Search Unity

[ON $20 FIXED PRICE SALE!✅]Sky Master ULTIMATE: Sky, Ocean, Volume Clouds-lighting, Weather, RTGI

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Nov 17, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

The water issue could be the reflection script rendering the whole world a 2ond time. Try to go to reflections script and limit the reflection layers (so you dont reflect everything and especially the high draw calls or many copies of objects)

The other rendering that happens is when you setup the shore waves, there you would also need to limit the depth rendering camera to the terrain layers and not render everything as well.

The water itself is shader based, so should not give much of peformance issue by itself.

Also make sure to use the 4 planes scheme that follow the player than creating a big array of smaller planes, which is generally more expensive.

There is also a button to disable water plane coliders, you can also disable the colliders and see if perhaps there was some constant collisions that created the issue.

If none solve the issue, you can always send me your scene to try and debug possible causes (or i can Skype in to try and debug).

Also does the slow down happen in the water in my demos too ? (looking to see if there is parhaps an incompatibility with your system which is harder to pinpoint in tests)

errandfox likes this.
  2. jaraen

jaraen

Hi!

I bought Sky Master Ultimate 3 some weeks ago and I've been playing with the demos for some time now, which are absolutely amazing and inspiring. Now that I want to start using it in a project, I find that the asset package is pretty large (specially for us that mainly work on mobile platforms) and I was wondering which assets from the package could I remove if I only want to use weather effects (mainly rain and storm).The fact that files are organized by version does not help too much (at least from a newbie perspective!) and demo scenes are mixed with required files. Maybe including a package content description would help, or sorting them in a manner that are easier to uncheck from the import dialog. Importing it in a iOS project takes a long time and I think I'm including a lot of files that I'll never use. Does it makes sense or the package is designed to be fully imported every time?

Thanks and congrats for such a great job.

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the kind comments :)

The pack can be stripped of many items, i have generally done all required prefabs in the PrefabWizard folder, so you can grab most of the needed effects there. The shaders and assets for the prefabs are in assets folders though, so if remove items need some care to not remove the needed folders.

Generally Unity will strip all not needed items when building for mobile, for example my APK demo is a few MB, and is exported from the full pack, so the final build size will not be as big as the pack itself, but rather depending on which items have been used.

In v3.0 i have a folder (Assets -> Version 3.0) that holds most of my v3.0 demo items, so this can be readilly removed to save on project space and insertion time as well (around half space is there, 220MB, note that this also holds my sample terrain textures so some materials on ground may require new texturing).

GI Proxy folder holds the Attrium scene which is also rather big, so this can be removed as well, the script needed for GI Proxy is in Sky Master folder, so essentially the whole GI Proxy folder can be removed, if demos are not needed (another 50MB)

Another 50MB+ are in demo scene files as well (in v2.0 demos folder and root) and on manual PDFs.

These will remove around 300MB+ from the 500MB total.

In Assets -> Version 1.0 are most of the rest of assets, there is a sounds folder and a Materials and meshes folder there, so you can erase or replace some of the textures and items there, though some of these are smoke etc textures needed for a few of the effects or clouds, so this needs more care.

I am also thinking of a restructuring for later versions, the reason i have not done so is because i want to evaluate well how this might affect existing users so it does not break their project, so will take some time, but is something planned.

The upcoming v3.4 has also much increased usuability and many more options in the Inspector, with a new option for curve and gradient based coloration system for sky-water and fog and many new major systems. The Beta can be downloaded from Google on PM request.

Here is the Beta demo: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/Sky Master/SKY MASTER 3/ATOLL v3.4 DEMO.html

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  4. jaraen

jaraen

Hey,

thanks a lot for the guidance. I couldn't try it yet, but I'm pretty sure this will help. The beta looks impressive, what is the tiny planet parameter for, if may I ask?

5. errandfox

errandfox

Hi it was the reflection camera - my terrain is pretty massive/heavy, thankyou for that! the water wasn't too bad at all without full reflections :)

nasos_333 likes this.
  6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great :), indeed the reflection and depth render cameras can induce performance hits based on scene complexity, thus i have the layer control to limit their influence on the needed items, especially on big complex worlds.

For depth camera for example only the terrains for shore lines would be selected, for the depth rendering that governs the wave breaking on shores.

