Search Unity

dll compatibility

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by bruceb85, Jul 3, 2022.

1. bruceb85

bruceb85

I'm building a .dll to use as a plugin. I am using the unityengine.dll from the apple silicon folder when creating it.
    When distributing this .dll will it be importable by users with unity windows, mac intel and mac silicon?
    I want to know if it is necessary to build for each type, or if one will do.

2. FaithlessOne

FaithlessOne

I am not totally sure on this topic, but I think I can provide some help here.

I am also using external Libraries (DLLs) and importing them into Unity for my game project. I am using Unity 2021.3 and compiling the external Libraries for .NET Standard 2.1 (which is at least support beginning from Unity 2021.2). While Unity does the importing of the external Libaries, Unity does also do some compilation/preparation in the background clearly related to the Mono runtime. Because .NET Standard is not tied to any platform and Unity does the compilation/preparation stuff means that you only need to provide the DLLs once and Unity does all the things required to get the code later on different platforms like mac, windows and so on. But this is my understanding of the topic. If anyone knows something different, I am also glad to read.

Bunny83 likes this.