Search Unity

Distribution and copy protection of Unity games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rapidrunner, Mar 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murgilod

Murgilod

Ah, I was wrong, you're just being childish. Why else would you dig a thread up that had been buried because there was nothing else to say? Are you really that desperate to go to bat to for the person who complained that saying being against copy protection was something that liberal SJWs were doing? The people in this thread have pretty much all either shipped games themselves or have worked on shipped games.

Either act like a grownup or go home.

2. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

Hmm first I am a DRM plant, and now a child, your imaginations are nearly limitless. Good on you!

With helpful analysis like this I can see the level of "adult" conversation you engage in. (chuckle)

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Check your reading comprehension. I called you a DRM plant to mock the ridiculous premise of your argument and I did not call you a child, I said you were being childish.

4. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

No no, please go ahead, Your very adult imagination is fascinating. What next? Maybe I am a submarine? Or a satellite!. Perhaps leaving imaginations and conspiracy theories out of the threads and concentrating on answering the OP question would be best.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  5. We did that on the first three pages. He asked what we do. We said we work on our application instead, because DRM does not worth it. End of story. What else do you want?

Antypodish and AcidArrow like this.
  6. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Did the OP have a question? He asked about copy protection, we replied, then he dismissed our replies.

Do you have a question?

7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

By this logic all classrooms should be run by their students. ;)

8. Antypodish

Antypodish

@ThySpektre please add something valuable to the context of this thread, if having something to discuss, rather than pointing pitchforks at group, or individuals. Else, you are leading now toward closing this thread at best.

angrypenguin likes this.
  9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You mean the people who do the cracking? I don't believe so.

In the context of this conversation, that'd be a first-timer's implementation of copy protection vs. people who crack this stuff for fun and have been doing so for years.

It could make commercial sense if you're a big publisher, rely on early game sales, and can afford both cutting edge protection systems and experts to implement them. For anyone else... do the math.

10. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

Most of what I read was not "What you did" but why the idea was bad.

11. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

Yes he had a question. "What is your experience with publishing and protecting your work?" That it was missed by most is evident.

12. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

By this logic, full grown adults are children.

13. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

I'd agree that is likely good advice in all replies, thus the comment I made originally. The OP asked as reasonable question and instead received pitchforks.

14. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

And most of us said we did nothing to protect our work. Then we were dismissed.

15. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

No. The people being referenced were the same referenced by you, " You're right, some people pirate stuff by copy-pasting files..."

16. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

I'm not sure where the "most" calculation comes from, but to sample I went back and read the first 8 replies in the thread. Only one, yours, stated such.

17. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

The fundamental issue is that some people take a road; and think that it is the right one. As such; they feel entitled to consider anything that does not fit in their narrow spectrum of possibilities, an inconsistency.

This is the internet, here even the nobody can be someone, as long as they believe it; this is the place where people say that the earth is flat, and that we were never on the moon; the place where the PhD is on the same level of the person that learned at "university of life" and work as "CEO of myself".

As such, you learn to take the info that are actually useful, and discard the rest. The ones that posted here about their experiences, did it with the understanding that they were explaining their workflow and their pros and cons about different methods of piracy protection. The objective was just that; and I did get the feeling that I was more into a philosophical argument, more than a technical, so that did quickly turn off my desire to even chat about the topic anymore :)

Then someone may complain about the fact that "if you don't want to listen what we say, why do you even ask"; which is why I just moved on. If you have nothing nice to say, better to say nothing at all.

ThySpektre likes this.
  18. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Can we lock this now?

Antypodish likes this.
  19. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

By any means; let's lock it, otherwise people get upset.

20. ThySpektre

ThySpektre

Locking threads is a racket! ;)

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I agree with the people asking for a lock and have made it so. Please use your time on the Unity forums to develop your games or just share the journey.

Bans coming for future childish behaviour. Just because I was away developing my game in Unity, doesn't mean the usual suspects can come out and start fires. Consider this a formal warning.

You're here to enjoy Unity, not take pot shots at each other. Fact.

@zombiegorilla @Eric5h5 will get you if I don't.

Socrates, ThySpektre, Amon and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.