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

8. Duffer123

Duffer123

@nasos_333 ,

Playmaker integration and ' easy' Seasons in the immediate design pipeline?

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Duffer123,

I plan to have as much Playmaker as possible, given some requests are made for specific features with it, so i can focus on what has to be done. I am not a Playmaker user so i gave it a first go, but cant seem to decide what to implement from the system, so please let me know what actions or features you have in mind and i will try to bring forth as much in v3.4 final release.

About seasons, emulating a seasonal effect the way i envision it takes a very big complexity, thus i want to do this right and will be material for v3.5+, the goal is to have the whole enviornment be seasonally changed, which if not done right could confuse and create problems as there is so many systems involved. For current seasons, you can enable the appropriate weather effects and use events for them, the goal after that is to have demos with the whole world getting seasonal changes and this will probably be combined with InfinGRASS 2.0 where i now implement vast grass - tree amounts and super optimized particles over them (which is ideal for sping leaves for example)

Also some extra shader work is needed to complete these effects, like baked rain drops on the ground and water shaders etc

The weather severity slider in v3.4 will also be heavilly used to give variance to the seasonal effects.

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Conversion of Volume Particle Clouds to Shuriken for v3.5 (WIP). Most of the base is now done (including billboards roll stability etc) and the focus will be on shading tweaking and an as easy as possible transition to the Shuriken (e.g. an automated conversion if possible while both systems are available in current Unity version and until Unity decides to eliminate the Legacy Paticles)

The Shuriken system will also open new possibilities of interaction, with both its native capabilities and the included Particle Dynamic Magic systems.

600 and docsavage like this.
  11. nasos_333

nasos_333

The New in v3.4 volumetric lighting and Sun beams (from every sun direction, sample videos below of v3.4) will get a noise function for v3.5 to emulate wind on the atmospheric dust.

UPDATE:

A few more new features for v3.5:
    - Moods collection system, that will auto tweak the system for various moods and save a preview as well (TBD for the save preview image). Also considering making a snapshot system and lerp to states (or instant state re-creation).
    - Guidable floaters (currently only boat moves in the sample gameplay script) and optimization when massive amount of floaters are needed (multithreading and frame spliting the calculationss)
    - More waves in the shore line breaking and with special FX
    - The new in v3.4 volumetric lighting system (which allows sun beams from every sun direction) will also get a noise function to emulate air in the atmospheric dust that is currently emulated in v3.4. The GI Proxy demo (v3.4 shown above) will also be augmented with the new noise system as option for even more variance.

Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4 Beta will last a bit longer and the reduced price will revert to normal after v3.4 release on the store. The Beta is ready for download for all current users of the system and there is two patches available, i can send upon PM request for everyone insterested.

Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4 Beta demo (WIP): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/Sky Master/SKY MASTER 3/ATOLL v3.4 DEMO.html

docsavage likes this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Volumetric lighting in v3.4 (for effects like sun beams from every angled direction) - noisy dust special FX WIP for v3.5. The noisy dust effect may also come in v3.4 if i am pleased with the progress until v3.4 release.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    chiapet1021 likes this.
  13. nasos_333

nasos_333

A few possibilities with the Sky Master ULTIMATE ground shader (wetness, snow, real time coloration etc). The terrain splat maps should have a proper corresponding bump map splat assigned for best result.

UPDATE:

Volumetric lighting in v3.4 (sun beams from every sun direction)
    , combined with the real time Global Illumination proxy system of Sky Master ULTIMATE.

Sky Master ULTIMATE is on sale for a limited time, until the v3.4 Beta goes up on the store !!!

Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4 Beta demo (WIP): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/Sky Master/SKY MASTER 3/ATOLL v3.4 DEMO.html

docsavage likes this.
  14. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Another addition for the next v3.4 Beta patch, control of the gradient volume fog resolution of the gradient texture, for better adaptation of the effect on larger world scales.

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Volumetric lighting and dust WIP (Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4)

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

Vivid Dusk settings WIP (Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4)

docsavage likes this.
  17. IrishDev

IrishDev

I recently bought Sky Master and have been trying to intergrate it with a project but have been having issues, I was hoping could be answered here. 1) how are the underwater effects added? The water button was used from the Sky Master object, water plain was added but the underwater effects were not. Not sure but I haven't seen a tutorial on this.
    2) the terrain I am using was generated via TerrainComposer2. If the terrain is added as a unity terrain all the splat textures disappear. As anyone encountered a similar issue?

