Search Unity

[Discussion] What we wish Unity to do after Unreal 5 tech demo hype

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leeways, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leeways

Leeways

My thoughts might be immature or funny, but honesty can help the community and company grow in healthy way;

yeah, we all know the Unreal 5 hype now

They might oversell it, there are still a lot of unknown questions/issues for this promising-looking but still vague workflow
    (like how long import asset time for this huge raw data, build time? build size? etc etc)

But Unreal 5 found a very good market point to attract all attentions and shockwave the industry
    (or industries...)

even the promise might be released after one and half a year;

So as a unity user, what I wish Unity to do after this Unreal5 demo hype( different thoughts are welcomed)

1. Make watered-down Unreal 5 demo features on Unity's mobile gaming(With popular Asset Store plugins)

Because if on Mobile platform, ppl won't require too much for graphics;

Don't have the internal stats, but from industry news and my own exp, Unity's biggest base advantage is in mobile gaming area, the rise of mobile gaming in previous decade lifted up Unity, making it so popular among game developers,and expand to other area;

Before so-called 5G mobile game streaming become main-steam, Unity as first choice of mobile game development tool should not be altered;

Bring What Unreal 5 has promised for next year, to Unity mobile game development TODAY (with watered-down features or alternative solution)

Let's face it; On high-end graphic, I don't think Unity can compete (at-least not an easy task) with Unreal 5, and I agree with someone in forum, Unity doesn't have to compete in this field

Of course Unity can release some fancy demo to claim "we can do fancy graphic" to attract funds and investments, but don't forget daily users who use Unity to develop mobile games everyday, that's what called "majority"

What's biggest hype for Unreal 5 demo? Automation workflow

No need for manual LOD, no need for normal-maps, etc etc;

I'm regular asset-store user, and I've browsed my collections;

We have auto-LOD plugins, auto PBR texture plugins (like Forge), auto human rigging plugins, all in the asset store!

Of course these tools are in no shape or no way to be as fancy/pro as what Unreal delivers(or promise), but these tools are right now, right her, for everyone to use, in Unity!

Don't forget fantastic plugins like Final IK, puppet-master, dynamic bone (that's one of Unreal 5's promise, dynamic humanroid IK)

Imposter which can automaticaly generate fake geometry as quad texture to display huge amount of polygons in scene;
    Plus with auto-LOD plugin ( you can say that's a watered-down of Nanite;

Of course there are huge differences and buggy in some way,but still we don't know how really Nanite works, you know how those game trailer hypes used to be)

and more and more

Implement those top plugins in asset store as Unity features, make sure to improve them (bug-fix, work on mobile) and upgrade their functions,, now you have a slogan:

"While you dream for the future, we have SOLUTIONS on your PHONE, right here, right now" (just joke)

And for all those have purchased such plugins previously on asset-store, might repay them with vouchers

Epic's good at high-end graphic,Unity's good at mobile;

I've seen several titles on mobile using Unreal (pubg mobile etc), and I can say that's the field Unity have confidence to fight;

Many ppl will say 5G mobile game streaming will make Unreal 5 dominate everywhere, like I said, it's future, not now, what I suggest is something already existed and in use, if ppl only dream for future and don't care reality, Unity won't be a success

2. Provide more one-stop(Automation) solution

Why we love Unity in first place?

Because it's fast and easy to develop, one button to publish, and with so many asset store contents(including docs, examples etc)!

What we dislike Unity recently?

Too many pipelines, too many deprecated features(like that post-processing pack, and dynamic GI), and hdrp/urp doesn't support many asset store plugins!

ppl are lazy, I admit I'm lazy(I will improve that), why shall we re-write mobile water shader since I already have one in asset-store, but non-compatibility just stop me from using it, Unity should help asset-store developers to migrate their plugins better to URP pipeline, otherwise URP sounds like of little interest? For high-fidelity we use HDRP, for low-fidelity on mobile built-in is already good with so many plugins support;

If we really need to move to URP, how about some one-stop shader solution instead of writing specific shader on our own?
    for example, Unity anime shader solution! Based on Real-toon shader(plugin), Unity-chan shader, and several top performance asset store mobile anime shaders;

