Search Unity

Disposing of NativeArray<ArchetypeChunk> with IJobParallelFor

Discussion in 'Data Oriented Technology Stack' started by MartijnGG, Aug 31, 2018.

1. MartijnGG

MartijnGG

I've been trying out the ArchetypeChunks and EntityArchetypeQuery to try and optimise some work by splitting the work per chunk of entities, instead of per X entities.

Currently the psuedo code looks as following:

Code (CSharp):
    1. var array = EntityManager.CreateArchetypeChunkArray(scoreQuery, Allocator.TempJob);
    2. var scoreType = GetArchetypeChunkComponentType<Score>();
    4. var jobHandle = new ScoringJob
    5. {
    6.     Chunks = array,
    7.     ScoreType = scoreType,
    8. }.Schedule(array.Length, 1, inputDeps);
    10. return jobHandle;
    This caused some issues with the allocated NativeArray, as it needs to be disposed of when this job has completed.
    How would I best Dispose of this, without calling jobHandle.Complete() followed by array.Dispose() of the chunks?

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

[DeallocateOnJobCompletion]

3. MartijnGG

MartijnGG

Using this attribute seems to cause it to deallocate once one of the parallel scheduled jobs is completed, instead of after the entire batch is done.

Update: I'm not sure why, but when I try to reproduce the error now again to get the log for this topic.. it is no longer happening.
    I'm very sorry about that!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  4. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Will this be possible to do on NativeLists also? I tried and got a message that it was not supported.

Lennart

5. iam2bam

iam2bam

Had a hard time finding this... Maybe because the word Dispose is written everywhere else instead of deallocation.

6. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

No, NativeList, NativeQueue, Native(Multi)HashMap hasn't [NativeContainerSupportsDeallocateOnJobCompletion] attribute, and thus not support [DeallocateOnJobCompletion] by design reasons, I think they not will be support this in future, but maybe I'm wrong and @Joachim_Ante says that :)