Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DISCONTINUED] uWebKit - Chromium WebView for Unity 5

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by uWebKit.com, Aug 1, 2013.

1. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

@ArenaAK: You should be able to set this resolution with uWebKit2. You can evaluate this using the package available here: http://uwebkit.com/download

uWebKit2 is a free upgrade for uWebKit 1.x users.

I would suggest using Direct3D11 on Windows for this resolution, however it should also work with Direct3D9. Please note that if you switching DirectX versions it is a good idea to restart Unity after the switch.

- Josh
    http://www.uwebkit.com

2. ArenAK

ArenAK

Is there a method or suggestion to show the flash if we need it?

Thanks.

3. unity1_igd

unity1_igd

Hey Josh,
    unity crashes and i get this error almost everytime i stop the application. I've tried in on 2 different systems resulting in the same error. Do you have any suggestions?

Unity Editor [version: Unity 4.5.1f3_73cd57f80e3e]

UWKPlugin.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module UWKPlugin.dll at 0023:6614742f.

Error occurred at 2014-11-14_153502.
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe, run by ihlenfeld.
    19% memory in use.
    0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
    0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
    0 MB user address space [3276 MB free].
    Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Context:
    EDI: 0x0028e6dc ESI: 0x16a25b18 EAX: 0x00000000
    EBX: 0x08fbbd90 ECX: 0xff413d91 EDX: 0x0028e574
    EIP: 0x6614742f EBP: 0x0028e598 SegCs: 0x00000023
    EFlags: 0x00010206 ESP: 0x0028e40c SegSs: 0x0000002b

- Marc

4. aiab_animech

aiab_animech

Hello uWebKit.com
    I am at a loss on which platforms can actually use uWebKit.
    On your homepage you state quite clearly that you support Windows and Mac standalone platforms, but in this thread you say "uWebKit supports iOS Basic and iOS Pro. There is a fully featured evaluation available via the website."

So does uWebKit work on iOS or not? If you do support iOS, why isn't that stated anywhere on your website? It's a great feature. Also it's a dealbreaker feature for me, since I mostly develop for iOS.

Edit:
    Ok reading this thread made it clear that uWebKit 2 doesn't support iOS, just like Coherent UI 2 doesn't support iOS. I find this decision very strange, personally. I think Unity Standalone Mac/Windows are used far less than Unity iOS. Unity Web might be used even more thought, but thats unrelated.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  5. LinQuestSMSA

LinQuestSMSA

"@Etrain: We are dropping support for the Flash plugin as it has stability and rendering issues we are unable to address."

Hi Josh,

Eek! I've been working with uWebKit2 20p3 now and so far it looks great with the exception of displaying .swf (Flex UIs or Flash videos), (Windows 7 64bit system. Unity Pro 4.5.4f.) It says that I need Flash Player 10.0.0 or greater. I can display the Flash content fine on workstation IE/FF/Chrome browsers.

Are we to assume that uWebKit does not and will not handle any embedded Adobe Flash? Or do I have something misconfigured? Not being able to handle flash content is a showstopper for us since we intend to interface to a lot of it (legacy UIs) for our users.

Thanks,
    Art

6. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

@unity1_igd: Do you happen to be switching between Direct3D9/11 when this happens? When switching renderers it is best to restart Unity

@ArenAK & @ArtHughes : The Flash plugin has stability issues and has been disabled. We have been unable to address the issues as they appear to be with the Flash Player NPAPI interface itself. I can add an override to force the plugin to load after testing the latest Flash version.

- Josh

7. LinQuestSMSA

LinQuestSMSA

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your reply and yes, anything you can do to enable Flash integration would be greatly appreciated. I'm with you on the Flash issues, but unfortunately, there are too many legacy web systems using flash tech right now for us to ignore.

As for non-Flash (and non-Vimeo) operation, the uWebKit is fantastic and you have done a great job with it.

Art

8. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Cool plugin, does this work on Iphone or Android mobile?