Unreal is good at realistic graphics, but as far as know, they don't have too much tools about anime shading (some deveopers have their own in-house Unreal anime shading but not public available), and anime style is a big thing in many markets (Asian, etc), not to mention Fortnite is also cartoon style

so how about making Unity the number 1 anime style game engine on market? with one-stop anime shading solution for different platforms, I'm sure we already have such tools, just need some migration;

DOTS and ECS are cool, but I still don't know how/when to use them, from what I've learned, they're mostly being used in crowd-simulations

So how about release an ECS package specifically on crowd-simulation(like mass grass-sway simualtion, mass flying objects simulation etc)? Just make some public methods (move to destination, gather together, scatter, etc) They're in very specific needs but very useful

ppl will say "we already have this, we already have that", yes, but how about migrate them as one-stop solution as one big release? that's what I as developer want to have as a next Unity feature (for example, Unity 2D's new light and shadow system, fantastic! )

just my two-cents thoughts, might be unrealistic, but hey, I want Unity to stay great, and that's my honest suggestions, I don't know if Unity staff will see this, but as long as this can serve to the community, that's fine

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    IllTemperedTunas, ippdev and protopop like this.
  2. Lex4art

Lex4art

Oh, TL TR.

3. Leeways

Leeways

Sorry I just typed whatever came to my mind, guess that Unreal 5 hype just too overwhelming (actually not that much)

in a nutshell, my suggestion is

1. Let Unity Borrow Unreal 5's AUTOMATION workflow idea, implement and improve already popular Asset-store plugins with similar(watered-down) functions as Unity new feature;

2. Promote those features on mobile platform (so that currently less awesome graphic can be forgiven)

3. Tell the audience why not try our tools to boost workflow speed on mobile development right now, instead of waiting A year and a half;

4. Before the 5G mobile game streaming is main thing, keep being the King of mobile game market;

Rewaken, Tanner555 and Lex4art like this.
  4. neginfinity

neginfinity

It will all fail, because the tech in question apparently was conceived 9 years ago, and even if whitepapers are released it will take time to replicate it. There's no reason to think it is going to fit for mobile platform either, and they won't have a "boost for workflow speed" right now due to technology not being there.

Basically you can't really do a thing about that unreal demo, because any sort of technological response you could possibly start making will be finished 1 or 2 years later. And by that time the demo will be forgotten.

Deleted User likes this.
  5. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

would be good if the engine was really stable and just worked. dont need fancy new tech, just need to be able to use the tools without a constant stream of new bugs

6. GCatz

GCatz

unity has a real problem, they tried to capture the none gamer segments (medical, archviz, BaaS, etc..)
    but guess what ? unreal owns and will own harder these fields (especially BaaS, chilliconnect is basically money down the drain)

unity's management shoot everywhere and hits nothing...
    almost every professional I know gave up working with ECS (its neat as PoC but sucks in real world projects)
    Tim Sweeney said it best

I know many people said it many times but creating games does effect the mindset of how you see an engine

but we know unity will never create a game so they need to let us create games
    by provide us the smoothest workflow available (yes keep Mono/GO - its what made you great) but upgrade to .Net Core
    stop dumping cash on ECS (put on hold) and stop acquiring services (fire the one who suggested chilliconnect)

replace the broken terrain / grass / trees, create alternative solution to enlighten,
    hire bakery guy, fire the entire gpu lightmap team, pour money into finishing HDRP/URP (improve convertor)
    work with top asset store sellers to convert their assets to SRP
    funnel all the money into fixing existing features and don't add previews packages until you are done

don't let one cent go into something else other then fixing the engine
    and keep ECS as niche, you are wasting too much resources on it

the one thing Epic's Fortnite money can't buy yet is the workflow of unity
    if you lose that you will lose everything

7. Zapan15

Zapan15

Dear Unity Team,

I am working with unity since version 3.X on a daily basis and I can confirm the mentioned stuff from all the other people, like:

* Show a clear direction in which is unity heading
    * Make unity more robust and fix more bugs
    * Focus on stuff you have
    * Invest less in research and development, more in fine-tuning the current stuff
    * Remove complexity
    * Remove the marketing garbage
    * Re-think your business Modell (e.g. unreal < 1 mil no royalties)

The most important one: Currently we have a real `Preview-Hell` for packages, nobody really knows what comes next. Some years ago, unity shows us a clear direction where the engine is going to be. Currently it feels like a hydra or a ship with 10 captains (mostly marketing driven). This is not the engine I know and loved like 5 years ago.

