Search Unity

Display of non-ascii symbols in GUI

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CoherentInk, Mar 26, 2009.

1. CoherentInk

CoherentInk

I'm wondering if there is a way to display symbols in the text in the GUI system. For example, I would like to display the symbol for degrees ˚ (option-k on a Mac) in a label in the GUI. Any idea how to do this or if it is even possible?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Just use option-k as usual. If the font was imported as Unicode, then it will work fine.

--Eric

3. CoherentInk

CoherentInk

For some reason this isn't working with the default GUISkin and font. It came up as a ? instead of the symbol.

Also, apologies for putting this in the wrong forum. If the moderators have the power, please move this thread to the Unity GUI forum.

4. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

The assets for the default font should be available in the GUI section of the forums. You can look at those and see if the degree symbol is in the font (I don't think it is). If it isn't, you'll need to either modify the font and add the symbol, or import a font that includes the symbol.

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The default GUI font does indeed have the degree symbol (but it's so small it looks like a dot). If you're setting the text by script, you probably have to make sure your text editor is using Unicode.

--Eric