Search Unity

[DISCONTINUED] uWebKit - Chromium WebView for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by uWebKit.com, Aug 1, 2013.

1. JJJohan

JJJohan

It's a shame that the StreamingAssets folder for just 64-bit Windows is a 106MB addition to Unity, with one of the DLLS on its own being a whopping 69MB. I'm not questioning the necessity of these dependencies but it does limit the use of deploying lightweight applications.

2. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

@JJJohan uWebKit3 is built with Chromium and is significantly smaller than uWebKit2 which uses Qt. uWebKit provides a full featured browser so may still not qualify for some definitions of "lightweight". The binaries do compress pretty well

@byrd61bar I filed an issue to look into this: https://github.com/uWebKit/uWebKit/issues/7

@MegaThorxr We plan to have alpha mask support for beta 2 which is scheduled for this week

@an2015 Can you provide a website which exhibits this behavior? There shouldn't be a delta between running the in the editor and running in a deployed application. Does the log have any info in it?

- Josh
    http://www.uwebkit.com

3. MRD4296

MRD4296

Does uWebKit support flash?

4. MegaThorxr

MegaThorxr

@uWebKit.com is there an event which gets triggered when the browser tries to load a image.

I want to make it easy to load local files. For example "http://game/image.png"

5. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

6. bdovaz

bdovaz

@uWebKit.com why do you have edited your initial uWebKit3 post where you said it was a free upgrade to uWebKit3 Pro for uWebKit2 users? I also have seen github readme edited removing that phrase.

I want my free license upgrade as you said.

And also the last time I checked you also changed your pricing per project and you always said in your page you don't want crazy prices and licenses. uWebKit2 was 95$ if I remember well and NOT per project.

It's not professional changing this statements every day as you like.

7. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

@N3uRo: I apologize, we removed the language as it was confusing and didn't provide enough information. uWebKit3 is currently in beta and we're working on updating the technology and the licensing. We aren't quite ready to update the site with the info quite yet, though uWebKit3 will be a free upgrade for Unity Personal users. If you use Unity Pro, please contact sales@uwebkit.com with any upgrade questions.

Cheers,
    - Josh

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  8. guigui17f

guigui17f

Looking forward to the support of Cookie operations! It's really necessary to get or set Cookie values in many situations! Could you tell me when can I access this feature in uWebKit? Waiting for your reply, thanks in advance!

9. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

10. ianmacg

ianmacg

Some UWK filenames are too long for git. I've been resolving this by just deleting the Mac binaries folder. Does anyone have a better approach?

Example:
    fatal: unable to stat 'Assets/uWebKit/Internal/Editor/Binaries/Mac/x86_64/UWKProcess.app/Contents/Frameworks/Chromium Embedded Framework.framework/Resources/crash_report_sender.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/Localizable.strings': Filename too long

11. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

12. ianmacg

ianmacg

Hi Josh, yes I believe this is a Windows path limitation. However, I'm developing using Unity on Windows which I believe is a very common pairing. As such, is there anything else that can be done here?

13. scarpen

scarpen

Was UWKWebView.SetZoomFactor() removed in uWebKit3?

14. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

@ianmacg I have been able to checkout the public uWebKit tracking repo on Windows under C:\Dev\uWebKit\uWebKit3, what is your full path? Kind of hard to believe this is still an issue on Windows 10 :/

@scarpen We're working on bringing some API back up. I'll be putting up a new build shortly and will see about getting the zoom level controls in for it

- Josh

15. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

There's an updated uWebKit3 Beta available with some requested features and important stability updates. We're working on Beta 2 which will provide additional parity with uWebKit2 API's, though wanted to get this interim build out with these updates and fixes.

The updated uWebKit3 beta is available on the download page: http://uwebkit.com/download/

If you're a uWebKit Pro licensee and would like a build of this version ahead of Beta 2, please drop an email to sales@uwebkit.com

We've added support for setting the UserAgent as well as remote debugging support (see UWKConfig.cs)

Transparent WebViews are now supported as is setting the page ZoomLevel (please note this is different in uWebKit3/Chromium than ZoomFactor was in WebKit2, see the updated WebGUI example for usage)

Debugging a uWebKit WebView using Chrome developer tools:

uWebKit_Debug_Chromium.png

Transparent website rendered on 3D plane:

uWebKit_Alpha_Mask.png

uWebKit3 Multitab Browser example:

16. scarpen

scarpen

uWebKit3 Beta is not playing mp4 files for HTML5.

Test as follows:
    1. In uWebKit examples, load Example1WebBrowser scene
    2. Load the following html page: http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_video.asp
    3. Select "Try it yourself"
    4. Remove the portion that displays ogg: <source src="mov_bbb.ogg" type="video/ogg">
    5. Look at the Result

The HTML5 video sample, in uWebKit, only displays ogg, but not the mp4 file.