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

About the water, the underwater is enabled by default, so when you enter the water from the Inspector enter play mode and move the camera before the water surface to see the effect (blur and shader adapation). You can disable the underwater transition in the water script (waterHandlerSM).

Also you can add the "Add water drops" and "Add volumetric fog" camera FX ( Camera FX section) to get the effect of water driping as you exit water and volume fog underwater.

About TC2, i have not got any similar reports, also Sky Master does not affect splat maps, only handles the general terrain shader. If the setup has added my material, then perhaps the specular (which is one parameter that affects the whole terrain) must be set lower or higher, so you can change the Sky Master terrain material properties (the material can be found by pressing the material on the terrain material section and this will move to the material in the assets) and set specular higher for wet ground, this will eliminate the general specularity and show splats more clearly.

Let me know if the above solve the issues and for any further details and help.

Also does the issue happen with other than TC2 terrains ?

19. IrishDev

IrishDev

Thank Nasos for the quick response.
    I ran some additional tests and confirmed that the underwater effects do work as expected, once the terrain has been added but the other issue continues to occur.
    It does appear to be another shader that is causing the issue as the TC2 splat maps are not disappearing but are very washed out, as can be seen in the attached image.
    You mentioned that I should look for a potentially problematic shader but seem I cannot find it. I checked on the Sky Master Manager object and on the terrain object.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  20. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

About the terrain material, you can click on your terrain that was setup with Sky Master Inspector and go to the Terrain Settings section (in the terrain inspector, the Gear icon to the far right of the icons bar). There is a section there where you choose a custom material and the material name. Sky Master uses "SM_TerrainSNOW_Lite" material for Unity terrains.

This material can also be searched in the assets by the same name or by clicking on it in the terrain inspector should focus on it and then you can select it to see its Inspector. In the material inspector there is a specular color (which is default to reddish) which gives the red look, change this to a grey scale range to get closer to the original colors. The "Shiness" will give an overall shine to terrain if set all the way left and focued specular (wet ground emulation) when moving the right. Note that when all the way left the specular is spread i nall terrain, so you can adjust the specular and main colors lower to get the colors you need based on the original splats.

Note that the Main color is handled by the SkyMasterManager variables per season (spring is default so starting color is defined by the variable "Terrain_Spring_Col" in SkyMasterManager colors near the script Inspector end). The color is applied through the SeasonalTerrainSKYMASTER script attached to the terrain and can be changed in real time in this script after the initial assignment at game start ("Terrain_tint" variable).

Let me know if these solve the issue and for further help

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

The third patch for v3.4 Beta has been released and is available for download in Google Drive. I can send the link on PM request immediately.

The patch stabilizes the random flicker of sky in editor mode (game mode is not having the flicker issue, it is editor side only). Also i have added a first base of the dust emulation in the new volumetric lighting system and augmented the GI Proxy demo with it.

docsavage likes this.
  22. IrishDev

IrishDev

Thanks for your help Nasos, all the information that you provided addressed the issues I was having.

nasos_333 likes this.
  23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great :), let me know if anything else comes up and for further help

24. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sky Master ULTIMATE with InfiniLAND system, WIP base for InfiniGRASS v2.0 demo. The lands will be created & planted on the fly as the player moves and the next gen grass and trees will be streamed and pooled as the player reaches the grow distance. Sky Master will be used for handling the dynamic snow coverage on grass and trees.

Image in HD: http://i.imgur.com/DLDgiTH.jpg

docsavage likes this.
  25. nasos_333

nasos_333

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

A few more have been added for v3.4 final patch, i decided to add the new Volume Particle clouds Shuriken option in v3.4, since the earliest this feature comes the better for converting and be ready for the time Unity may remove Legacy particles at some future version.

Also i will be doing much more tweaking in both the volume particle clouds and new shader volume clouds.

Other things that will be handled is adjustable haze amount in underwater (currently is fixed value), the events system functionality will be made more clear in Inspector (and some notes that are not correct will be fixed to show better the actual functionality, plus a repeat events option will be created), a control for fog gradient resolution will be added and a speed offset factor will be available to adjust the base non volume clouds (shader on domes) wind speed based on the global wind.