I know, having a monolithic engine is a real nightmare to maintain and extend. Using a package system is nice, but maybe you have to make it more strict and stable. Instead of rushing out a new preview package, test/fix it more internally. Maybe you can find a way to use the best of both worlds, using the packages and giving out an engine where the user can rely on trust on that it is battle tested, instead of shifting it over to the user that s/he has to test if certain package combinations will work or not. This is a huge drawback, and should be your job, not the job of the user base.

DOTS, ECS, SRP: I think it will end like enlighten, you will throw it away if you see what kind of headache it generates. Unity became so big, because it was so easy to understand and develop for, which for sure, comes at a price: speed. If you take a look at unreal, they have speed for sure, but the target audience is more or less a bigger team. I do not think that you can target both groups `small teams` and `big teams` all in one without hurting one or the other very hard. At the end nobody will be fine, as the requirements of these groups are too different. You are trying to create a 300 PS ford fiesta, which will cost 20k EUR…

It looks like that the unity team wants to reach everybody, but at the end, it reaches less people than before.

Unreal-Engine:I liked the video a lot, but we have to see how the workflow is at the end of the day and what kind of compromise the developer has to make when using their new tech. Research on these topics of mass polygon handling and real-time GI is defiantly worth it. Take a closer look the asset store, there are lots of people with great know how and talent…

Regards
    André

8. kdgalla

kdgalla

Personally, I wasn't interested in the demo, as an amateur developer, because It's not something that I need. Since I work alone, there's absolutely no way I could produce the type of content that would benefit from this technology. If Unity went to chase after parity with this, it would not help me in any way.

9. Leeways

Leeways

I agree this demo is more a marketing trick, it aims to expand Unreal new user base; and it might just be another "game trailer hype", but they have changed people's expectation, in a huge way

And what else can we do? All is well (or not)? Of course as mobile developer I will continue using Unity with no doubt, but at the same time, I guess I will start downloading Unreal 4.25 this weekend to take a look...

10. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

This literally happens everytime new tech etc comes out. There was similar stuff floating around the forums in 2014/15 when unreal went free at same time as unity did.

Seriously can we all stop jumping the gun before we actually try unreal 5 out for ourselves? After more than a decade of putting out demos that, just like unity demos, are based on tech that usually isnt even available in the engine or suped up to be more than it is, why is everyone going mental for yet another one?

Seriously, both unity and unreal are terrible at releasing tech demos that are even remotely achievable by the average 4-8 man studio.

JoNax97 and Martin_H like this.
  11. neginfinity

neginfinity

Tools come and go, I don't think that "we" need to do anything. It is unity's problem, not user's problem.

At least that's how I see it.

12. Wolfos

Wolfos

Ditch the new input system and just fix up the old one a bit. Make it feasible to use both URP and HDRP for the same game. Stop trying to fix things by rewriting them, instead try to make small incremental changes. The old systems might not be perfect but they work.

And try to unify systems. There's no need for all the separate implementations for the same thing. Right now they might as well rename the engine to 'Fragmentation'.

ExtraCat and LordSwaggelore like this.
  13. Leeways

Leeways

Agree, and that's the reason I still use built-in render, compatible with all of my asset-store resources, I don't know how others think, but from my perspective, Asset-store is the real thing that keeps me in the seat of Unity;

Just look at those amazing top Asset plugins ->
    Final IK (Puppet-master), Imposter, Auto-LOD and Auto-rig tools;

GPU lightmapping; Beutify post-processing tool that can work on mid-high end mobile; X-Frame for dynamic resolution on mobile...

Procedural Terrian generator, Random City Generation, Highway Road generator etc etc

Unity should support more for these Asset-store developers, buy their license, implement as Unity feature, upgrade them, because AUTOMATION workflow looks like a big thing in Next-Gen gaming

PutridEx and BIGTIMEMASTER like this.
  14. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

agreed. we use it because it has the right toolset which enables us to finish projects.

