Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussing the fee tier

Discussion in 'Vuforia' started by tomicz, Jan 8, 2018.

1. tomicz

tomicz

Hello there,

Recently I started using Vuforia 7 and I noticed, watermark is missing. Does it mean that Vuforia is free now? There are no limits anymore like 1000 downloads etc?

2. dpizzle

dpizzle

It's kinda confusing, but there's a new free tier. It let's you use Ground Plane and User Defined Targets only.
    Everything else is the same as previous, like deploying with the dev key still get's you watermarked 1000 downloads.
    https://developer.vuforia.com/vui/pricing

tomicz likes this.
  3. tomicz

tomicz

If I understood well, so I won't get 1000 download limit and a watermark if I use only User Defined Target? Which is actually that I do.

This would be great, because I'd rather buy a samsung 8, than buy Vuforia licence, and then use ARCore for free that is a lot better than Vuforia.

4. dpizzle

dpizzle

Yes, I'm pretty sure this is how it works. You might want to contact them to make sure though. ARCore will soon be built inside Vuforia using the Ground Plane which looks also free. I think you'll get the benefit of using your UDTs at the same time as ARCore if you need it.

tomicz likes this.
  5. Vuforia-Strasza

Vuforia-Strasza

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

UDT and Ground Plane can be used for free when deployed through Unity.

tomicz likes this.
  6. jGate99

jGate99

Just to be clear, i can launch as many apps as i want with Ground Plane Feature without any vurufia logo?

7. tomicz

tomicz

Yes

8. ARAKIT

ARAKIT

Well, I downloaded Vuforia recently, and it never charged me anything, so yes.

9. Quiet-Pixel

Quiet-Pixel

It looks like the Vuforia logo watermark will always be displayed when using the free license that comes with Unity 2017.3+. I cannot find a switch to turn it off in the Vuforia configurations settings, and on the Vuforia developer portal, the only free option is to create Development Keys, which causes the watermark to show up.

@tomicz, Am I wrong about this?

10. tomicz

tomicz

You are probably using Image Targeting. If you want to use Vuforia without their watermark and for free, you can chooses between User Defined Targets and Ground Plane. If you decide between these two, then you don't need to include Vuforia's Development Key (just leave blank space in ARCamera). When you are not using their Developments Key there's no way for their watermark to show. Everything else besides User Defined Targets and Ground Plane requires Development Key. Even then you can publish with their watermark, but then you are going to be limited to 1000 downloads on your total apps. Anyway, for game development Ground Plane and UDT are the best, so this is pretty fair from Vuforia and I am really thankful for that.

11. Quiet-Pixel

Quiet-Pixel

Thank you Tomicz for the tip to remove the developer license. That does remove the Vuforia watermark from the app.

I am using the Ground Plane feature, not Image Targets. But I added a development license, because Unity 2017.3.0f3 would crash if you ran your scene in the editor without the license. It appears they fixed this in 2017.3.0p2.

tomicz likes this.
  12. Scrubster

Scrubster

"Even then you can publish with their watermark, but then you are going to be limited to 1000 downloads on your total apps."

Where did you get the 1000 downloads information from?

tomicz likes this.
  13. tomicz

tomicz

Google.

I don't know if it's still relevant, maybe it's updated now. You should check it on vuforia website though.

14. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

In the current Legal text there is no information about 1000 Downloads / installs.

You only get a watermark with the Developer license and with that lince you are not allowed to publish it.

https://developer.vuforia.com/legal/vuforia-developer-agreement

tomicz likes this.
  15. Kichang-Kim

Kichang-Kim

@Vuforia-Strasza

Is it true that Vuforia with unity (Ground Plane) is free without any restriction (especially, app revenue and installs)

I can't find any information for Vuforia with Unity pricing from https://developer.vuforia.com/vui/pricing

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  16. lucasmontec

lucasmontec

Vuforia is a bad option. Easy AR offers everything Vuforia offers, with Unity integration, for free (or with a license at the same price depending on the features you want). Also, with Vuforia, you are restricted to build apps to clients. Any other product implies a 50,000 USD license that the don't say in the site. So no, it isn't at all free.