The next patch will be the last before the store release. Also the asset will continue to be on discount until the v3.4 release.

docsavage likes this.
  28. nasos_333

nasos_333

First pics of the combined Sky Master v3.4 and InfiniGRASS v2.0 demo,
    showcasing a fully procedurally created vast world.

Also while optimizing the demo, i discovered that the volume fog created some CG collection due to the gradient handling, thus i have worked around this and is now even more optimized.

A video and then a webplayer demo will follow soon.

All Sky Master systems (including the new clouds and volume lighting in v3.4) can be used in the vast open world directly from my tests and the only thing needed was a follow scipt so that cloud domes are always centerd to the player as he moves in the vast landscapes.

Also even with all effects on (water, volume clouds and lighting, ambient calculations, sky with gradient control etc) and real time terrain, foliage planting and creation (with pooling and streaming in InfiniGRASS v2.0) the performance is great (and my tests are on my very old 2010 PC)

Everything in the pics is procedurally generated and can be regulated in real time (e.g. tree type and placement, grass and trees amounts, terrain height and noise frequencies, roads height and width, cloud speed, coverage and evolution, water type etc)

docsavage likes this.
  29. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4 and InfiniGRASS v2.0 used in streaming vast open worlds (endless procedural creation) with next generation grass, environments and shadows.

InfiniGRASS 2.0 uses a combination of balanced batching and pooling to get the best adaptation / next gen grass look VS best performance and smooth streaming ratio.

Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4 is also adapted for the endless world to make sure it works properly under the full world scale for the volume clouds, volume lighting and other systems.

This is an early demo of the possibilities, a lot more additions and optimizations will be made until the final demo.

The demo is software recorded in my 2010 PC, and uses most effects in both Sky Master (volume clouds, volume lighting, ambient calculations, waving water, refractions-reflections etc) and InfiniGRASS (grass can be burned, erased and has wind emulation, player interaction etc)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    docsavage likes this.
  30. nasos_333

nasos_333

From the WIP in the Sky Master v3.4 and InfiniGRASS v2.0 procedural dynamic world demo.

Added snow, fixed an issue in cloud shadows, added wet/snow terrain materials and adjusted the volumetric lighting further.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    docsavage likes this.
  31. nasos_333

nasos_333

From the WIP in the Sky Master v3.4 and InfiniGRASS v2.0 procedural dynamic world demo (Video). Everything in the world is procedurally created on the fly.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    docsavage likes this.
  32. Duffer123

Duffer123

Are those screenies using infinitree as well as infinigrass?

33. nasos_333

nasos_333

IntiniTREE is not used yet (trees are InfiniGRASS ones), though InfiniTREE 2 is to be added to the procedural world demo at some point, for dynamic roots, branches, L-trees etc, after InfiniGRASS 2 and Sky Master v3.4 releases. The trees will be integrated to the same scheme as infiniGRASS ones.

One part of InfiniTREE 2, on the fly reconfigurable trees (not L-trees), will though be in the demo, since it is possible to run through the InfiniGRASS manager and the system is already done.

I have now also added a base of my house construction work, almost finilized the roof code too (which was much harder than i ancticipated) and the demo should also have procedural housing to showcase placement and grass-foliage around them.

The idea is to first "plant" the houses (using the same optimization techniques as well as grass) and then the grass, so it wont cut in homes etc in the procedural mode. Also knowing the house properties (since it s parametric) various effects can also be added further in a separate extra planting layers.

34. Duffer123

Duffer123

Good grief you're busy still! ;)

35. docsavage

docsavage

Good to hear about infitree updates as well.

Did I just read it wrong or did you mention procedural houses!?

36. nasos_333

nasos_333

The goal is to have a fully procedural world, i have systems in the works for everything (mostly work for my RPG), just not ready for the store yet and i am working on everything in parallel, so the new versions can be compatible with each other, the coming systems and a fully automated world generator scheme.

Besides land and houses (and castles which is my ultimate goal which i want to finilize for my RPG too) i also work on a procedural wild life generator with environment aware agents and flocking/forces that will complement the overall idea and on top of this world there will also be a gameplay generator (PANDORA) which is planned to plug in in a streamlined way as well, for automatic creation of randomized emergent gameplay.

