Search Unity

Display Resolution Dialog Deprecation

Discussion in 'Windows' started by abbapamela, Dec 13, 2019.

1. abbapamela

abbapamela

Unity Technologies

As was noted in our 2019.1 blog post, the Display Resolution Dialog, also known as Screen Selector, has been removed from Unity.

Based on user data and customer research, we found out that it is one of the first things the vast majority of our developers disable when building their standalone players, and it frequently goes unused. We deprecated the dialog in 2019.1, and have completely removed the feature in 2019.3.

The new Input System will work as the replacement for the input mappings, and all of the remaining functionality of the dialog is available via the Player Settings menu, scripting API, or Command Line Arguments for each option. Starting with 2019.3, when the default resolution is changed in the Player Settings, it will take precedence over the stored player preferences on the next run. If you have any questions, feel free to comment.

dog_funtom likes this.
  2. markv12

markv12

It makes sense that it isn't worth maintaining the resolution dialogue when so few people use it.
    This has created one problem for me though.
    I'm working on a drawing app that's intended to run on screen tablets. People usually don't set their screen tablet as their main display so I've kept the resolution dialogue on to allow people to select their monitor before launching the game.
    The rest of the resolution dialogue I don't need as it can be easily replicated in-game.

So I'm trying to figure out the proper way to set which monitor the app runs on. I'm aware of the command line option to set the monitor, but I need a dropdown to allow the user to select the monitor themselves. Is the only way to do this to write your own custom launcher? Is there a reasonable way to change the monitor from within the main application?

As this is a drawing app I need to create an OSX as well as an Windows version.

On Windows it's also possible to change the monitor by pressing windows key+shift+arrow (right or left)
    But I would rather not have to instruct my users to do this.

3. abbapamela

abbapamela

Unity Technologies

dog_funtom likes this.
  4. JimmyCushnie

JimmyCushnie

So if we want our users to be able to choose the display the game runs on, we're expected to code an entire custom launcher? That seems excessive to me. Why can't there be a Display.SetActiveDisplay(int displayIndex) function?

unityunity