We have a need to play in uWebKit our mp4 files, but does not seem to working.

17. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

@scarpen Hello, unfortunately mp4 is a proprietary format which requires hefty license fees, especially when extending usage to sublicensees.

uWebKit3 supports webm (V8 and V9) as well as OGV video formats. Which are both open and widely used.

It is possible that uWebKit Professional may get a MP4 option, though this would most likely need to be on a per project basis due to the MP4 license.

- Josh

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  18. StealThePixels

StealThePixels

I'm interested in Professional with MP4 license. How much would it cost?
    I just need the plugin to be able to show a web page with eventually some HTML5 videos and be able to receive clicks and follow links.
    The links being textual or images or video ads

19. StealThePixels

StealThePixels

Just tried uWebkit.
    I have embedded a web page on the Movie Screen prefab.
    Playing from editor under windows, works well.
    But then i built for OSX with "Auto Graphics API" , and in the build i see a black page.

I will share the build and project with you if you need to check it out.

P.S. Does Auto Graphics API defaults to OpenGL Core? I was thinking that the issue is maybe that a different OpenGL API has been used, so i must force OpenGLCore from the settings.

20. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

@StealThePixels: Auto Graphics API should choose OpenGLCore, if it isn't that is something we'll need to check. There also needs to be a descriptive message if it isn't selected as the GL path is disabled. We can reintroduce it possible if needed, though GLCore is the better choice for performance, etc. Do you have a mac you can test on or are you cross compiling from Windows to Mac?

uWebKit3 supports webm (both v8 and v9) and ogv video formats. MP4/H264 licensing information can be found on the MPEG site. We are available to provide custom integration, though due to the complexity and cost of MP4 licensing cannot provide support in the stock uWebKit3 Professional binary package.

uWebKit3 is free for projects that use Unity Personal. If your project uses Unity Pro, please request a quote by emailing sales@uwebkit.com providing some basic company information and project scope such as number of developers, timeframe, how uWebKit will be used in the project.

Cheers!
    - Josh

21. StealThePixels

StealThePixels

I am cross compiling with Unity 5.3.0 from Windows to Mac and i give the Mac build to other people to test.

22. StealThePixels

StealThePixels

23. StealThePixels

StealThePixels

Done another test, but with the old version of uWebkit... it worked! :)

24. Agnostic

Agnostic

Hi @uWebKit.com , I was trying the demo, it's awesome, but I have a question, can I configure the audio source? what if I want to render multiple web views inside of my game? I want to add some mini games in HTML5.

25. dadaobjec t

dadaobjec t

hello @uWebKit.com
    I want to buy uwebkit3
    The unity tool we use is 4.x
    I need to know the price and terms of payment.

My email address is 715632959@qq.com
    Please contact me

26. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

@StealThePixels That's great news, thanks for the report

@Agnostic What kind of audio configuration do you require? Yes, you can render multiple webviews.

@dadaobjec t We currently have support for Unity 5.x and are evaluating support for Unity 4.6, I will follow up at the provided email address

There is a new uWebKit3 beta available on the download page, which pushes the beta expiration date out and features enhanced cookie support, including the DeleteCookies method: http://uwebkit.com/download/

- Josh

27. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

There's an updated beta available on the download page with greatly improved keyboard support, input lag fixes, and some performance tweaks: http://uwebkit.com/download/

- Josh

28. ianmacg

ianmacg

I'm on Windows 7 still, perhaps that's the issue. My full path was also a few directories longer. I'll upgrade to Windows 10 soon (it just got the drivers I need) and let you know if that's still an issue. I'm equally not a big Windows fan for reasons like this :)

29. ianmacg

ianmacg

Is there any way to set a different UWKConfig for each UWKWebView?

30. Nabren

Nabren

I am glad to see that uWebKit3 validates SSL certificates properly now! Is it possible to add a way for us to validate SSL certificates internally?

In C#, this is done through https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.net.security(v=vs.110).aspx with LocalCertificateSelectionCallback (selecting a certificate to send to the server) and RemoteCertificateValidationCallback (validating a certificate the server sent). With uWebKit3 being built on top of Chromium I am not sure what kind of challenges this would bring, but it would be a great feature!

Also just a note on the Windows path limits, MAX_PATH is still defined as 260 in Windows headers, so most Windows applications/processes will still have a limit of 260 characters (characters, not bytes).

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  31. Neron1

Neron1

Hello.
    I have a question. What to use instead UWKView.ContentSizeChanged in UWK 3 beta?

