Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] All in One Game Kit - ELC Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by GrantMarrs, Mar 19, 2016.

1. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hello!
    The asset does not have these features built-in, but I've actually added both of them into the code for a couple of my customers. So I can tell you how to add them in as well :) However, it would have to be after this week, since I have final exams this week, and would have to edit the features some first before giving them to you (since I had added them for a previous version of the asset, and they need to be updated for the current version).
    Thank you!

Thank you for the question!
    Every script in the asset is standalone, and requires only a small amount of setting up. So it should be very easy to combine with other assets like that :)
    Thanks again!

2. DavidMBradbury

DavidMBradbury

Sounds great, and no rush - I'm still quite early in prototyping and trying to get the base mechanics to be fun. If I end up updating it first I won't bother ya, but I might message ya some time next week if I don't get around to that. Good luck with finals!

3. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Thank you! :D

4. bobby8234

bobby8234

Just bought this asset, and was really confused at first trying to set it up for first person because the "always follow" option is on by default when the documentation makes it seem that is isn't(by having an entire section dedicated to how to set it up to follow via checking the option - but that option is turned on at the start) - this option nullifies the first person option from working.

Just thought I'd let you know for future reference - otherwise great work and thanks a lot.

edit: ran into a problem - if you spam the jump key really fast when standing on a box collider the player will be instantly teleported very high into the air, any idea why?

Am using the demo scene's first person camera and firstpersonarms objects imported into a blank scene with a large box collider floor and nothing else.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  5. Ghostdreamer

Ghostdreamer

Very interested in this asset, was curious if there was vaulting/jumping over object support that I am overlooking? Thank you.

6. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hi, sorry about the confusion. I made that section saying how to set the camera up with follow mode (by checking the "Always Follow" option) in case someone had tried changing the mode, unchecked that option, but was then unsure how to set it up with follow mode again. Although, now that you mention it, maybe I should add a note there saying it's like that by default, lol :) Thank you for letting me know!

Also, that jumping problem is easily fixed :) I'll send a message to your inbox on how to fix it ;)

Thanks again!

Hello, and thank you for the question!

Unfortunately, there is no vaulting feature in the asset. Only regular jumping, and climbing over objects. That is a good suggestion though :)

Thank you again!

7. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Announcement!
    New Guidelines for Asking Questions, and Updated Documentation Coming Soon

Hello everyone. For the past few months, I have been trying to work on updates, and provide the best support I can to my customers. However, the number of questions I now receive daily has gotten too out of control for me to handle. Although it may not seem like it from this thread, I receive multiple emails and messages in my inbox everyday. I've tried keeping up with them the best I can, but because of the questions, I haven't had any time to work on updates! I am also moving to a new computer, and need time to move and reinstall all of my programs and files on there. Because of this, I have come up with some new guidelines for questions:
    1. One of the most common kinds of questions I receive asks how to set up specific features of the asset. While this is generally okay, most of the questions I usually receive ask about something that is already in the documentation. You can find every feature (and their description) of every script in the asset by scrolling down to page 49 of the documentation, and looking through the "Easy Ledge Climb Character System Variables and Features" section. Because of this, I will only answer questions that are not already in the documentation. If they are already in the documentation, I will kindly refer you to the section, and let you read through it yourself. Please make sure to review the documentation first before sending me these kinds of questions.

2. The second most common kind of question I receive comes from people asking me to set up their projects for them or script new features in for them. These questions are the most difficult and time consuming for me to answer, and while I don't always agree to do these kinds of things, I have before, and they eat up tons of my time. Because of this, I will no longer accept requests like these.
    To help make this easier on you guys and myself, I will be updating my documentation to include more detailed instructions that answer some of the most FAQ I receive. In addition, I will be adding a table of contents to the documentation to make it easier to navigate. However, I had to post these new guidelines first, or else I ironically would not have the time to do this, lol.

