Search Unity

1. Click here to see what's on sale for the "Best of Super Sale" on the Asset Store
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for feedback on the naming of a new user research platform that we are working on.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Discrepancy between terrain and gameobject size/scale

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Warmbrak, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Warmbrak

Warmbrak

I have only recently started paying attention to terrain, and noticed that the scale between the terrains and the gameobjects are different. Terrain size as far as I can read is in meters, so a 2000m x 2000m terrain should be the same size as a 2000 unit by 2000 unit plane, seeing that 1 Unity unit = 1m. This does not appear to be the case.
    I am using standard Unity 2019.3.f01 (empty project, no assets or packages added), and attached two images below to show what is happening. The white square is the plane (2000 x 2000), and the small blue/grey square in the middle is the 2000m x 2000m terrain. Is anyone else having this issue?

Unity_Plane.png Unity_Terrain.png

2. Warmbrak

Warmbrak

Someone on Reddit was kind enough to explain what is happening. For some reason a Unity Plane is a 10 x 10 unit, and with a Plane specifically 1 unit is 10m. Comparing this to a normal cube gameobject, a 10 x 10 x 10 cube will have a the same footprint as a 1 x 1 plane.
    This to me is a bad ui design, and a recipe for disaster as there is no indication in the Unity editor that the plane is handled differently. Be careful when setting up a new scene and using planes to set up your scene size and locations.

unityunity