9. MalvinCo

MalvinCo

Hello! What about touch on webview? I'd like to make scrolling on page by touch on windows 8 touch device, is it possible?

10. unity1_igd

unity1_igd

I have Use_Direct3D_11 activated in the Player Settings and don't touch that. Disabling it and restarting Unity results in the same error.

- Marc

11. Muckel

Muckel

Hello,
    nobody here since longer time....
    hmmm should i buy it? But what happened if i have a question that needs a answer quick?
    Looks like there are not very interested to sell the plugin....

@ uWebKit.com Does it work on Windows Phone 8.1? Is touch supported?
    would be great to know.

thank you!

P.S. why is the Plugin not in the Asset Store?

12. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

I have just purchased this and I am trying to test the sample scenes in Unity 5 beta. Has this been tested in Unity 5 yet, because all of the scripts are not being referenced properly and therefore the sample scenes cannot be run. Also I am not sure how to activate my product. I have tried to follow the getting started page linked in the readme but since I can't build and run any scenes I am not sure what to do. Would appreciate some help please.

13. bkevelham

bkevelham

Close your project and reopen it again. Unity will detect the out-of-date scripts and will update them. After that it should work just fine.

Hamesh81 likes this.
  14. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

@Hamesh81: If you are still having issues with Unity 5, please try the updated package.

@Muckel & @rocki: Windows 32/64 bit and OSX 32/64 bit are the supported platforms

@MalvinCo: Touch should be easy to add if you can get the events in Unity

Hello,

We have published an update which addressed compatibility with Unity 5. The updated package is available from the download page:

http://uwebkit.com/download

- Josh

15. FuRy

FuRy

Anyone have an example of hosting webkit inside new gui system panel?

16. rahuxx

rahuxx

any example on loading local page from data folder of unity build?

17. unity1_igd

unity1_igd

Hey Josh,

my Project is still crashing whenever i stop the application.

It says:
    UWKPlugin.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module UWKPlugin.dll at 0023:5c1974bf.

Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

18. dryheat70

dryheat70

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void Start ()
    2.     {
    3.         view = gameObject.GetComponent<UWKWebView>();
    4.         Image theImage = null;
    5.         theImage = GetComponent<Image>();
    6.         if(theImage != null)
    7.         {
    8.             Sprite sprite = Sprite.Create(view.WebTexture,
    9.                                           new Rect(0, 0, 726.0f, 400.0f),
    10.                                           new Vector2(0.5f,0.5f),
    11.                                           1.0f);
    12.             theImage.sprite = sprite;
    14.         }
    15.     }
    Hi Josh, we're evaluating uWebView using the uWebKit2 demo with the goal of being able to render the html output image to say, an Image on a Panel in the new Unity uGUI?

I've tried setting the Image (child of Panel) component's Source Image sprite property to a sprite created referencing the UWKWebView.WebTexture, but no luck.. I assume there's some material etc. components missing that UWKWebView is expecting since it's just outputting a black texture when I write UWKWebView.WebTexture to file in the loadFinished handler). How would I go about doing something like this?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  19. schneidross

schneidross

Hi Josh,

I am currently trying to add a mouse cursor icon (first step would be a black dot or a black square) on top of the uWebKit texture. Being able to get the mouse cursor position within the application window ranging from (0,0) to (1280, 800), I want to transform it to a position of my webTexture, both in 2D (therefore, no raytracing from 3D space needed).

Is there a proper way to add such information (cursor icon, black square) to the webTexture of uWebKit? It would be much appreciated if you could point me in the right direction.

Best

20. lytamhoan

lytamhoan

How to clear WebGui data cache? by c# script and by hand
    Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  21. Knil

Knil

Any way to get the WebView's current scroll position? I see that I can manually set the scroll position, but I don't see a way to get the current value.

Bugs:
    When watching a YouTube video that has an ad, that isn't skippable, the video will not properly play after the ad is finished.

Also, uWebKit seems to crash quite frequently even when not doing demanding tasks.