Thank you all for your time, and sorry for any inconvenience :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Bhanshee00 likes this.
  8. Magician_Arcana

Magician_Arcana

Hello, I have a simple question about gamepad support with this asset. While testing my game, I noticed that climbing up onto ledges while ledge grabbing a little unresponsive while using a gamepad. Sometimes I'll have to re-center the joystick and press up a few times before the character climbs up. Will this be addressed in a future update? Or could this be an issue with the gamepad I've been testing it with? (Xbox 360 wired controller)
    After looking through the documentation, I couldn't find anything about gamepad support. Please let me know if I had missed something.

9. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hello! I'm sorry about that.
    I've fixed this problem, and it should be in the update ;)
    Thank you!

10. eiVix

eiVix

I'm looking into buying this but I'd like to know how does the lock-on to enemy work? Is it automatic by distance to player or can the player change the target as desired, say you have 10 enemies in an arena, can you switch targets on the fly by pressing a key perhaps, I am sure it isn't hard to implement, I'm sure I could probably rework your code but just curious?

11. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hi! Thank you for the question :)

I'm sorry, but the locking on only works based on the player's distance from the enemy. Fortunately, like you said, it shouldn't be too difficult to rework though. The camera script in my asset isn't nearly as large as the player scripts, so it should be doable, lol.

Also, there's actually a bug with the locking on that somebody pointed out to me. In the current version of the asset, I think the locking on only responds if the enemy has a mesh renderer. To fix this, just replace line 659 in the CameraController.cs code with this:

&& closestTarget.activeSelf && closestTarget.GetComponentInChildren<Renderer>().enabled && notBlocked){

This fix will be added in the next update of course :)

Thank you again!

12. Magician_Arcana

Magician_Arcana

Awesome! Thanks so much! I look forward to the update

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  13. JonnylikesJazz

JonnylikesJazz

I'm so hyped for the swimming! My current swimming system is an absolute mess poorly followed from a tutorial. The script is comparable to a mixture between a teenager's room and a prostitute's handbag basically.

14. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Haha, I'm so glad you're excited for it :D
    I've got a few minor bugs to fix, then some polishing, and it should be good to go! I'm hoping to have it all released before the end of Summer :)
    Thank you!

15. eiVix

eiVix

Hey there. Thank you for your reply, I bought your kit and I was able to change it instead of distance to target an enemy to be by keypress using a list array. Your kit is super robust, good job man.

16. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Thank you so much man!
    I'm very glad you were able to change it the way you want :)
    Thank you again!

17. Mightynate

Mightynate

I noticed that you have submitted version 2.2 on Jun 30 2017 , packaged with Unity 5.0... do this asset also supports 5.0 and beyond like latest Unity 5.6 ?

thanks
    Nate

18. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hello, and thanks for the question :)

Yes, the asset supports Unity 5.0 and up. So it would work with the latest version (Unity 5.6) ;)

Thanks again!

Mightynate likes this.
  19. Solid_Metal

Solid_Metal

hi we just bought your plugin which works amazing btw, a bit tempramental sometimes, but can easily adjust on the extensive option you gave

but i want to change couple things, and want to ask you couple question regarding the code

1. i want to change the "get up from ledge" use the SPACE button rather than vertical W button, how do i change it?, i do know from the source code , and already try to change
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Input.GetAxisRaw("Vertical") >= 0.5f
    into
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Input.GetButton("Jump")
    but no avail, its refuse to climb over the ledge

2. so i'm developing side scroller, naturally i lock the movement on Z axis, but theres some occasion i want to allow it, by enabling and disabling it on the run with script, and now everytime i activated it and "fall" or "hang on" ledge on Z axis other than 0, it will automatically teleport my character to 0 on Z axis, do you know what cause it ?

20. nibek1000

nibek1000

I just want to ask about wallrun
    Will you add it in future updates?

21. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hello! You're on the right track for changing the pulling up over ledge button, but the "Jump" button is already assigned to letting go of a ledge, so we'll need to change that first. To do this, just follow these steps:

1. Open the "Replace" window (shortcut: Ctrl+H) in your script editing program.

2. In the "Find what" box, enter: Input.GetButtonDown("Jump"), and in the "Replace with" box, enter what you would like to replace it with (in this case, we'll use the down arrow/S key): Input.GetAxisRaw("Vertical") <= -0.5f.