I could care less about cutting edge tech - it comes down to which engine makes it easiest for get a game finished. I am definitely not average user or the one making the big monies but i think those who are are similar but just operating on different scale.

15. MDADigital

MDADigital

You don't need to produce it you can buy it.

16. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's new input system is solid these days in my experience. Meanwhile the old one is basically useless (for proof look at the success of Rewired) unless you build a complex system on top of it to handle everything it should have handled for us.

17. kdgalla

kdgalla

Even if I found enough content packs to make a huge open world it would be a huge, empty world. I'd still need to create a massive amount of game-play content to justify the size. It is still beyond my scope. Even AAA companies struggle with this, as plenty of giant, open-world AAA games get criticized for being boring, repetitive and lacking depth.

Sure, I guess I could just make a small game with super detail. Like a 15-minute walking simulator where you could zoom-in and see the veins in every leaf. Maybe an infinite runner with a world the size of Witcher 3? :p

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

19. Murgilod

Murgilod

ippdev likes this.
  20. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

That's so strange, i tried the new input system and my controller did not work so i fell back to old input system where you add controls under project settings. Maybe i should try again.

21. Ryiah

Ryiah

I will mention I've been exclusively using official Xbox One wireless controllers.

22. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

Hmm, well I tried the demo project and it never worked, ultimately i concluded it wasn't so bad adding the extra controls under the project settings - was too difficult. However, I am completely unsure if this cover other controllers like playstation so something else.

I also figured there would be different setting for apple and something called 'linux', but i never bother as I am on windows.

23. Ukounu

Ukounu

Personally, I want Unity to grab the same Megascans photogrammetry assets, and recreate the same scene with the same amount of details/8K textures in Unity, without any Nanite magic.
    The scene is certainly heavy, but achieving the same 1440p@30FPS on capable hardware doesn't immediately look impossible to me.
    Amount of butthurt caused by this for all the people proclaiming UE5 as a major game changer would be hilarious to witness. :D

24. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

it would certainly be impossible, you could get a similar look by using lower tessellated model and textures, but that defeats the purpose of the tech demo. My friend tried similar scene except in something called 'dxr' and got similar result - by similar, i mean graphics not framerate.

25. MDADigital

MDADigital

You don't need to go open world to benefit from a performance by default asset management workflow.

Again we don't know that nanite/lumen solves this but if it does its awesome.

26. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I've been using it in a pretty complex project with a variety of controllers. What's there works great so far. There's a bunch of extra stuff I think they should add, and I'm not really a fan of the auto-generated wrapper class thing, but even with those in mind it already does more than the old one did, better.

The main issue is actually the documentation... unless that's changed in the last few weeks. Functionally speaking it's about as easy to get started with as the old system, but since it's so much more flexible there's just a bigger volume of info you need to read through to find the relevant bits. A good Migration Guide and a good Getting Started Guide (as opposed to the data dumps that were there a few weeks ago) would do it a world of good.

Ryiah likes this.
  27. Antony-Blackett

Antony-Blackett

Create a clear release plan for all features

continue support for all features for a long time, improving and fixing bugs well after a feature release.

don’t discontinue or deprecate features unless a platform discontinues it or if a newer better solution is implemented, tested and documented.

Note that none of this has anything to do with unreal or new tech. These 3 pillars for development will make all future features better and make all unity users happier

28. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I understand why they're not keen on public release planning, though. There are at least two schools of thought on plans: some people see them as a tool which increases productivity by communicating what people need to know to work together effectively, other people see them as a promise of outputs that shall not ever be changed. Hopefully people can see why those two are at odds with one another...

Even at the moment while they're sharing stuff with us during its development that still gets a lot of people upset. Now we not only know about (some of) these things but we even have access to them... and the result is people complaining they're not finished yet.

I am 99.9% convinced that there is no winning on this one.

SunnySunshine likes this.
  29. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

What I want Unity to do is the same as before the Unreal reveal which served as a wake up call: Unity needs to learn how to Finish and polish what they've started.

Start getting results. Polish things to the point of perfection so you can check it off the list of things to do and we as users can say, "Unity does X very well.". As I've blathered in other threads, the new prefab system needs a good bit of work still. It's a defining feature of Unity. If your defining features aren't top tier and polished, your platform is second rate. Is it easy to push these tools to perfection? No. But it is necessary.