22. ccklokwerks

ccklokwerks

Hi,

I'm using uWebKit, and have got it playing nicely with NGUI (outputting texture to an NGUI texture, and transforming NGUI input and passing it in to the UWKWebView).

I've implemented my own Back and Forward buttons (because I have an existing UI system, I'm not just using the web browser) and I would like these buttons to be enabled/disabled based on whether or not the user actually has history, i.e. initially Back is disabled because there's no back history, if one then navigates to another page, Back would become enabled, and if one then hit Back, Forward would become enabled.)

However, there doesn't seem to be any way of querying UWKWebView for this, and looking at UWKPlugin.cs, it doesn't seem to have any way of querying the history either. Is it in fact possible, or impossible, at this point?

Thanks!

23. tom_burg

tom_burg

Hi

I need to scale planes for drawing the WebTexture on. Is there a simple and responsive way in scaling the browser window accordingly with the plane without recreating the texture2D every frame?

Thanks!

24. vladk

vladk

Working on a project, a youtube page with video on it plays on a texture - everything works for me. Client sees this error:

UWKProcess has timed out, sending kill
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)
    UWKPlugin:log(String, Int32) (at Assets/uWebKit/Internal/UWKPlugin.cs:30)
    UWKPlugin:UWK_Update()
    UWKCore:Update() (at Assets/uWebKit/Internal/UWKCore.cs:98)

Using Direct3D 9 and the flash and LAV filters are up to date.

Any suggestions?

25. alphakanal

alphakanal

Hi!

I found that nice plugin. But there's one special point to be cleared befor buying it or not:

Is it possible to use local-html-files to show up in unity - and much more important:
    how do i include them in the standalone application?

Thanks in advance :)

26. vladk

vladk

is that uWebKit guy even alive? His last response was F***ing 2 months ago!

27. ccklokwerks

ccklokwerks

The uWebKit website has an email link. You might want to contact him directly if he's not checking here.

alphakanal: I do know that you can load local html files.

Including them in the standalone application should be trivial. Just the same as any other Unity text resource.

28. alphakanal

alphakanal

Thank you for the answer. Good news - so what i need know: Do i need uWebKit to load local-html files or is it possible to show local HTML files with unity pro ? No fancy animated stuff - only Text and some Images.

29. ccklokwerks

ccklokwerks

No, you can't render HTML in Unity (Pro) by itself.

30. alphakanal

alphakanal

Argh..so i need a plugin.

Are any other good alternatives to uWebKit? Don't have to be free - it must be easy to work with.

31. Knil

Knil

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  32. Cascho01

Cascho01

My client got some virus alerts from Norton:

All files are in uwebkit-folder.
    Any comments?

33. SystemDevel

SystemDevel

Hi,

I need to pass a backspace event to UWKWebView when i press a key on a OnScreenKeyboard.

Any way to doit?

34. Wapice_JJ

Wapice_JJ

Hey!

I have used multiple uWebKit browsers a while in my Unity project. The problem is that UWKProcess.exe tends to crash when it reserves about 1gb of ram.
    Is it possible to give possibility for the process to use more ram or even better, can I start one UWKProcess.exe per browser object?

35. rahulkj

rahulkj

Hi Guys. We have purchased the uWebKit Pro version. I seem to be having some trouble with viewing pages with ActiveX controls on it on uWebKit. Is there some setting/parameter to allows us to enable/disable ActiveX controls on uWebKit?

36. thisislance

thisislance

Anyone know why videos on Facebook don't work with uwebkit? I'm on a Mac with Unity 5.

37. gchudeck

gchudeck

Getting access to the sound stream from uwebkit? Is there anyway to get this?

Thanks so much,
    Greg

38. VRguy77

VRguy77

OpenGL for Windows?

I am working with Unity 5 using Windows 7. It is important for me to work in OpenGl mode, bacause I have several issues with other Unity-plugins.

The WebTexture doens'nt show the browser content, there is no update. The Webtexture stays in its initial state. Is there a trick to turn the OpenGL-support on for Windows?

