Search Unity

Display Resolution Dialog Deprecation

Discussion in 'Windows' started by UnityDev44, Dec 13, 2019.

1. UnityDev44

UnityDev44

Unity Technologies

As was noted in our 2019.1 blog post, the Display Resolution Dialog, also known as Screen Selector, has been removed from Unity.

Based on user data and customer research, we found out that it is one of the first things the vast majority of our developers disable when building their standalone players, and it frequently goes unused. We deprecated the dialog in 2019.1, and have completely removed the feature in 2019.3.

The new Input System will work as the replacement for the input mappings, and all of the remaining functionality of the dialog is available via the Player Settings menu, scripting API, or Command Line Arguments for each option. Starting with 2019.3, when the default resolution is changed in the Player Settings, it will take precedence over the stored player preferences on the next run. If you have any questions, feel free to comment.

Marcos-Elias and dog_funtom like this.
  2. Scott-Steffes

Scott-Steffes

It makes sense that it isn't worth maintaining the resolution dialogue when so few people use it.
    This has created one problem for me though.
    I'm working on a drawing app that's intended to run on screen tablets. People usually don't set their screen tablet as their main display so I've kept the resolution dialogue on to allow people to select their monitor before launching the game.
    The rest of the resolution dialogue I don't need as it can be easily replicated in-game.

So I'm trying to figure out the proper way to set which monitor the app runs on. I'm aware of the command line option to set the monitor, but I need a dropdown to allow the user to select the monitor themselves. Is the only way to do this to write your own custom launcher? Is there a reasonable way to change the monitor from within the main application?

As this is a drawing app I need to create an OSX as well as an Windows version.

On Windows it's also possible to change the monitor by pressing windows key+shift+arrow (right or left)
    But I would rather not have to instruct my users to do this.

cxode, dog_funtom and UnityDev44 like this.
  3. UnityDev44

UnityDev44

Unity Technologies

dog_funtom likes this.
  4. cxode

cxode

So if we want our users to be able to choose the display the game runs on, we're expected to code an entire custom launcher? That seems excessive to me. Why can't there be a Display.SetActiveDisplay(int displayIndex) function?

yhosoda likes this.
  5. UnityDev44

UnityDev44

Unity Technologies

You can use
    PlayerPrefs.SetInt("UnitySelectMonitor", 0);
    . This will require a restart of the player to take effect as it leverages the preferences. This should work as a stopgap solution until a proper API is in place for window position management. Hope that is helpful!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    cxode likes this.
  6. UnityDev44

UnityDev44

Unity Technologies

7. cxode

cxode

That is extremely helpful. Thank you very much!

UnityDev44 likes this.
  8. cxode

cxode

@abbapamela are there other secret PlayerPrefs settings?

9. XCVG

XCVG

@JimmyCushnie What I've gathered from my own experimentation (don't take this as definitive):

Screenmanager Resolution Width

Screenmanager Resolution Height

Both fairly self explanatory.

Screenmanager Fullscreen mode
    is fullscreen/windowed mode, using the same integer values as FullScreenMode (0 for fullscreen exclusive, 1 for borderless, 2 for maximized, 3 for a normal window).

To the guys at Unity: This is inherently fragile, and I'd really like to see an API for setting these values directly or at least disabling the persistent behavior now that resolution setting is always our responsibility.

LilGames and cxode like this.
  10. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Agreed, the player pref is a stopgap solution. We are planning to investigate/add an API to move the window to different monitors.

cxode likes this.
  11. Marcos-Elias

Marcos-Elias

So... No way to continue using the old input system, letting the user to set up their controls there?

IMHO this was a really bad, bad decision. Since there is no ready to use replacement for all that features yet. Migrating to the new input system was not on my plans right now, due to all user interfaces that must to be created =/

I was using 2019.3 for mobile where I found better overall performance than 2018.x... But for desktops migration would take a longer time, so let's stay with 2018.x for a while. :(

cxode likes this.
  12. cxode

cxode

I agree, I think it is a big regression to remove the old launcher without adding a new launcher. Unless the developers of a game spend many hours coding custom UI, that game will now be far far less user friendly than it was before. In particular I think game jams are going to suffer a lot from this change.

13. FreedTerror

FreedTerror

Hi there i'm trying to use the scripts from the screen selector project and I keep getting this error while trying to build it.
    is there a certain way to use the scripts without causing this error?

