Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Discord

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StarvingIndieDeveloper, Sep 28, 2020.

1. StarvingIndieDeveloper

StarvingIndieDeveloper

Some people have suggested that setting up a Discord account is important, and I recently noticed one new game which seems to have gone viral mainly (I assume) because of its Discord community since the dev doesn't seem to have any other social media accounts as far as I can tell. But after looking in on that Discord account, I still can't figure out what the attraction is or how it's supposed to help much: it's mainly a realtime chat room filled mostly with announcements that Person X Has Slid Into The Room etc. Very little chatting, and other than that it just has the usual options to post screenshots and announcements just like at Steam or any social media service. So how is Discord best used?

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

I believe that unless you're highly internet-social or have staff members to spare so they can babysit this thing, it will likely end as a time-waster and not a good thing. I also believe if the game is popular enough, community will set up their own discord.

aer0ace likes this.
  3. aer0ace

aer0ace

Hmm, well, the Discord servers I'm a part of, there isn't "very little chatting". But, it basically is as you observed, other than the no chatting.

I consider Discord like "live chat" forums. You can engage with your community in a live setting. The problem with that, is that just like chat, it's very free-flow, and single stream, so topics (forum threads) don't have their own entry, so the only granularity you have is channels, which are your forum categories. I generally don't like it either, but again, it can be a great tool to engage with your fanbase.

4. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I don't know if the Discord is really how the thing went viral...but is it possible that you got into the Discord but didn't have full access? Some servers are set to only show a small amount of content/channels until you do something, maybe confirm TOA or similar in some channel or PM an admin.... this may not be it, just a possiblity that occurs to me, as I would think if it was viral, whether the Discord was the cause or not, there would be some chatter I would think.

aer0ace and angrypenguin like this.
  5. MDADigital

MDADigital

Discord is a great way of building a community. We have gotten so much dedicated players throgh it. Though we got them connected doing other kind of PR.