Unity has a habit of releasing things early, letting people make stuff with their half formed tools and then throwing their hands up "Oh we can't fix it, too many people are using this system now." Rip off the bandaid. I'll redo my setups if it means the platform i'm working on is top tier. Start warning users of initial implementations that they are in danger of refactoring and work may be lost.

We'd all like to hear some sort of "State of the Unity" speech, not clouded by fancy bullshit cinematics, about their attitude towards the future. That they have a new, more mature outlook moving forward. That they aren't stuck in the past thinking gamedev is about fancy trailers and cool sounding jargon. That they know their own identity and they have a PLAN moving forward, and they are excited and CONFIDENT that they can meet that plan. That they are looking at gamedev as a whole and that they are excited to work with us to solve the issues we face.

The Unreal reveal showed the emphatic understanding that Epic has towards gamedev. It shows they have foresight to plan tools that work together to create a workflow. The code and blueprints lead to functionality, their rock solid particles and shaders dress this content up, and then their cinematic and rendering tech takes it to the screen. There is a fully functional pipeline from start to finish that is polished, well implemented and performs at a top level for carefully planned platforms that "just work".

I am totally open to being pleasantly surprised. To find out that DOTS implementation has universally affected their pipelines and they are so happy with it that it has slowed things because the potential gains in their new coding system is so good that it warrants a bit of slow down to migrate all their current systems to the more performant solution. But i'm not holding my breath, and the mass hiring of 3rd parties does not bode well that things have been going smoothly as of late.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
    OCASM and Leeways like this.
  30. Leeways

Leeways

That's exactly what I (or many of us) want Unity to do, and that's why we love to us Unity in the first place, a clear and simply workflow

For me, I really want Unity to integrate and improve those top plugins from Asset-Store (Shader Editor, Terrian Generator, Auto-rig, Auto-LOD), some of those great plugins are somehow buggy or limited but have improved workflow already, not to mention the potential in their upgraded versions; these are "Unity AUTOMATION feature"

For DOTS/ECS, I think maybe some packages with DOTS feature to solve specific problem will already be awesome, like a DOTS particle system, crowd simulation, just make them as package for developer to use some public methods will already be good enough (don't know if it's possible)

31. ippdev

ippdev

Then don't read or comment. No need for snark. He put good effort into that post. Did you do the same? This is a professionals forum, not reddit and some modicum of respect is expected. I, for one, appreciate the in-depth analysis from their POV. I had no knowledge of Unreal 5's tech demo till I read this.

PutridEx likes this.
  32. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

They could start matching productivity features Unreal had for years now:

Integrated LOD generation

In UE4 you can create LODs that are good for most models with a few clicks. You can also go further and bake textures for your LODs, and merge separate models in your scene into these LODs automatically (hierarchical LOD).

Unity started the AutoLOD plug-in, then pretty much abandoned it. The built in LOD generation algorithm is terrible, the Simplygon integration doesn't work anymore and the only other alternative is a 3rd party paid solution that you need to request a demo via e-mail.

Scalable asset management

Unity scans the entire assets folder for changes in multiple occasions, including when you alt tab from and back to it. The more assets your project has, the longer it takes to open your project and the longer are the freezes when Unity decides it needs to rescan everything. On Unreal editor load times only depend on how much assets are necessary to load the selected level and you can keep it even shorter by using soft references.

There's also runtime asset management. Unity requires a lot of effort to make a game which streams content in and out with minimum hitching.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  33. Billy4184

Billy4184

What I'd like to see in Unity are core systems that are stable and consistently updated over a number of years, which are around long enough, and in a consistent enough form, that the ecosystem of learning resources can absorb them.

Unity's best asset is the fact that there is so much stuff out there to help you get over every roadblock, suggest new approaches for things, and learn new features. That's the reason why I chose it - when I started using it back in 2014 or so, information that I could use was everywhere, whereas the internet footprint of its competitors was very small. At the time, knowing very little about how to compare game engines, that was enough for me. And it proved to be a very good choice as I was able to learn it fast.

Back then the documentation was also very good. I used to put the old Ctrl-' (IIRC) to good use all the time in monodevelop to read up on API.