UnityDev44 likes this.
  14. UnityDev44

UnityDev44

Unity Technologies

The file that it is looking for is the executable built from the project.
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...SelectorExampleProject/LauncherExecutable/x86

My guess is that maybe your anti-virus software is removing the file as it is an executable, or something along those lines. If you would like to build the file yourself, all the code to do so is there. (https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/DesktopSamples/tree/master/ScreenSelectorExample/WindowsPlayer)
    The Visual Studio solution file is there, and you should be able to build the executable (in this case x86) and place the file in the directory that it is looking for the executable.

Let me know if that is not helpful. :)

FreedTerror and cxode like this.
  15. FreedTerror

FreedTerror

I was able to figure it out I just built my project like normal then replaced and renamed the executable with the correct one from the screen selector LauncherExecutable folder. Still sad to see the display resolution dialog option removed, but at least we have this. Thanks :)

16. Brady

Brady

If you're going to start removing things people rely on, it might be nice to provide a thorough explanation of the best practices to replace that functionality. For example, from my searching around, it is unclear how to write new quality settings such that they'll be automatically picked up by the player when it is run. From my testing, QualitySettings.SetQualityLevel() seems to do it, but the documentation isn't clear that this sets a persistent setting rather than just changing the settings for that run. And the only way to learn this for yourself through testing is by building a stand-alone player, since from what I've experienced, the editor doesn't obey persistent quality settings as it uses the currently selected quality in the editor settings.

kurotatsu, zarmonela, soleron and 3 others like this.
  17. Codexus

Codexus

Very annoying I was counting on that for my Ludum Dare entry. The display resolution dialog was not the most elegant thing in the world for a finished game but when sharing a game jam prototype: it's perfect!

Ferazel likes this.
  18. cxode

cxode

"User data and customer research" be damned, this is a big step back. I really hope Unity re-adds the old launcher, or even better, makes a new launcher.

zarmonela, LilGames, deus0 and 2 others like this.
  19. Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker

Agreed, came back to Unity after a 4 year break to find not only has so little progressed in terms of features, but useful stuff has actually been removed. I only came across this thread because I couldn't find the damn setting to turn this on to quickly prototype a project only to find out the whole thing is gone with no replacement o_O

20. tconkling

tconkling

Ugh, I hate to pile on, but: it's really upsetting this feature was removed because "we found out that it is one of the first things the vast majority of our developers disable when building their standalone players".

This is almost certainly true *when a game is released commercially* - but certainly not during prototyping, game jams, etc.

The resolution dialog is (was?) a useful development tool. Removing it entirely because you shouldn't _ship a game with it_ is like removing the default GUI skin and requiring everyone to design their own from day 1. You should have custom GUI art when you ship - but it's entirely appropriate to put off till late in development!

(I'm particularly salty about this because we have an internal prototype build to ship to a publisher, and I didn't realize this feature was removed. The publisher *does not care*, at this early early stage of development, whether we've made a nice looking settings screen. But: *we do care* that they're able to select the right resolution and quality settings for their machine, so that the game runs smoothly and looks nice.)

Neiist, LilGames, Ghosthowl and 9 others like this.
  21. Brady

Brady

I have to echo what @tconkling said. One of the chief advantages and attractive aspects of Unity, particularly for indie devs, is the ease of prototyping. And that doesn't just mean in-editor, but being able to make a fully-functional built player without having to do all the boilerplate stuff yourself. Yes, we will all eventually do the boilerplate stuff further down the production pipeline, but that doesn't mean it isn't HUGELY valuable to have adequate placeholders ready for use in the early phases. A lot of game concepts never even make it into full production, but the ability to rapidly iterate on them, make them fail, and discard them so we can move on to the next concept, is critically important. Raising the level of difficulty and effort required to get that early out-of-the-box functionality lowers the value proposition of the engine itself.

Neiist, LilGames, Ghosthowl and 5 others like this.
  22. Ferazel

Ferazel

I agree that this window was very useful for prototype, game jam, and just test build situations. The dialog certainly wasn't professional but it worked. However, when getting the game up and running in a prototype fashion it was perfect until a fully fleshed out options screen could be made.