39. BarneyWilliams

BarneyWilliams

Hi,

We have bought uWebKit and generally it is doing a great job but on low spec machines the page I am trying to display often fails to load and the only output we get from UWK is

"UWKProcess has exited"

I did wonder if this was a timeout issue although from my hunting around the web it seems that is covered by another message. So I have two questions:

1. Where should I be looking to for further clues? Why is it being killed? As I said it feels like a time out issue as it occurs more frequently on a lower spec and at points where we are doing lots of processing - where when successful it takes noticeably longer to load.

2. Is there at least a way to catch this and inform the user gracefully? I haven't had much chance to investigate this option yet, perhaps even a rather crude timeout in my code based on loading progress?

Thanks,
    Barney

40. rationalsys

rationalsys

Hey,

I'm getting a ton of errors when I try to move StreamingAssets into any other folder in the Assets directory (we have a git submodule for all third party code). All the errors are 'duplicate plugin' errors. Is there any reason that StreamingAssets needs to be top level in the directory structure?

Thanks

41. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

On OpenGL under Windows: The OpenGL implementation is lightly tied to OSX IOSurfaces which allows a texture to be blitted extremely quickly across processes: https://github.com/uWebKit/uWebKit/blob/master/uWebKitNative/UWKCommon/uwk_renderer_gl.cpp#L169

Direct3D11 has a similar API that we use, however Direct3D9 uses a shared memory approach to transfer the texture data. It would be possible to adapt the OpenGL renderer to also work under Windows

On moving StreamingAssets: Unity requires StreamingAssets to be top level in the data path: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StreamingAssets.html

On process timeouts: There is a 25 second timeout when using the latest version of uWebKit (p6) available from the site. This is a pretty long time or the process to be non-responsive, when you say you are "doing a lot of processing" when this happens, can this processing be split up a bit on lower end machines?

- Josh

42. nurdymuny

nurdymuny

Attached Files:

43. uWebKit.com

uWebKit.com

44. DerrickBarra

DerrickBarra

Hi Josh, I've been messing around with uWebKit, and I noticed that youtube only seems to be able to play video at 360p quality (which is too low for my intentions). Do you know why youtube would only give uWebKit access to the low quality video streams only?

You can see this by going to any youtube video with an HD video, and trying to adjust it's video quality rate within any of the uWebKit demos.

45. shwa

shwa

What browser is the current version of uWebkit based on?
    Chromium?
    Is this the browser that will be used for future versions of UWK?

46. BriteMac

BriteMac

I am very interested/excited about this plug-in. In testing it though on Windows I found I was not able to play back YouTube videos. It would start but would return "An error occurred. Please try again later". Is this something that can be addressed?

Regardless of the answer--I am still in. :) I will be posting my order soon!

47. BriteMac

BriteMac

Oh.. any chance of getting this to work in a Unity target for Android? I would like to use this in a GearVR project I am working on.

48. Mistale

Mistale

We have bought two licenses of uWebKit, and are really happy with it so far!
    But we have two questions:

- Is it possible to recreate the webtexture manually, for example after a resize? Right now, the texture seems to be created at start with maxsize, and then only scaled depending on actual screensize. We need pixelperfect resolution for UI. Im aware that this will mean that we cant rely on using the texture elsewere in the scene (since it may get destroyed).

- Whats the most performance-friendly way of checking clickthrough? Using GetPixel on the webtexture and checking its alpha, adding a javascript handler sending the result to Unity each frame, or something else (something already in your API perhaps)?

49. rationalsys

rationalsys

Hi,

We are running into the issue that with multiple webviews in one scene, when we try to JSMessage one webview, all the webviews receive the message. This is an issue since we need to have multiple bing maps windows open and do different zooming/panning operations on each one. Is this a known issue? Any solutions?

thanks

50. ArenAK

ArenAK

I have a problem now:
    When I publish my Unity project, the uwebkit dlls seem not published along with the unity app. Do I have to copy those uwebkit dlls manually?

Thanks.