It felt like there was a 'Unity way' that might not be the absolute best out there, but it would be the best path all things considered for getting a game done. It would be intuitive, approachable, and not excessively restrictive, like the right-sized Lego blocks. You could rely on it to make your way to a good enough result.

Now that I know a lot more of Unity, that stuff is not so important (though excessive simplicity of workflow is always a certain advantage for devs with limited resources). But for new users, it's absolutely crucial. As an asset store dev I talk to a lot of beginners and I'm hard pressed these days to tell them where to find good resources or what they should focus on going forward.

Because now, there is no 'Unity way'. There is a confusing array of legacy systems, interim asset store acquisitions that seem to have been done to appease shortcomings in the engine, and experimental github repositories featuring tech that isn't ready, yet seems to have found its way into everyday life in the Unity engine.

I particularly disagree with the idea of buying up asset store tools as a way to temproarily prop up the dike. If a tool is acquired it should be fully absorbed as an indistinguishable part of the engine, in terms of the API, interface and documentation. Otherwise Unity starts to look like something put together from the asset store, rather than the solid foundation on top of which useful assets are created and traded by the community.

When I started off, the perception was that Unity was solid and stable and user friendly, and Unreal was just ploughing forward with updates that broke things left and right because they needed to ship their own games and could deal with it. Now it seems the other way around, with Unreal looking far more stable by comparison, and Unity seems to now be wandering off after shiny things and pulling everyone and their projects along with them.

I want Unity to evolve, but they need to tend to the foundation and identity they have built if they are at all interested in its survival. Part of the reason I became an asset store dev is because Unity had built something for small time indies that I felt I could be part of and contribute to. It seemed there was a lot of stuff out there for absolute beginners, and I could add a bridge toward making actual games by providing examples of how to build systems that were flexible and extendable.

In short, Unity must preserve what they had before and build on it slowly. Add a feature and take the time to graft it properly into the ecosystem they have built over such a long time. That is, if they are interested in keeping it around.

NotaNaN, Ryiah, OCASM and 2 others like this.
  34. N1warhead

N1warhead

Grass, I just want HDRP Grass. Is this really that hard of a feature to 'implement'? I feel it's honestly not, a replacement shader worked at one point in time but they seemed to have yanked that ability from us.

35. pekdata

pekdata

Originally I came to Unity because of flexible and easy to use engine and editor for making 3d games. They still got it. The fact that it is compared to Unreal Engine is a merit in itself even if Unreal was better in some respects. If anything I'd like the workflow to be even more easy to use and flexible.

36. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Honestly? Make a tech demo, a full downloadable source tech demo that uses purely what is in the engine now, not what "could be" using specialist talent.

I think that would shut a lot of people up. Thats the main issue now, not what unity or unreal can do, but what people are saying they can do.

NotaNaN, Ryiah, JoNax97 and 1 other person like this.
  37. snacktime

snacktime

Well sticking on the topic of rendering, I wish they would just get SRP and Shader Graph working correctly and fill in the gaps with the api's they currently have.

Creating a big wishlist is sort of pointless. The next year or so is already in the works for the most part. Best is to look at what they are working on or is on the roadmap and push for what you want in those areas.

It's also important to actually participate and be using the bleeding edge in some capacity if you really want to contribute. That is where changes based on feedback happen the most. This is also where I think Unity is both really good and really bad all at the same time.

Like the DOTS teams have been excellent. Good points don't go unanswered, and if you make a good case chances are high it's going to have an impact. Feedback loop is really good with fast turnarounds.

SRP teams are markedly different. They have this attitude that it's so complex only they really understand it. And they tend to just flat ignore stuff a lot more. On the DOTS forums you are far more likely to find detailed responses on why they do what they do.

38. unit_dev123

unit_dev123

yh grass mesh is killing my system.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/wip-dxr-test.889612/#post-5858095

i hope it is resolved soon.

39. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

Honestly, if people have time complaining on the forum, they could have use that time to cancel their Unity Plus subscription and migrate the project to Unreal already.

Vote with actions, not words.

40. Murgilod

Murgilod

What a useless post. You've clearly never had to make a substantial engine change outside of pre-production.

