure and recordRenderGraph
    to reproduce: Open HDRP template, go to interior room - turn on DLSS using fixed dynamic res @ 77% / you might have to do it a few times, close editor and retry, it doesn't always happen.

In editor. haven't checked if it still happens in a build.
    RTX 2070 super
    edit: case 1385924

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  2. Qleenie

Qleenie

I have same kind of issue. Happens in both Editor and builds. Not using Motion Blur, but Fixed Exposure.

3. Qleenie

Qleenie

PS: from my observation, it seems to decrease performance of all GPU operations; I also saw huge increase of costs for my own compute shader in GPU profiling. Sometimes it seems to resolve itself, sometimes not. Pretty erratic behavior. If it runs once fine, it seems to be stable.

PutridEx likes this.
  4. PutridEx

PutridEx

Yeah, like you said, I noticed even LensFlareDataDriven gets 5-8x perf increase. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

5. jjejj87

jjejj87

PutridEx, did you report this bug?

6. PutridEx

PutridEx

Yeah, case 1385924
    Although lately months can go on without a reply for bug reports :(

Qleenie likes this.
  7. Qleenie

Qleenie

Was the bug accepted ? This bug makes DLSS unusable in current state.

8. PutridEx

PutridEx

No reply to the bug report yet, lately it takes months to get a reply...

9. CuprumGD

CuprumGD

I think it's not DLSS guys, enable Dynamic Resolution does this to me (although I used DLSS in that scene).If i uncheck only DLSS - nothing happens, only disabling dynamuc resolution altogether makes this extreme slowdown to go away

10. Qleenie

Qleenie

FSR is running fine for me, did not have a single incident with it enabled. It only happens with DLSS, didn't check the other algorithms.

11. CuprumGD

CuprumGD

maybe DLSS causes it in a first place, but after it had bugged (after running maybe normally for 5 minutes) - whatever I tried in that scene, including FSR, didnt work as intended. Reopening editor also doesnt help, it ruined dynamic resolution in this scene forever it seems. Only disabling it completely helped me. Frustrating

12. Qleenie

Qleenie

hm, okay, this problem I haven't encountered yet. Sometimes it also recovers from the DLSS issue, seems to be triggered by change of quality level.

13. Qleenie

Qleenie

@PutridEx Any news about this? Just tested 2021.2.12f1, Dynamic Resolution works again, but DLSS has same kind of severe performance issues. Sometimes it works, most of the time not. Hard to explain to users actually. @chap-unity DYK what happened to the bug report?

14. PutridEx

PutridEx

Still no reply to the bug report

15. Qleenie

Qleenie

This is kind of bad. DLSS seems not to be usable, at least in some sort of projects.

We constantly need to explain our customers that DLSS just works "sometimes", which leads to a lot of support overhead. @chap-unity any insights from Unity side?

16. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

I'll have a look to see if I can repro.
    Had a look at the report and it looks like it's indeed stuck with customer QA.

If I managed to repro, I'll send it to the right people.

matthewhxq and Qleenie like this.
  17. Qleenie

Qleenie

@chap-unity were you able to repro?

18. PutridEx

PutridEx

QA replied to me, said they can't reproduce so case is closed.
    I don't have access to an RTX card anymore, so can't do further tests, and frankly even If i did I'm tired of reporting bugs and only getting QA to look at it months later :)

19. Qleenie

Qleenie

This is kind of bad. We have thousands of customers who are able to reproduce....
    That be said, it does not happen all the time, like roughly 50% of starts of the application, and issue often goes away if you change the HDRP asset during runtime.

As in our product FSR is working without issues, and we handle DLSS exactly the same, I guess the issue is not in our code.
    @chap-unity Do you need any help in reproducing?

20. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, I had a second look indeed at the issue and I managed to repro for the motion blur pass.

In 4k, we are looking at 2,5ms-ish with DLSS on, and 0.3ms-ish without, this seems completely disproportionnate.

I'll re-open the issue and assign it to the right team. I'll keep you posted here once it has been looked at.

Public issue tracker link

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  21. Qleenie

Qleenie

ok, sounds good. We don't use motion blur, as we are using VR, but issue seems to be quite the same. Basically GPU performance seems to drop heavily.

chap-unity likes this.
  22. Qleenie

Qleenie