All these will at some point converge to the grand whole as i imagine it, probably by next autumn. Though demos with the combined systems will release frequently, starting with the demo i work on now using a few parts of the land and castle creation assets, InfiniGRASS 2 and Sky Master Ultimate 3.4.

docsavage likes this.
  37. nasos_333

nasos_333

Few pics from the Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4 volume clouds WIP

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP from the new Sky Master ULTIMATE 3.4 and InfiniGRASS v2.0 demo, for procedural world and weather conditions generation.

Based on this new combination of systems, a lot of weather etc functionality will be fine tuned and new system will be created to tie the climate, foliage and land together in various ways for the procedural fully automated creation of an evolving world.

39. nasos_333

nasos_333

A note on the rainbow on v3.4 Beta version, the system is made such that the rainbow will appear during and shortly after rain weather is activated and will disspear in clear weather.

If the rainbow is needed to stay constanly on independently of weather, the rainbow material can be copied and the copy applied to the rainbow and thus wont be controlled by the weather system and remain with any property the new material has.

A few videos from the Beta WIP

Sky Master ULTIMATE v3.4 Beta is available in Google Drive download.

docsavage likes this.
  40. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Looks like a good beta, when are you likely to update the one on the asset store or how do I access the google drive update to test it ?

Also although the sky looks amazing in those screenshots at some angles the ground and water seem to become unrealistically white and washed out. It's almost like your sky now looks too good for the ground.

I think your videos would look better if you showed them with a more advanced ground and water shader. It looks like your ground shaders aren't pbr shaders or something like that. The water waves look very good for example but the water doesn't look like water from all angles. Perhaps you could make a more pbr based shader with something like shader forge or shader sandwich.

The shadows and volumetric light look amazing its just to my eye the ground responds to the sun light too intensely at certain angles. Or perhaps there should be an option to limit the intensity of how bright the water can become or something like that ?

Thanks,

Ian

41. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi Ian,

The brightness of the background in the map, together with clouds and water fogging are WIP, i have the means to adjust them all but they are not as clear as i would like yet, thus i am now adjusting the features to see the easiest ways to get the proper results.

I may have to add some extras to that end, so will be ongoing until 3.4 store release. The water shader extension is planned for v3.5 of the system where i will also add FFT water waves for even better ocean motion, so v3.5 will be mostly about water (and adding mobile features directly in the inspector for easy access). Also the water can be fogged by Unity fog, but this is a bit limiting since you may need different fog distances in clouds and water - ground, to that end i have added a self fog feature for the new clouds (so the Unity fog can be adjusted independently) and in v3.5 i will also have a self fogging for water shader too for even more precice and separated control.

The new volume lighting also creates a more vibrant background as the beams intensity is adjusted higher, so i limit this using the volume gradient fog and i may add some extra option for that as well until release.

The PBR ground remake is a great idea and i will persue also for v3.5.

I will send a PM with the v3.4 Beta, the system is mostly done and it is some tweaks in clouds, a merge in cloud shaders and a few other items that remain to be done until release (e.g. finilize the Shuriken option in volume particle clouds, optimize volume fog gradient system, add underwater fog amount adjustment etc), the system is planned to release on the store later this month.

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

A few pics from tweaking volume fog, using gradient to control depth vibrance and coloration

docsavage likes this.
  43. Mad_Mark

Mad_Mark

Finally got around to starting another test level. Fired up SkyMaster, and what do I find? The 3.x interface is awesome Nasos! What a difference from where you started. Everything is soooo much easier now. Excellent work.

Every silver lining has a cloud, though. I am having trouble with the new water component. I run through the entire exercise of setting things up, and then when I add water to my TerrainComposer2 terrain (Unity standard terrain object) and run the game, half of the water disappears. Don't know why, don't know how, it just isn't visible. Redone it 6 times, same effect.
    Damn OneDrive, https://1drv.ms/i/s!Arm-M4Dmh-6p0GNeGTSKwubaKJA_

Now, if I step into where it should be, I get the underwater effects, so it's there, it's just not 1/2 visible. I've tried the standard 4x6 default size, in case it doesn't scale well, 8x8 which is what I actually need, and clicked the Radial Large Plane option, (which doesn't do anything) and it's always the same. Oh, and the bright blue box in the middle of that lake is just a bounding box for my bass. I disabled them too, in case they were somehow interfering, still not right.