I'm not too concerned with the loss of the quality/input mapper, but the resolution/monitor picking is sorely missing and there isn't a multi-platform runtime API yet to query/pick a monitor such that we can't provide that functionality in the game options screen even if we wanted to? Command line arguments and player prefs are not a solution for end users when distributing builds. Bad Unity, BAD!

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  23. Murgilod

Murgilod

I am genuinely amazed to see that Unity Technologies went through with this without a simple and elegant replacement. Who was involved in the decision making progress and why didn't anyone go "okay, but we should have a way to pick the resolution, window mode, and display in place before deprecating this?"

It's a genuine headscratcher as to why anyone would do this and go "just make a custom launcher or use these command line args."

24. cxode

cxode

My biggest problem with Unity is that they're out of touch with what actual developers need and want. This is a perfect example.

25. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

26. cxode

cxode

Thank you very much for making this. Obviously it's not a full replacement, but it's a heck of a lot better than nothing.

27. veddycent

veddycent

This is a reckless move!

If you're going to re-place a tool with another you replace it when the new version is ready.

I hope Unity do the right thing and bring it back!

Jason-Bryant and Jingle-Fett like this.
  28. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

This is bullshit. I regularly use that feature because I often make new empty projects so I can experiment and code a particular feature in complete isolation and when I make a test build I've often NOT implemented a UI for doing resolution, input rebinding, etc.
    Even in actual game, like my own BHB: BioHazard Bot on steam, I kept that feature hidden but still enabled so that if player holds shift or alt it shows up. The reason for this is that if the player sets the graphics/resolution higher than what their system can handle in the game's settings menu by mistake, they have an option for changing the settings outside of the game. This was useful when I was testing the game on lower end machines and wasn't sure how it would run.

Bring this feature back you idiots or provide an alternative. Seriously, what the hell are you guys smoking?

EDIT: Also, if this is the 2019.1 blog post you're talking about, it said nothing about the feature being removed, only that it would be disabled by default.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
    Jason-Bryant and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  29. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

To be fair, I have never been a fan of the old resolution selector. I never thought it felt production ready for commercial use, and I usually disabled it immediately and replaced it with my own menus in game. But I definitely do see the point about game jams and quick prototypes, though.

30. cxode

cxode

I imagine that a supermajority of projects made in Unity are game jams and quick prototypes.

soleron and bob_the_pr_bot like this.
  31. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Not to mention projects explicitly not made for public distribution, in our case that would be trade fairs and company internal apps for marketing / demonstration purposes that need to run both on the big screen on high-end computers with dedicated graphics but also on low-end business notebooks with integrated graphics - and to support that the resolution dialog was just ... available at no additional development cost. It did its job just fine being able to choose the two main balancing factors when it comes to pick either quality or performance: setting resolution and quality level and that's it.

32. Rarykos

Rarykos

Make Display Resolution Dialog optional. As it was.
    Just another expense and a slowdown for business developers.
    It feels bad when Unity decides to waste our money & time.
    Remove the optional dialog only when you have a replacement ready. I see there are problems with your current replacement in the command line. This is just very unprofessional.

soleron, Jason-Bryant and Jingle-Fett like this.
  33. ezmicken

ezmicken

What a blunder!
    Today I upgraded my project from 2018 LTS to 2019 LTS and found the feature i use every day is gone.
    The point of deprecation is to discourage use of one method in favor of another.
    The feature is now completely gone and it's "replacement" is not ready and far more difficult to use.
    If this is the way Unity moves now I worry about it's future.

34. Politician

Politician

What would you deprecate next? Legacy animations, skyboxes maybe? Don't support it. Leave it as a freaking option, no one's harmed because of it.

soleron and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  35. yuki2006

yuki2006

I have a question is why these are used.
    (I have to change and delete the registry)

It will cause troubles, so I would like you to give priority to the item of Unity project setting.

・Screenmanager Resolution Width
    ・Screenmanager Resolution Height
    ・Screenmanager Fullscreen mode

36. grrava

grrava

Question: I last started a build of my game with some debug sized window for testing. Since then I updated to 2019.4 and since I have no dialog anymore, how do I change back to fullscreen? My game keeps starting with the settings I once set?

37. ULTRAWEN

ULTRAWEN

This is very bad. It's good when there was a choice whether to launch a dialog box or not. I am already tired of constant changes. You install a new version and instead of working, you're looking for solutions to make things work that used to work.

