Search Unity

Distorted animation mesh unity/3ds max

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Alexlol25, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Alexlol25

Alexlol25

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and started using unity a couple weeks ago. I've learned quite a few few things and trying to complete my first game.

I am currently using 3ds max for character creation/animation and then importing to unity but I'm having an issue with the mesh in unity. In 3ds max the mesh is smooth during the animation but in unity it's not. Here are 2 screenshots:

1st from 3ds max at frame #5:
    1.JPG

2nd one in unity(FBX format) at frame #5:
    2.JPG

Can anyone help me identify where the issue is? Maybe some settings i need to change?

Thanks,
    Alex

2. Bill_Martini

Bill_Martini

My guess would be you don't have your mesh rigged properly. Are you using humanoid or generic for the animation?

3. Alexlol25

Alexlol25

I'm using generic for the animation.

Sorry for the noob question but does unity redo the animations entirely or it just takes whatever is done in 3ds max? If the mesh was not rigged properly wouldn't the animation look bad in 3ds max too?

Thanks and happy new year :)

4. Alexlol25

Alexlol25

I fixed the problem. It turned out to be a setting in Unity after all regarding the Blend Weights setting under Quality.

The default setting for mesh skinning with bones is 2 in Unity and changing it to 4 fixed the mesh distortions.

Hope that helps anyone having mesh issues :D

AncorG1985 and Bill_Martini like this.
  5. AncorG1985

AncorG1985

omg man you fix my problem also, thank you so much.

6. Abronola

Abronola

Capturee greg trgtrg.PNG I tried to alter it in Unity but it still didn't change for me.

7. AngryProgrammer

AngryProgrammer

I'm not sure, but could the display issue simply be related to different render pipelines? In Unity, the URP (Universal Render Pipeline) is used, and imported models often need to be converted to URP.

Intro to Creative Core will be also good: LINK.

8. Abronola

Abronola

Thank you, I tried it but it still isn't working. The demon is still distorted but the other chef model is still looking great. Any other suggestions?
    chef ok.PNG distort demon.PNG