32. liamzhu

liamzhu

I use uwebkit3, but I can't input chinese on web page! Has anyone encountered this problem?:(

33. gjf

gjf

i'm trying to embed tinkercad into unity for an educational project (which works well), except that clicking on the 'download for printing' buttons, which usually downloads the model in an appropriate format, does nothing.

is this functionality allowed? if so, where does it hook into uwebkit or should it just work out of the box? where would it store the files? the intention is to create models in tinkercad, save as .obj then load them into the unity project.

thanks in advance. Screenshot 2016-05-31 14.15.25.png Screenshot 2016-05-31 14.15.25.png

34. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

@ianmacg The UWKConfig contains global settings which are used during initialization. Are you trying to set the web security per view? If so, this could probably be moved from the config to individual views

@Nabren I am not entirely sure what would be involved with validating the certificate locally. uWebKit3 is built on top of the Chromium Embedded Framework which may provide additional API

@Neron1 This is a convenience function that needs to be added, can you use a little JS to get the content size in the meantime? http://stackoverflow.com/a/3437825

@liamzhu IME input for uWebKit3 is important and we are working to bring parity with uWebKit2 in this regard, in the meantime can you use the key injection API to input Chinese via Unity's IME support?

@gjf The ability to download files would be a good addition. It is not currently supported and we can look at adding it. Very interesting use of uWebKit btw!

- Josh

gjf likes this.
  35. Vaernus

Vaernus

So we've been able to pair up uWebKit with Canvas by assigning the WebTexture output from the UWKWebView to the texture on RawImage on Start() and it seems to be working fine. We're also able to pair up the EventSystem in Canvas to properly align input with the UWKWebView's ProcessMouse call. The problems we're running into stem from sizing of the output website (for reference, we're navigating uWebKit to our game website at http://www.imaginenationsgame.com).

We currently do this during Start() to pair up the two systems:

Code (CSharp):
    1. _webView = GetComponent<UWKWebView>();
    2. _rawImage = GetComponent<RawImage>();
    3. _webView.SetSize(515, 320);
    4. _rawImage.texture = _webView.WebTexture;
    5. _webView.Show();

And we do get an output onto the RawImage but it seems like the mouse input is off by just a bit currently. This is the code pairing up input in Update():

Code (CSharp):
    1. if ((_webView == null) || !_webView.Visible()) return;
    3. var pointerEventData = new PointerEventData(EventSystem.current);
    4. pointerEventData.position = Input.mousePosition;
    6. var hits = new List<RaycastResult>();
    7. EventSystem.current.RaycastAll(pointerEventData, hits);
    9. if (hits.Count <= 0) return;
    11. foreach (var hit in hits)
    12. {
    13.      if (hit.gameObject.GetComponent<RawImage>() == null) continue;
    15.      var rawImage = hit.gameObject.GetComponent<RawImage>();
    16.      var corners = new Vector3[4];
    17.      rawImage.rectTransform.GetWorldCorners(corners);
    18.      var newRect = new Rect(corners[0], corners[2] - corners[0]);
    19.      var offset = new Vector2((pointerEventData.position.x - newRect.x) / newRect.width,(pointerEventData.position.y - newRect.y) / newRect.height);
    20.       var x = (int)(offset.x * newRect.width);
    21.       var y = newRect.height - (int)(offset.y * newRect.height);
    23.       var mousePos = new Vector3
    24.       {
    25.            x = x,
    26.            y = y
    27.       };
    28.       _webView.ProcessMouse(mousePos);
    29.       break;
    30. }
    The problem is we want the full webpage we're navigating to inside the RawImage bounds along with scroll bars as necessary (which the vertical scroll bar shows currently but cannot be interacted with, and the scroll wheel usage is opposite what you'd normally use in a browser but it does function). I've had to hard code it temporarily to the starting size of the RawImage's area as any other sizes seem to produce a very weird texture output (sometimes only taking up half the area of the RawImage).

How do we "create" a full view of the website in UWKWebView at an appropriate max resolution of 1920 x 1080, and apply that complete texture onto the RawImage complete with horizontal and vertical scrollbars as necessary (occurs to me that our UI designer may need to add the scroll bars on Canvas side, and that the scrolling issue is not uWebKit related so not as concerned about that)? Once solving that, would we be able to define a portion of the texture we'd want to be "scrolled" to that contains the news portion of our website? And finally, is there anything we're missing to line up the input to be pixel perfect to the UWKWebView as we're apparently just a bit off from what its expecting?

Thank you in advance for any input here as its the last piece of the puzzle for pairing multiple systems into Canvas for our UI.

36. liamzhu

liamzhu

thanks for your answer! i will have a try. btw, uWebKit2_p6 input is ok,But it seems not to play video. is that right?

37. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

Important Notice:

We have licensed and supported a Unity WebView for the last 5 years and greatly enjoyed the interaction and use cases provided by our clients. Unfortunately, development on uWebKit3 has been discontinued.

Please see http://www.uwebkit.com for additional information.