3. Now we can change the "Input.GetAxisRaw("Vertical") >= 0.5f" statement (at line 4664) to: Input.GetButton("Jump").

4. However, this statement is inside of another "if" statement (at line 4629), which reads: if (Input.GetAxisRaw("Horizontal") != 0 || Input.GetAxisRaw("Vertical") != 0){
    and because we are using the jump button in place of the up arrow/W key, we must replace the "Input.GetAxisRaw("Vertical") != 0" in this statement with: Input.GetButton("Jump").

5. Save, then test it out! :D

For your second question, in addition to disabling the "Lock Movement On Z Axis" option in the Player Controller, you also need to disable the "Lock Movement On Z Axis" option in the Ledge Climb Controller. This option can be found in the Moving Detectors>Side Scrolling category of the script. :)

Hello, and thank you for the question. Unfortunately, I do not have any plans for adding wall running at this time. I'm sorry. :(

22. brut69

brut69

OK I bought it... but I run into the following problems:
    1. Spamming Space makes the character fly
    2. I need a way to make the character stop sliding off the walls. Just hanging is enough for me
    3. The character doesn't always "hang" from a ledge. I need to try multiple times (10+) before he gets a hold of it. What am I doing wrong?
    4. A better punch animation would make this a far better asset.
    5. I am only using it currently for the health and Coin system since the other animations look very poor and buggy... and thankfully the coin system works perfectly ( I see the gui on the top and coins are added when picked up) BUT the Health system does not. I add the script and even though I can pickup heart's (so it's working) , I can't see the health/hearts on the top of the screen. I tried playing with the GUI location but that doesn't seem to be doing anything. Any ideas/hints?
    How do I set it so when the hearts hit 0 to respawn to a location? Currently the enemies do attack me but nothing happens
    6. What is the variable used for the coins ? Lets say I want my NPC to require 100 coins , how do I subtract them from the player? Which is the variable that I need to address too?

Currently this asset is ... OK I think but could use some polishing.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  23. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hello! Thank you very much for your questions and purchase! :)
    Sorry I couldn't get to answering these questions sooner today. Unity's website wasn't loading for me earlier, and I wasn't able to get this page. I'll answer all the questions you have now though (even though you may have already figured some of them out from purchasing it, lol).

Yes! The camera angle can be switched while in-game. To do so, just disable the "Switch To Mouse Orbit If Input Button Pressed" option in the Mouse Orbit category of the CameraController script, and enable the "Switch To First Person If Input Button Pressed" option in the First Person category. Then all you have to do is press the selected input button while in-game to change the camera view.
    Unfortunately no. I'm sorry.
    The player climbs on any wall with a specific user-defined tag. You can change this tag, or make other tags that allow walls to be climbable (each with their own specific climbing settings), in the "Climbing" section of the PlayerController script.
    He can jump/grab a ledge without having to fall off first.
    Of course! They're all humanoid animations, so they will work with any other humanoid character.
    Nope, not unless your planning to change or add things to the script that is, lol.
    Fixed, and will be in the next update.
    In the "Wall Jumping" category of the PlayerController script, disable the option named "Slide Down Walls".
    In the "Overall Scale Of Detectors" category of the LedgeClimbController script, try adjusting the length/height/width options to better suit your player. If he is a different size than the ninja, these options most likely need to be adjusted. For example, if your character is taller, try adjusting the "Height" and "Length". If your character is wider, try adjusting the "Width" and "Length".
    If you are not using your own character, and are still using the ninja, check to make sure his layer set to "Ignore Raycast", and that "Ignore Raycast" is disabled in the "Collision Layers" of the PlayerController and LedgeClimbController script.
    Thank you for the feedback/suggestion :)

24. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Ah, both of these are easy fixes actually. To make the heart GUI appear, open the Health>Health GUI>Heart Images section of the Health script. Then, set the Element 0 image to the heart image named "0", the Element 1 image to the heart image named "1", the Element 2 image to the heart image named "2", and so on until you've put an image in for all the elements. If you need more help with this part, make sure to check the "Setting up Health.cs with your character" section of the documentation on page 16.
    Then, to set the respawn location of the player, simply open up the "Respawn" section of the Health script, and enter a location :)
    The variable used for the coins is "itemList.itemCount", but since multiple items can be attached to the ItemManager script, make sure that whenever you use this variable that it's in a "for (int i = 0; i < itemList.Length; i++){}" statement :)
    So to subtract 100 coins, you would write:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. for (int i = 0; i < itemList.Length; i++){
    2.     itemList[i].itemCount -= 100;
    3. }
    Thank you again! :D

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  25. brut69

brut69

But now I get spammed with this error:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Health.Update () (at Assets/EasyLedgeClimb/Scripts/Player/Health.cs:207)

But everything seems to work fine (except this error appearing like 100 times)

26. brut69

brut69

Also
    Is there a way to set the enemy to do an attack animation when they are close ? Or is it only touch-to-hit?

27. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

That line requires the player to have the PlayerController script attached. However, you can make it not require the PlayerController script, without losing any functionality, by replacing line 207 with this:
    if (GetComponent<PlayerController>() && GetComponent<PlayerController>().attackTimer <= damage.enemyDamage.secondsToStayInvincibleAfterAttacking){

Also, if it gives you any other errors like that, it's most likely because it requires the PlayerController script attached. So to fix it, just add "GetComponent<PlayerController>() &&" to the beginning of the error line's "if" statement (which is what I did for line 207 above), which allows it to not require the script.
    It's only touch-to-hit.

Thanks again :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  28. brut69

brut69

Em... now it ruined everything
    I get this error :
    Assets/EasyLedgeClimb/Scripts/Player/Health.cs(207,96): error CS1061: Type `Health.PlayerDamage' does not contain a definition for `enemyDamage' and no extension method `enemyDamage' of type `Health.PlayerDamage' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference

29. brut69

brut69

It won't even let me test the game with that "fix"! Help!

30. brut69

brut69

OK I fixed it ... it should be :
    if (GetComponent<PlayerController>() && GetComponent<PlayerController>().attackTimer <= damage.Damage.secondsToStayInvincibleAfterAttacking){

31. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

My bad. In the fix I posted, I called the "secondsToStayInvincibleAfterAttacking" variable from "damage.enemydamage." (which is where the variable is located in my updated version of the script, which hasn't been released yet), when it should have been called from just "damage." (which is where it is located in the current release version of the script). Good job figuring it out though :)

32. BlanketsWilson

BlanketsWilson

Any update on the swimming feature?
    I hope to use it, looks great.

33. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

I was hoping somebody would ask about the updates this week, because I just finished them and will be uploading them this weekend! ;)

After I publish the updates, they have to be approved by the asset store team first though (which usually takes a few business days) before they can be made publicly available, so the updates will probably be available some time around the end of the week.

Also, in addition to the swimming, I added some other new features in the update, such as: a falling animation for the player, fall damage, animated enemies, an improved documentation with a table of contents, and a bunch of other minor things.

Thank you for the question! :)

Edit: The updates have been uploaded and are now available!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
  34. unityd95

unityd95

Ok Great product, I've bought it earlier today and appears to work very well, I was just wondering how to make my player jump higher without having to choose double jump ? I would like to be able to jump once at a given height. Thankyou, I Look forward to your reply.

35. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hi! Thank you for the question.

In the Movement>Jumping section of the player controller, there is a category named "Number And Height Of Jumps". In this category, the "Size" option is the number of jumps your player can perform, and the number associated with each element is the height of that jump. So, if you wanted to perform only one jump, you would set the "Size" to 1, and if you wanted to increase the height of that jump, you would increase that element's (Element 0's) number to whatever you would like its jump height to be.

Also, to disable the double jump, simply uncheck the option named "Allow Double Jump" in the Movement>Jumping section of the player controller.

Thank you again! :)

36. unityd95

unityd95

37. unityd95

unityd95

Thankyou that worked. I have spotted a small bug though. If you keep on jumping on a collidable object for quite a length of time and near to the edge, the player teleports to his starting point. This is not due to enemies attacking as i have them turned off for now.

