Search Unity

DllNotFoundException: abci (Alembic for Unity)

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Kaldrax, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Kaldrax

Kaldrax

Hey guys!

I've been successfully enjoying using the Alembic Plugin from Github in Editor, but when I do a build I get the error:

DllNotFoundException: abci

I'm using the latest version of the plugin from Github, on Unity 2018.3.3f1, building for MacOS.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

2. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

Hey,

Just to confirm: you are doing a build for OS X standalone and it does not find the end binary.
    I just tried today with 2018.3.5 and alembic 1.0.0 from packman and I was able to build and run a standalone version and alembic were there.
    I wanted to draw your attention that the standalone support for Alembic is limited: it might work, but is not heavily tested (main use cases were Editor usage since Alembic is a fairly inefficient format).
    Can you try with this version ?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  3. Kaldrax

Kaldrax

Hey I've started looking at this issue again, and I've updated Unity and downloaded the latest packman version, but I'm running into some new issues.

Is it no longer possible to play Alembics using script? I'm not using Timeline since my abcs are being used as instances and not in a cutscene/film.

4. Kaldrax

Kaldrax

I think I've run into a bug:

I've created a Timeline, made an Alembic Track, and added an Alembic Shot. When I go to drag and drop my AlembicStreamPlayer from my scene into the Stream Player on the AlembicShotAsset, it doesn't accept it most of the time, but sometimes if I click away and clicked back it'll allow it. If I click the dot next to the property slot to open up the browser, I only get a tab for Assets and not for the Scene. I was also able to drop an AlembicStreamPlayer from my Project browser into that property slot, but again, only sometimes.

5. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

This feels strange indeed. Would you be able to send a screen recording video where I can see where you click ?

6. Kaldrax

Kaldrax

Sure. Here ya go:

7. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

Clearly something fishy. For some reason your scene instances are not being recognized as StreamPlayers. Can you try to reinstantiate them?
    Also you're not supposed to be able to drive the prefab, only the scene instance will fix that on my end.
    You also need to drag the root of the imported alembic and not the child meshes. In fact you can drag the root object from the scene directly on the Timeline Alembic Track and it should make the clip for the StreamPlayer.

8. Kaldrax

Kaldrax

I tried re-instantiating them but got the same result.
    If I can't drive prefabs then maybe the plugin doesn't have the functionality I need anymore :( I need to be able to instantiate the alembics at runtime and then have them play.
    Those actually are the root objects! They're just both parented to a GameObject I created with a control script and a director on it. I tried dragging into the Timeline track but that didn't work either.

9. vladala

vladala

Unity Technologies

You can drive prefab instances and even the prefabs themselves (later being an unwanted supported behaviour.) The reason why prefabs should not be driven is that performance will be dismal and you are affecting every single instance in the scene, which is not what most people expect.

I am clueless as to what could be happening. At this point all I can offer is you could send me a slice of your geometry, or whatever file that is giving you trouble, privately along with exact unity and alembic version, and I will try to repro locally.