Ryiah, OCASM, Lurking-Ninja and 2 others like this.
  41. Rasly233

Rasly233

kids go nuts because of some lame demo from epic,lol.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  42. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

No. “Kids go nuts” because of being frustrated with Unity for years and years.

OCASM, xVergilx, GCatz and 2 others like this.
  43. thelebaron

thelebaron

not that I dont want real time no bake gi and the ability to lob in unrefined zbrush models at my leisure..

but

- it would be nice if when focusing on certain objects(looking at you lights and audiosources) that it didnt just focus to the outermost part of the radius.
    - when you add in a light in unreal, it offsets the position ever so slightly from the nearest surface. doing that in unity results in it placing it squarely on whatever surface, so you get that lovely z-fighting/clipping effect.
    - a transform gizmo that doesnt get culled out of existence when you are at a level facing angle(what kind of sadist thought this was a good idea!)

- not having a million menus buried inside of drop down menus
    - resizeable dockable shortcuts window
    - more buttons on the ui, reorganization of the ui. maybe a configurable shelf like maya? or the ability to go hog wild with customization like zbrush. I want to strangle anyone who says that unity's ui is clean and elegant because its not when you actually need to interact with it, its just appears that way because its all hidden under an excess of menus and scattered options.

Marc-Saubion and AcidArrow like this.
  44. Leeways

Leeways

Right, after all Unity has such big team to develop long-term features like HDRP/ DOTS etc

What I want to suggest is short-term goal, since Unreal 5 has started this inception of AUTOMATION workflow;
    Unity can also showcase something in their backpack to claim they're also "on this AUTOMATION Trend", and Asset Store is a good way to get inspiration
    (Like before Unity official 2D light and shadow, there is alternative plugin in asset-store, but official feature is better with more features)

It's obvious Unreal 5 aiming at gaining new user base for their engine, otherwise they won't say "Unreal 4 project is forward compatible with Unreal 5 ", even they probably dodged many potential issues in this process;

Sure, for mobile game development, Unity is still first choice, it's just I will be happy to see they release more AUTOMATION workflow features to benefit us all

45. Billy4184

Billy4184

Yeah I hope I was clear, I don't have any issue with the acquisition of asset store stuff per se, if it's necessary, but it should be absorbed into the engine ASAP. The issue is whether it becomes the engine standard or is just a patchwork on their way to a new feature. It comes off as if they are waiting for the asset store to solve their internal problems.

It's not a criticism of asset store devs at all. Text Mesh Pro for example is lightyears ahead of UnityEngine.UI, I use it everywhere and it's fantastic. I'm sure Bolt is great too.

Unity have the opportunity to set the standard though, they should be the spit-polished drill sergeant that everyone can only hope to be half as good as. Right now the recruits are looking just as good if not better.

Leeways likes this.
  46. tatoforever

tatoforever

Epic games putting more and more pressure on Unity with all their new shiny productive toys and features. On the other side Unity with his constant missed electoral promises and lack of direction is creating an absolute messy confusion among users. This situation is really hard to keep up. Hence the reason I don't want to come to the forums.
    I hope they fix all their mess by the time I'm done with my current project, cause my business doesn't allow me to wait on promises. Will move on if it's necessary.

OCASM and jcarpay like this.
  47. tcmeric

tcmeric

Yup. There is some serious talent out there that Unity should try and acquire.

Gekigengar likes this.
  48. Rasly233

Rasly233

Dont talk for all the users pleb. I like unity and the way it evolves. If you like how unreal only cares about big companies then maybe go use unreal then? Im sure u gona like their theoretical features and how iterations take forever.

Oh yeah they put baked map in memory, mind blown, rtx will make it useles but whatever.

This turns into a annonymous Paragon players meeting.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  49. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I need a pizza.

50. pcg

pcg

One thing I would like to see Unity do is improve their acquisitions. They did a great job bringing TextMeshPro in to the fold, Bolt and Probuilder too (although the later does seem to have stalled a little of late) , but Amplify Creations would have been an excellent acquisition before creating Shader Graph. They have done what Unity havent in that they support all 3 pipelines. Also Amplify Imposters looks very impressive as do their Post FX products.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    FernandoMK and Leeways like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.