Search Unity

Displacing vertex

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by jan1984, Jun 13, 2008.

1. jan1984

jan1984

hi guys i have this simple shader wherein i want to displace the vertices but i get the error "" on line 23.Cud somebody point out wat i'm doing wrong?

Shader "Underwater Effect" {
    Properties {
    _Color ("Main Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    _MainTex ("Base (RfGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    }

Pass {

CGPROGRAM
    #pragma vertex vert

#include "UnityCG.cginc"
    #include "AutoLight.cginc"

uniform float4 _MainTex_ST;

vert (appdata_base v)
    {
    float Waviness = 5.0f;
    v.vertex.x += Mathf.Sin(Time.time + v.vertex.y * 0.1f) * Waviness;
    }
    ENDCG

}

Fallback "Diffuse"

}

another side question..
    do i need uniform float4 _MainTex_ST;?
    wat is that for?i actually copied my code from another shader and went on removing unwanted stuff.the above variable was not getting used even in that shader but with a lot of things happening behind the curtains in shaderlab i didnt want to remove this 1

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Have you read the responses in your other topic? Really, you need to read the shaderlab docs. That code's not even Cg; there's no way it will come close to working.

--Eric

3. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Your shader like this gives 5 errors (no SubShader block, and the rest in Cg code).

Here is how it should be (I removed Properties block as well, you said you want minimal shader):
    Code (csharp):
    2. Shader "Underwater Effect" {
    3. SubShader {
    4. Pass {
    6. CGPROGRAM
    7. #pragma vertex vert
    8. #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    10. float4 vert (appdata_base v) : POSITION
    11. {
    12.     float Waviness = 5.0f;
    13.     v.vertex.x += sin(_Time.y + v.vertex.y * 0.1f) * Waviness;
    14.     return mul(glstate.matrix.mvp, v.vertex);
    15. }
    16. ENDCG
    18. }
    19. }
    20. }
    Basically, like someone replied in another thread, inside of shaders you don't have access to .NET calls (so no Time.time or Mathf.Sin there). Cg has a built-in function to calculate sine ("sin"). Time value can either be passed manually from your script, or you can use _Time built-in variable.

If you don't use it in the shader, then you don't need it. Variables ending with _ST are used by built-in Unity shaders to apply texture's tiling offset values. As your shader does not use textures, there's no tiling&offset to apply.

4. jan1984

jan1984

Thx dude that helped.Although not including the subshader part was my bad.i do have it in place.thx again

5. jan1984

jan1984

hey i lost track of that post for some reason and i checked it only after reading this 1.i apologize for that

well i did search for shaderlab docs but cudnt find 1 proper 1.do have any link where i cud find 1?i know cg but using it along with shaderlab has me confused and i feel like u cud combine the features for more powerful shaders.but yeah a shaderlab doc will definitely help as i'm totally new to it.
    Thx