Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TextMesh Pro "DllNotFoundException: TMPro_Plugin" error when generating font atlas

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by ElnuDev, Oct 6, 2018.

1. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

I am getting the following error when I press "Generate Font Atlas" using the Font Asset Creator:

DllNotFoundException: TMPro_Plugin
    TMPro.EditorUtilities.TMPro_FontAssetCreatorWindow.OnDisable () (at /home/tichomir/.config/unity3d/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.textmeshpro@1.2.4/Scripts/Editor/TMPro_FontAssetCreatorWindow.cs:204)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

I am using Unity 2018.2.7f1. Thanks for your help in advance!

2. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

'Programmer' said this on Stack Overflow:

The native side of the code required to generate text is not available on Linux yet. The plugin itself should work during run-time in a build but its Editor tool is not supported on Linux. The Editor tool is only supported on Windows and Mac.

The original reason for the lack of support is because only few people use Linux when enveloping games with Unity. Also Unity Editor itself does not support Linux officially. Whatever support they have for it is still in experimental mode and there are many issues that makes it not worth using at this point.

Since TextMesh Pro is now bought by Unity, it's very likely that Linux will be supported. You should wait until Unity finally integrate it with Unity and maybe they will add support for Linux. At this moment, I think you should file for a bug report to remind Unity that this issue is still there then just use the Text component until they fix it. If you still want to use TextMesh Pro, a workaround is to use VMware Workstation to run Windows or MacOS on your Linux then you can use them to create the Text Assets and export and import them as Packages in your Linux project.

I should point out that I am on Ubuntu, a distribution of Linux.

HZ51 likes this.
  3. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Indeed as per the answer provided on Stack Overflow, the current Font Asset Creator (plugins) does not include support for Linux. However, in the next release of TMP, the Font Asset Creator will be using a new low level API / Font Engine which will work on all platforms including Linux of source.

This new Font Engine and runtime API will be available in Unity 2018.3 and up.

ElnuDev likes this.
  4. HZ51

HZ51

In Unity 2019.3.0a2 I have the same issue.

Attached Files:

ElnuDev likes this.
  5. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

This means you are using an old version of TextMesh Pro. You should be updating to the latest release via Package Manager which is version 2.0.1.

HZ51 likes this.
  6. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

Haha, don't you mean 2018.3?

7. ElnuDev

ElnuDev

Ok, thanks a bunch! I'll try it out next time I need it.

8. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

The version of the package for Unity 2018.3 is 1.4.1 but for Unity 2019.x, it is 2.0.1.