Search Unity

Display Resolution Dialog Deprecation

Discussion in 'Windows' started by UnityDev44, Dec 13, 2019.

1. cxode

cxode

I'm still in disbelief that they removed the launcher and didn't replace it with anything. How can Unity not see what an awful regression this is? I've been inconvenienced dozens of times now by its removal.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

It's been a year and a half, why is this still such a situation? I'm in a game jam right now and the fact I have to roll back to a version of Unity from over a year ago is pretty messed up.

3. Ferazel

Ferazel

kujiji1, cxode, mgear and 1 other person like this.
  4. deus0

deus0

And yet they are in progress with dock/container support :O xD corporate priorities lol

5. LucasWorks

LucasWorks

Right now I need the quality window to test my prototype and where is it???? Gone due to Unity's lack of professionalism in trying to become the next Unreal Engine. This is pathetic and they sure did it just thinking about themselves to avoid more work.

You're digging your own grave...Stop focusing on graphics and keep the tool working for your true audience!

andrei-macaria and Tzan like this.
  6. deus0

deus0

Firstly, unity has always held a stronger position then unreal in the market haha.
    Secondly, I think they finally released better window tools, at least code wise, in the 2021 beta release? Well I just saw this video on the latest unity beta:
    https://odysee.com/@gamefromscratch:1/unity-2021.2-beta-released-new-features:a
    Looking forward to trying it out, could definitely make a custom launcher easier if they have back end tools to control the resolution and windows! Still getting linux editor crashes though so im sticking to the lts version until that is fixed.

7. LilGames

LilGames

404 Error. Wonderful.

Let me add my displeasure at this feature removal too.

cxode likes this.
  8. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

I see no reason why they did this ("based on data and customer research" is about as valid as "based on a true story"). It was a dumb decision to remove it. If you really think it was bugging developers so much (didn't bother me, I just turned it off if I wanted to get rid of it) then make it turned *off* by default instead of completely removing it. Crazy right? I know, late to the game on this as it's years now since this has been removed but it's annoying that we have to either write our own solutions or look at a third party system for quick and dirty fixes to something that was party of the ecosystem. I don't have time in quick prototypes or game jams to drop in some kind of replacement. This was a highly useful feature for multiplayer testing for example where i could quickly launch 3 different instances running at 800x600 so I can see the interactions, then go back to fullscreen builds for normal testing. Oh well.

maewionn, deus0, Marcos-Elias and 3 others like this.
  9. studentvz

studentvz

Unbelievable. What a stupid idiotic idea to remove this feature.

Wait a minute, why do I sound surprised? I should not be, I'm used to things like this from Unity. When will you introduce a new renderer pipeline? I think that we need 2 or 3 more on top of the current ones.

10. Leonard_InitializeGame

Leonard_InitializeGame

Well, I guess Unity just lazy to spent time bring up those dialog with new version since Unity need consider the opinion of client who think those dialog is useless
    Such as us indie developer who making some mini game or prototype not giving the value to Unity is not an option to affect their decision

maewionn likes this.
  11. maewionn

maewionn

It's amazing how much flak unity is still getting for this and not responding.

12. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

It's very much what they consider a "small" thing and they beat to their own drum. Similar to a configurable package cache location, it's been years asking for it. What users consider important Unity pushes to the back burner and an afterthought.

13. d3st1ny33

d3st1ny33

Welp, time to write my own launcher. Thanks, unity

14. enhawk

enhawk

@abbapamela

Resolution dialog was the only way to enable Stereo Display.

Moving forward with the new dialog-less setup, is there a way to get the same display detection for 3d projectors, 3D TVs and light-field displays that Resolution Dialog offered?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  15. LilGames

LilGames

Marcos-Elias likes this.
  16. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

@Andy-Touch any chance we could get an update on the current state of the Display Resolution Dialog? It's clear from this thread that pretty much nobody supports the decision to remove it, and we still don't have a replacement. If it's going to be some time before the new version is ready then please reinstate old one back in the meantime and just leave it Off by default if it's a problem. I'd rather have the old one back than have nothing.

shwa likes this.
  17. UnityDev44

UnityDev44

Unity Technologies

Hey all,

I wanted to let you know that this dialog is still on our radar. We have not forgotten about it, and want to make sure we do it right if we do bring it back. We do still hear you. Thanks for being understanding.

_FLX, LilGames, enhawk and 1 other person like this.
  18. cxode

cxode

[edit: an unconstructive comment was removed just before this post.]

That is not a constructive comment. Thank you @abbapamela for the update, I for one appreciate it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    LilGames and enhawk like this.
  19. Jingle-Fett

Jingle-Fett

Can you bring back the old one until the new one is ready?

Nolex, enhawk and cxode like this.
  20. Arealight

Arealight

One year later, still nothing with Resolution Display dialog :(

21. Tortuap

Tortuap

What a mess.

22. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

I wanted to let you know the radar is still very dusty after a year and a half.

23. LilGames

LilGames

Lenakeiz likes this.