Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discrepancies in memory profiles?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DeadSeraph, Sep 27, 2019.

1. DeadSeraph

DeadSeraph

Hey all. Our team is running into an issue while optimizing our project for release on iOS / Android. We are using UMA, so we've gone through all the existing textures and reduced them as the memory profiler was showing texture usage at well over 5 gigs at 1st. I've since managed to get that number to under 500 mb, however we've run into a problem. I don't believe the issue is related to UMA (which is why I'm posting this here).

What happens is that myself and one other team member show total memory usage in the memory profiler under 1.5 gigs, however the person sending out our builds is showing 3 times that. While going through the textures, I adjusted the default settings for them to reduce the size, and also set device specific overrides to match (for iOS and Android).

Even textures I *haven't* optimized still show up 3 times higher on his end than they do on either of ours. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into what could be causing this?

We've gone over our project settings, and best we can tell, our settings match. Is there a particular setting we could have missed somewhere, or is it possible this could be related to the operating systems we are developing on? Is there perhaps texture specific settings I should be applying that I've missed?

*edit to add*: Also worth noting, is that the person getting the highest results is working on a mac, while myself and our other team member are on PC's

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019