Search Unity

Disk space keeps reducing during the training

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by WalkLearner, Apr 14, 2020.

1. WalkLearner

WalkLearner

I noticed that the disk space kept reducing during the training and tried to find out what exactly caused this issue but in vain. The size of the ml-agents folder stays approximately the same, and the generated checkpoints as well as the summaries do not occupy so much space. I start to wonder where exactly the cache produced by the training is and worry about deleting the cache would affect the training results, which is presumably not supposed to happen.

Did anyone also have the same issue? I'm currently training adversarial agents with selfplay over 10+ millions steps.

2. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

I'll flag this for the team to take a look. Can you share any console logs, as well as your python version & C# version?

3. WalkLearner

WalkLearner

My python version is 3.7.7 and the C# is 7.0. The training was running in Anaconda environment. The console logs were actually pretty regular like any self-play training, ELO, mean rewards, steps, etc. No errors occurred. Thanks in advance.

4. ChrissCrass

ChrissCrass

If you are using visual observations then this can be a cause of large buffer sizes, but there should be an upper limit to how much data is being saved. If very alrge models and summary files are accumulating, this could also be a cause.

Recently I had an issue where disk space was rapidly being used up, but in the end it was being caused by my own c# mistakes (I was creating a new mesh every fixed update instead of editing existing meshes). You should probably check to make sure that your scene itself isn't the cause of the problem.

arjun_blaze likes this.
  5. WalkLearner

WalkLearner

Thanks for the reply. In my case, I don't use visual observation or create, modify game objects. As I later did an experiment, training in the original scene from 0k to 12M steps, the training again significantly ate up 5gb of disk space. but surprisingly as I stopped the training, closed the terminal, reopened the terminal and restarted the training, the disk space suddenly freed up from remaining 17gb to remaining 22gb, a instant 5gb free space. I assume it is really related to the issue of cache from the training.

6. ChrissCrass

ChrissCrass

It sounds like the problem is with your scene. There is no way you are building up more than a gig of observations...

7. nights007

nights007

I have the same problem, disk space on C is slowly getting used. Wonder if it has something to do with CUDA...

8. nights007

nights007

Seems like the ML agents pushes enormous amounts of data to Editor.log, mine was over 20gb in size when i deleted it (could see that Unity was writing to it).

@WalkLearner Have a look at the file and see if its causing a problem for you too.
    C:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor\Editor.log

@ChrissCrass, why do you think there cant be issues beyond his scene? Seems a bit naive considering ML Agents just came out of preview a few weeks ago...

Attached Files:

NIZ_DX, pragmascript and ZRogers like this.
  9. Dorianosrex1

Dorianosrex1

Hi!
    I just got the same issue, in 2021. This is somehow still an issue. I've checked the LOG file and it was 66GB, taking a huge chunk of my petite 512GB M.2. Thank you, nights007 for suggesting this!

pragmascript likes this.
  10. celion_unity

celion_unity

What were the messages in the log? Were they coming from ML-Agents or something else?

11. arjun_blaze

arjun_blaze

I am facing a similar issue. Can you elaborate more on this?

12. arjun_blaze

arjun_blaze

The editor.log does not seem to be an issue for me. That file is in kb.

13. NIZ_DX

NIZ_DX

This worked for me. Found out that, my Editor.log file was more than 13 GB.

14. NicoBacc

NicoBacc

Hi guys, I faced the same problem with the Editor.log file during the training..is there a way to log less info/not logging at all during the training?

15. OmarVector

OmarVector

I've the same issue, even when training on cloud , it crashes printing out error : No space left on device

Did anyone managed to find out a solution or why this even happening?

Edit: to be more accurate, this effect also for release build, not just develop one

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023