Search Unity

Question Display1, Display2, vCam1, vCam2 - how to assign?

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by Unifikation, Jan 21, 2023.

1. Unifikation

Unifikation

I didn't change the PP version from your original file.

Main issue is that the 360 degree motion blur isn't doing much more than about 30 degrees of motion blur, if that.

360 degrees of motion blur should be across ALL the differences between one frame and the next. 720 (available in After Effects) is across two full frames.

2. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

That would be a post-processing thing, not a Cinemachine thing. CM just applies the PP profiles you set up.

3. Unifikation

Unifikation

Agreed... more specifically, it's this newer PP stack, the much older one I'm normally using is slightly better at this.

I'm showing you this as a "thank you", a give-back, because Motion Blur is the single best "post effect" for rendering film, product, arch, cars etc, which seems to be an area of interest to Unity.

I presume product rendering with Unity is almost exclusively done with CM. And the first major issue will be "how to get a filmic shutter-like look" as this, alone, improves digital renderings more than any other single "trick" and ads perceived value/quality. Especially with 24P, which is horrendous without it, yet sumptuous and welcoming with great motion blurs.

4. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Not nearly as true as I would like it to be.

One word: HDRP. That's what it's for.

5. Unifikation

Unifikation

So no way to ensure full frame 360 degree motion blur with Builtin?

On HDRP - if I wanted to learn a whole new way, I'd probably take the time to consider the other option... which seems to have been a pattern for many others at that inflection point... whereupon they don't seem to come back.

Perhaps the less real option gives more real results, more easily.

6. Unifikation

Unifikation

Layers... is it possible for a Cinemachine Post Processing extension to only apply its post processing to a subset of the total layers?

And, if it is, how do I then apply a different post processing stack to another subset of layers, from on the same camera?

I'm not seeing how to do this, or if this is possible, at all.

7. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

This is more of a PostProcessing question, not a CM question. You put a PostProcessingLayer component on the camera, and in it you specify the layers that the postprocessing should affect.

I don't know off the top of my head whether you can have multiple PPLayer components on the same camera, specifying different layers. You could try it.

8. Unifikation

Unifikation

You're right... definitely PP stuff. Just as a heads up, it doesn't work as you describe, for me. And never has. It's kind of all or nothing. If it works, it's on all layers, regardless of which layer is chosen. If it's not working (no layers) it's influencing no layers. So I haven't even been able to get it to work on a selected/unique layer to begin thinking about how to make two different PP stacks work at the same time on different layers.

I suspect the "layers" for Post Processing are really only about sensing Volume locations, and thereby making it possible to "mask" out certain volumes from influencing weightings, by putting them on different layers.