In the editor when not running the game, it looks 100% right. Edges are covered by the terrain, water is where it should be. Any ideas as to what ham-fingered actions or misaligned settings might cause this?

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

About the water, my first guess is that is some sorting issue. As a first step you can enter my demos and see if the water works ok there, to see if something is globally wrong.

The only time i have seen water not appear is when there is waves and the bounding box is wrongfully calculated due to the shader based nature of the wave creation (e.g. Unity does not know the waves exist, thus it disables the tile thinking it is not in view)

I have added a RecalcBOUNDS.cs script on the planes for that purpose, so as a second step enable the script on the planes and see if it fixes the issue.

The other ways water may not appear is when there is too much fade out near shores and this is another factor that you may adjust to see, in the Water section, there is a "Shore blend offset" variable, set this one higher and see if it addresses the issue (though this is probably not the problem, as it would cause the left tile to not appear either)

The Radial Large Plane option will add only 4 planes that have the detail concentrated in the middle and then you can enable the system that makes them follow the player, so for endless oceans is recommended. The system will add the 4 radial planes after pressing "Add Water" button (that is why it wont do anything right after pressing it, it is an option related to the planes addition with the button)

You can add both radial and straight tiles too (or erase them from the water holder - only the tiles and not the water script) if needed.

Let me know if the above worked and for further questions and help. If it is still not working i can Skype in as well to debug the issue.

There is also v3.4 Beta available for download that has an even better interface, with more categorization, many more control options, plus gradient coloration support as option additionally to presets and tabs to select the categories much easier. Let me know and i can send the links in a PM. The version has been tested for an extensive amount of time and only a few tweaks and additions remain for the final release (mainly in the new shader based volume clouds)

45. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP videos from the new Sky Master ULTIMATE 3.4 and InfiniGRASS v2.0 demo, for procedural world and weather conditions generation.

46. Duffer123

Duffer123

Wow.

nasos_333 likes this.
  47. nasos_333

nasos_333

48. nasos_333

nasos_333

WIP videos from the new Sky Master ULTIMATE 3.4 and InfiniGRASS v2.0 demo, for procedural world and weather conditions generation.

docsavage likes this.
  49. nasos_333

nasos_333

The Shuriken based Volume Particle Clouds are now completly done and ready for release along with v3.4.

This was the only major v3.4 that remained, thus only a few tweaks to shader clouds and expose of a few more parameters in the configurator are left until v3.4 release.

docsavage likes this.
  50. nasos_333

nasos_333

A few comments on Volumetric Clouds use as fog (regulation of hard edge with water-ground), rendering clouds in front of other transparent items when in ground level (e.g. tree billboards) and use of Volumetric Fog with Unity fog in scenes with transparent objects (e.g. billboards, water).

The Volume Particle clouds have a special variable in the shader that is based on Soft Particles feature (but has extended range) that can adjust the hard line of the particles with water and ground.

The issue where clouds that are in front of trees, may show behind billboard trees, is an inherent issue due to the way transparency is handled. All transparent items render in one go and due to the way the order is calculated (e.g. by the center of the particle system batch than the individual particles) it may cause the particles to appear in various order (e.g. when the center is behind the billboard transparent trees the system renders all particles behind as well independently of their actual position).

To address this the method is to separate the transparent items to layers and thus define exactly the order they are rendered. The default layer is 0 where all Shuriken and Unity tree billboards etc transparent items are rendered. So to tell the system that clouds should be rendered above the billboards i have created a "set render queue" script that will apply the chosen layer, which in the specific case should be 1 (so the clouds render above the billboards at 0). Water is set to -1 by default (will render last after clouds and billboards).

Note that the default for clouds is to render at zero layer, since they are normally above the player and transparent objects are not expected to be seen behind them, but for ground-fog use the layer should be set to 1 to cover for the cases where transparent objects may be behind the clouds.

The same technique applies to other items, e.g. particles on scene etc. All the above also apply globally to Unity systems and thus is useful for any game or setup when transparencies are involved.

Picture guide for quick reference on the above (the script - method is also described in the manual with a few more details):

Similar issues may also appear when transparent objects are used with the Volume Fog, this fog does not affect these items. In this case the Unity fog may be enabled in addition, to affect water and particles or billboards and match the volume fog.

Picture guide for the Volume Fog use with Unity fog: