Search Unity

"Disconnecting is no longer implemented"

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Baste, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Baste

Baste

There's a neat feature in Unity where you can swap the script on a component, and keep all fields with the same name. I often use it to swap a base class for a child class. I tried to do it on a prefab variant, and that doesn't work. Here's it in action:

Bug.gif

It looks like everything's fine, but I'm actually attempting to disconnect the prefab. The error message is pretty anonymous:

upload_2019-4-5_11-39-7.png

... That's not very helpful! I also didn't notice it at first, and the prefab mode behaved as if nothing was wrong.

I understand what's going on, as I remember that in 2018.2 and earlier, swapping the script caused prefabs to become disconnected. So it's obvious that this shouldn't be supported. But unless I spot the error message, it looks like this feature is supported in prefab mode, until I leave and recognize that no changes were applied.

The error behavior should probably be the same as if you try to delete an object from the base prefab:
    upload_2019-4-5_11-41-46.png

Xarbrough, rentallscript and NeatWolf like this.
  2. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Thanks, can you please turn it in to a bug report. That makes it easier for us to track.

NeatWolf likes this.
  3. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

Plus one for this.

I use it a lot when switching between classes/subclasses, it was a neat way to keep the values of the serialised fields, and I miss it already :)

I can't reproduce it, tho, using the latest stable version hasn't occurred to me yet.

4. tarahugger

tarahugger

I'm getting this in 2019.3.0a8 at the moment, fixed a broken script and now it won't save/keep the new reference to the script or any of the values set. It also wont let me open the overrides dropdown for the parent prefab:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.PrefabOverridesTreeView.AddTreeViewItemRecursive (UnityEditor.IMGUI.Controls.TreeViewItem parentItem, UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue] prefabOverrideMap, UnityEditor.PrefabOverridesTreeView+IdSequence idSequence) (at <f68ca06da1c243afa30519f1c09ba13a>:0)

5. hashim

hashim

right click on the gameobject in the hierarchy, select "Open Prefab Asset". now you can add your modified script to the gameobject.

6. Zarkow

Zarkow

I am getting it in 2018.3.0f2, after purchasing and importing a UI-skin set.

7. choxmi

choxmi

I'm using 2018.3.6f1 and I fixed this issue by unpacking the prefab. Right click on the prefab and select unpack prefab.