38. Antan

Antan

This is horrible. As stated before, I currently have 10 projects that I revisit, to test assets and experimenting. And I help friends with their games.

A huge thanks to Steffen Itterheim! A package makes it a lot easier than the github repo. Still. Not looking forward to installing the package 10 times a year.

A reasonable approach for "the vast majority of our developers disable when building their standalone players" would have been to disable it. Not to remove it completely.

39. Austin-Jacob

Austin-Jacob

I swear who ever is in charge rarely uses smart thinking, if at all.

Unity is driving itself into the ground by constantly removing aspects that many users rely on for prototyping. Yes, we can just make our own, but for networking and other uses that little box was a must.

Unity is destroying itself in a feeble attempt to become unreal engine 2.0 instead of focusing on the main reason people started using Unity in the first place.
    (Don't even get me started on D.O.T.S, the new networking solution that *cough* never came out *cough*, or what ever the hell is going on with the different graphic pipelines.)

Jingle-Fett likes this.
  40. huxley

huxley

Yeah, supremely stupid move Unity. I routinely use the dialogue resolution selector to export game videos at various resolutions. Even if I did not explicitly utilize the dialogue in a game build, the fact that I could force activate it on launch gave me the flexibility to use different resolutions without having to engineer an in game resolution selection in early builds. At the very least you should take the temperature of the community before completely removing engine features that have existed since day one of your engine.

41. DGordon

DGordon

I'll take you one further: projects explicity made for public distribution, but that have the same exact issues as you just mentioned. IE: educational software in schools.

42. DGordon

DGordon

Please remember that there are paying customers who may not use Unity the same way the "vast majority of developers" do. I work in the educational software field, which doesn't always have the same expectations as commercial games, etc! :) Just throwing that out there so we're not swept under the rug because we're different!

43. Brady

Brady

And also remember that just because something isn't used in final, production builds doesn't mean it isn't used by the vast majority of developers. I mean, I don't see the profiler in ANY production builds, but I sure hope Unity doesn't conclude from that that it should be removed!

44. Lenakeiz

Lenakeiz

It would be interested to know, what kind of user research you have done for doing something so horrible. How can I now change between displays at runtime?

Faye-Euler and soleron like this.
  45. Boemak

Boemak

Please put this back......

Testing multiple clients it is extremely easy to set a custom resolution via the launcher.
    The code was also already there......

deus0 likes this.
  46. deus0

deus0

Hey SteffenItterheim, the plugin works mostly.. except changing the monitor! I am on Linux though. The only way to change the monitor is by windowing it, moving it manually, and full screening it again! I wonder if anyone has any work arounds..

47. soleron

soleron

One of the biggest mistakes in Unity's history.
    Proof? People keep talking about it.

This was one of the reasons why so many people relied on Unity.
    You are slowly but steadily killing every single reason large or small that made Unity the first choice for small developers and creative people.

People who were not programmers and were able to make an application that also had a simple yet useful settings menu and the performance could be adapted to the machine the application was used on without anyone having to lift a finger.

Perfect for designers, architects, etc etc. Now people have an app, which is stuck in one performance mode, and there is no way to do anything about it without learning how to code :D As if you have nothing else to do.

Who is this "majority"?
    How did you come up with that decision?

Why couldn't you let those experts who always disable it with a single line of code, keep doing that, instead of leaving thousands of people who do not know how to code without an easy useful and free solution?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2021
    LilGames and cxode like this.
  48. soleron

soleron

On the other hand many others always used it and all the people who were using the applications were using it and could easily adapt performance and presentation to match their hardware from a simple and obvious menu. It was perfectly fine and quite a few games used it too, without having to waste their time creating a basic settings menu.

If your game doesn't use many exotic features (which is the case with oh so many indie Unity developers) that was all the settings you needed. And that is why it is still surprising that Unity came up with the idea that most people do not use it...

Tzan and cxode like this.
  49. maewionn

maewionn

Bad move, unity. Really, really bad. Killing off features that ease the hurdles for new game devs is never a good idea.

Lenakeiz, Thom_Denick, Tzan and 2 others like this.
  50. Thom_Denick

Thom_Denick

Well it's been two weeks since someone complained about this being removed. We need this for quick prototyping.

Lenakeiz and Tzan like this.