If you have licensed uWebKit3 and did not receive a notification, please contact sales@uwebkit.com

If you are using the expiring beta in a project, please contact sales@uwebkit.com to receive a non-expiring build to use until a solution can be found for your project.

If you need access to a previous version of uWebKit or have any other questions, please contact sales@uwebkit.com referencing your product key or receipt id.

We greatly appreciate the support of our clients and please understand that this was a very difficult decision.

Thank you.

- Josh Engebretson
    THUNDERBEAST GAMES LLC

38. byrd61bar

byrd61bar

I created a game object in the Unity Editor that contains a Quad mesh, a WebTexture, and a UWK Web View component. This renders a quad mesh in the unity editor environment that displays web content on the quad. This works fine.

The problem is when I build and run the Unity environment as a PC standalone executable, the web content doesn't display on the quad mesh. The web content only displays when I run the Unity environment within the Unity Editor by pressing the "Play" button and viewing the output on the "Game" tab.

How do I get the web content to display in the standalone executable? Do I need to set something in the build settings?

Thank you.

39. bdovaz

bdovaz

Whaaaaaaaaat???

You have announced one month ago the release of a completely rewritten major version (3) and now this?? I don't understand.

Also, I don't understand why you have removed github repository with all the information. If you don't want to work on it fine (although I don't understand) but let others work on this by open sourcing it (already was it) again.

Now users are with the problem that we have no alternative of releasing a web browser on Unity for desktop platforms and can't do it.

40. verveandfervor

verveandfervor

Man I needed this tool, discovered it existed today and that it has been discontinued, also today... ffffffff

41. PAEvenson

PAEvenson

Wow. I am very disappointed.

This was my fear after reading the article about Unity's new pricing tiers. I feel they have turned their backs on the indie developers that made Unity so successful.

Josh,

I completely understand and wish you and your team luck with your future endeavors. It is going to be very difficult finding a replacement for uWebkit. It was an amazing product and my company and I relied heavily on it. I may be contacting you soon about acquiring a source license. There are currently no alternatives available that come anywhere close to what uWebkit could do. It is truly a shame to see you go.

Thanks again,

-Paul

42. parkinje

parkinje

Hello, uwebkit team.

I am currently "uwebkit version 2" (1 seat) activation key with.

"uwebkit version 2" There are some questions to the purchase of additional.

1. If computer formats the "uwebkit version 2" activation key, check that already in use.

How can and then applying again?

2. "uwebkit version 2" activation key to buy some more?

What is the price if you're buying, and should authorize it in any way?

3. Do you have any permanent activation? to buy key

What is the price if you're buying, and should authorize it in any way?

4. "uwebkit version 2" activation key with exit will make him a server can check the?

How do I shall be certified if the end?

Be grateful if you could give a reply as soon as possible.

That's about it.

43. BeyondTemptation

BeyondTemptation

Hello all, has spmebody already found a decent alternative to this please?

44. MS80

MS80

45. SystemDevel

SystemDevel

Hi, I need to reactivate my uwebkit license, but sales@uwebkit.com it's not responding my emails.
    There are any other way to contact with uwebkit developers?

46. Mauri

Mauri

https://forum.unity.com/threads/dis...ebview-for-unity-5.193978/page-9#post-2662804

uWebKit has been discontinued back in 2016 in favor of a new game engine. The domain has been parked since then and that's why you don't get any reply. Try contacting Josh via his website or via ' contact [at] atomicgameengine [dot] com '.

47. grobonom

grobonom

And now what ?

This is one of the best reason i don't buy any asset:
    people make money from customers, and then go away living tied users behind without care of their requests or needs.

Is there anyone who found an open ( for duration in time ) solution for displaying web pages inside unity ?

Personally i found some, but all are dead projects.
    There also are some on the store but price makes laugh and the problem is the same as uwebkit.

This would really be a great thing that we could show webpages in U3D !

If anyone has an idea ?????

Happy unitying !

48. thylaxene

thylaxene

49. grobonom

grobonom

Hi @thylaxene :)

Thanks a lot for you answer !
    Yes i know this one ( i tried it ), and you're right it's not working on windows.
    As win is my dev platform this is a no-go for me :-/

the dumb i am thought that we could, in the 21st century, browse the web on all platforms with a same piece of code targetted to those platforms ( C++ code can be compiled for arduino or big blue ^^ )

it appears noone did this :/
    and as often i think that i'll have to ( if i need to browse the we in my app on win, lin, droid, ios, ps4, etc.... ) reinvent the wheel and cross compile some html engine modified for working with unity.....

I thought about blink ( but might be short on features ) or mebe the good old webkit that has been ported to legions of targets....

At last but not least, i repeat that it's a really big feature painfully missing in U3D.

Happy unitying :)