17. vad710

vad710

Vuforia

Vuforia Ground Plane is free for Unity developers - check out the FAQ here: https://library.vuforia.com/articles/FAQ/Pricing-and-Deployment-Plans

"You can also deploy Unity apps that take advantage of our Ground Plane, Device Tracker and Stereo Rendering features for free without a License Key."

The Classic License of $500 covers a lot of cases - but your company needs to be making less than $10million

@lucasmontec thanks for your feedback. I will let our team know we should look into making our pricing clearer.

18. lucasmontec

lucasmontec

"but your company needs to be making less than $10million" and also not working on any SaaS or PaaS systems. Not selling Vuforia in anyother way that isn't an app.

19. fabiotgarcia

fabiotgarcia

Why Vuforia license is so expensive?

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I clarified the title so that people will better understand that there's a free tier, a paid tier etc. Regarding Vuforia's business model, that's their choice and everyone has options after all :)

21. wiz-japan

wiz-japan

https://forum.unity.com/threads/discussing-the-fee-tier.511689/#post-3575824
    I saw this article. Could someone teach me the below?

Do I need to buy the vuforia licenses when publishing the application that meet the following conditions for consumer?
    ------------------------------------------------
    · Using Image target only
    · The application developed with Unity 2017.4 Professional lisence
    · We are not companies with less than $ 10 million annual revenue per year
    · In total less than 1000 downloads
    ------------------------------------------------

If you need to purchase, we have the following questions.
    · Did you need to buy the vuforia license at the time the following article was posted? Or have the agreements changed since this point?
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/discussing-the-fee-tier.511689/#post-3349499
    · Can I release the application if I purchase a classic license?

MadeFromPolygons and rob_ice like this.
  22. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

@vad710 i also would like to know the above, it is not clear how the unity license works.

23. zyonneo

zyonneo

Hi,just a little bit confused..I want to develop an app using Vuforia and upload in playstore. I have 20 ImageTargets and so many prefabs to load when device recognises these targets.I am using only ImageTargets for these 20 targets.Is it free?Can I remove the watermark?Should I take the Classic License?Small company with less income.

24. meedabit

meedabit

Official Vuforia Employee Vuforia

Hello @zyonneo,

Vuforia licensing does not restrict the number of Image Targets used in an app. What it does specify is that if your app is available in the PlayStore and has more than 1000 user downloads, then you will need a Classic License. Additionally, if you're part of a large company with some level of yearly revenues ($10 million USD? - don't quote me on that), then you will also need to purchase a license.

If you have any additional questions, I suggest you contact our sales team for more up-to-date information: https://developer.vuforia.com/vui/pricing

Thanks,
    Vuforia Engine Support

25. tonOnWu

tonOnWu

Hi guys. I've been interested in Vuforia since their beginning. But I still think that the cost of a license is too heavy. I'm quoting the conditions of the Classic License:

"Classic License. A Classic License may be used for the deployment of a Developer Application that does not utilize Cloud Services, does not fall into a Professional Use License category as set forth in Section 2.5 below, and may only be purchased if the Company’s annual revenue is under ten million dollars ($10,000,000). You must purchase a separate Classic License and use a unique License Key for each Developer Application You deploy and/or distribute. A Classic License does not include Software Updates."

Every Classic License is $499. But for every game you want to create, you'll have to pay a new license. If your business is focused on creating just one App a year, maybe that makes sense. But for me, it isn't. I would agree to pay a license that allows deploying as many Apps as I want. In my case, it could be up to five apps a year in AR.

I'm currently using Unity ARFoundation which allows me to work with ARKit and ARCore. It's free and belongs to Unity. They have been working on this for a while. I already deploy three different Apps. The most relevant of them is "Saving Christmas - AR" and you can check out how good the library works. Yes, they have still some things to solve, but they are heading in the right direction and fast. And, again, it's free.