Search Unity

Dlls .gitignore and secuity

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by pretender, Nov 6, 2014.

1. pretender

pretender

Hi, I was just testing this feature and it looks good so far. First build was unsuccessful because I had .gitignore setup so it doesn't track dlls (which I need for build). Is this ok to setup that way so dlls are tracked with GIT?

The other thing is bothering me is how secure this is? I am giving access to my entire project, and I don't want anybody else to see it or take advantage of it. I have unity cloud account tied to my email and don't have any collaborators set...is it possible that with another email somehow gain access to the files on the repo or keystore file that I had uploaded?

Thanks!

2. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

Yes, you need to configure your ignore files in a way that it includes all files (especially .a/.dll) which are necessary to run your project after a clean checkout with your target Unity version.

All files are secure and only you and your collaborators - which need to be added by yourself - are able to build and change the settings of the UCB project. Although, you are the only one who is able to delete the project itself and all Keystore files, credentials and certificates can not be extracted, so no one is able to gain access to them. This also means no one is able to access your repository data without knowing the credentials. Does this answer all your questions?

hypeNate likes this.
  3. dkely

dkely

@David Berger
    I know the general rule is not to add .dll's to source control but if it is the only way, how big an issue is it? Big enough to warrant a better solution being developed in the future? What about creating your own NuGet package and then using some build process commands to pull the dlls in?
    I am new to build automation so i have no idea if that is difficult or even possible. I guess you would need one of the costlier plans to achieve this.

4. David-Berger

David-Berger

Unity Technologies

It depends on your project, with Unity you will need to checkin your .dll's and so far it works properly. To can try to use submodules or svn externals but that's up to you.