38. unityd95

unityd95

Just a quick note to anybody else who has this problem, disable 'run scripts while jumping' in the walking off ledge settings and it clears the bug.

39. unityd95

unityd95

I thought this fixed the bug, but it just happened again, It could be very frustrating if your a long way through the level and this happens, please may you look into this please.

40. unityd95

unityd95

Sorry for all these replies, the player was loosing health when falling, Ive turned this off and it now works fine.

41. mjemerson

mjemerson

Hi, I'm currently searching around for a good character controller for a third person game and this looks like it does pretty much everything I'd need. However, my character is not a chibi size, would the animation and general controls work for a full sized player avatar?

42. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Yes! They most certainly would :)
    Thank you for the question!

43. mjemerson

mjemerson

That's great, thanks so much for a quick answer!

44. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

No problem! Thank you so much for your interest :)

45. mjemerson

mjemerson

Hey again,

So, I downloaded the character controller and have been working with it - all seems great so far....but when I use my own full sized human avatar, even though she uses the walking animation she's floating above the plane and I cannot understand how to get her to stay on the ground. I am assuming it's because the script is written for a small character like the ninja? Also, how can I get her to stop doing the peace sign like the ninja does? It really doesn't work well with her hand and I don't think it suits her....

46. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hi again! Thanks for the questions :)

The script is written for every size character actually (I've tested my asset on many taller characters before, and they never float above the ground), so it may be possible that your player's collider is simply too tall or below the player, pushing her above the ground.
    If this is the case, simply select your player in the "Hierarchy" tab. Then, in the "Inspector" tab, adjust the "Height" and/or "Y" option of your player's "Character Controller" component (if your player has a Character Controller) or "Collider" component (if your player has a Rigidbody) until the bottom of the collider is at the bottom of your player's feet. You can view your player's collider (outlined in green) in the "Scene" tab to see how it is positioned and sized.
    Also, if you haven't already, make sure to check out the "Setting Up the All in One Game Kit - ELC Character System with a New Character" section of the documentation. The instructions in there may be able to help (if the floating problem comes from the player not being set up correctly).

As for removing the peace sign from the idle animation, this is quite easy actually :) First, select the "LedgeClimbNinja" model in the AllInOneGameKitELC>Models>LedgeClimbNinja folder. Next, click the "Animations" tab in the "Inspector". Finally, select his "Idle" animation, then change the "End" frame from 290 to 174 (this cuts out the peace sign portion of the animation). In addition, if you'd like to find some more animations for your character, I recommend Unity's free animation pack: "Raw Mocap Data for Mecanim". It includes a bunch of great animations that can be used with any humanoid character ;)

I hope this helps, and thank you again! :D

elijahrockshout likes this.
  47. elijahrockshout

elijahrockshout

Hey mjemerson,
    I had made a short tutorial video for you, but Grantrum had replied before I got a chance to post it.
    The quality isn't the best as I don't have any official screen capture software (I used the windows 10 game capture, which is done by pressing the windows key + 'G' key)
    You can kind of get an idea of how to setup a non chibi character that does not float above the ground and change out the default ninja peace / idle animation.

48. emiller100

emiller100

Is the character movement done using physics? Is root motion used? Do you list anywhere your future plans for this asset? Thanks!

49. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Wow! Awesome work on that tutorial :D
    Thank you so much for making it!

Hi! Thank you for the questions :)

The movement is controlled with CharacterController.Move (for Character Controllers) or Rigidbody.MovePosition and Rigidbody.velocity (for Rigidbodies). I didn't use physics for the movement (since it doesn't give you quite the same control that completely scripted movement does), but I made sure to replicate the most important aspects of it (such as sliding and the overall smoothness of its movement).

Root motion is not used for character movement in the asset, but each animation included does contain root motion (in case anyone wants to use them for something else that requires root motion).

Also, I usually post my future plans for the asset on this thread :)

Thanks again!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  50. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hey everyone! Sales have been very slow lately, so I've discounted the price of my asset from $50.00 back to $29.99. I'm not sure if this will be a permanent change, but if you haven't gotten it yet because of the price, make sure to get it now while you still can :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    JonnylikesJazz and Shodan0101 like this.