Search Unity

Disciples Of The Storm Kickstarter to launch June 23rd

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SIP-Servo, Jun 9, 2015.

1. SIP-Servo

SIP-Servo

After talking things over the Storm Isle Productions team and with sage advice from others it has been decided the KS will launch June 23rd which will mean we will not be running the campaign and trying to compete scrabbling for coverage during E3 when the news will be flooded with news coming out of E3. The first week of a kickstarter are very important and it can make or break a projects chance of being funded and we will need all the coverage we can get from sites once we launch.. As of now everything is in place and the team is reaching out to media sites and those helping us with getting word out and doing news posting on prepping for the 23rd when we go live.

This spring we managed to gain enough votes on Steam greenlight to get our project greenlighted for release on steam once finished.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=294002132

http://www.disciplesofthestorm.stormisleproductions.com

Disciples Of The Storm is a spiritually inspired reboot of the gameplay style of the old Netstorm islands at war but under a new IP and game world but using the same fast paced gameplay mechanics of bridging, island capturing and offering up your enemies to the gods for rewards.

For further information we invite anyone interested to drop by our FB community group for sneak peeks of units and things we will be unveiling as we launch the kickstarter.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/DisciplesOfTheStorm

2. SIP-Servo

SIP-Servo

Hello all, I am Nathan from Storm Isle Productions our studio has been working on a Fantasy RTS called Disciples Of The Storm over the past year that is an inspired reboot of the classic gameplay style seen in the old RTS netstorm islands at war but set in a strictly new game world and IP that we have been creating with help from some of the team that worked on the old Netstorm.

Disciples Of The Storm (DOTS) is a unique, fast paced Real Time Strategy (RTS) game set in the fantasy world of Sonus where an ancient feud between the deities, known as Tempests, have torn the world apart leaving little more than raging storms below and skies filled with floating remnant of islands where the people of Sonus now live. The four factions of rain, wind, sun and thunder must battle to survive in this harsh climate gathering resources and gain favor from the Tempests.

Build your temples and workshops to unlock units to wage war on your enemies and capture and offer up enemy high priests to gain favor with the deities.

With a unique bridging mechanic system that allows players to deploy networks of bridges to link islands along with a multitude of unique faction unit types combining elements of Tower Defense meets active Tower Offense.

Features:

• New IP, New World Art: As a top-to-bottom concept reboot, Disciples of the Storm uses a new IP for long-term stability and to avoid confusion with the the old game NetStorm. Disciples of the Storm takes place in an entirely new world with redesigned units, spells and effects.

• The factions of the Tempest: DOTS features 4 playable factions with the factions of Wind, Rain, Thunder and Sun. With each side having close to 12 unit types each, along with faction neutral buildings that can be constructed.

• Fast Paced Game Play: Fast pace game play but easy to learn focuses on capturing and holding islands with control of paths through islands as vital to victory.

• Bridging system: DOTS features a custom unique bridging and placement system which allows placement of different bridge types allowing for construction of bridge networks to support both resource collection and expanding the battle front.

• Bridges not only act as pathway for resource collectors to move over the void of open air but also provide locations from which defense and attack units can be constructed off the end of bridge sections

• DOTS use of different static defense and attack units with the ability to be built linked off side of bridge ends allow for construction both on islands and out over the void of the sky. DOTS attack and defense units although static and do not move each have their own ability and power which gives a tower defense meets tower offense mode.

• Random Map Generation: DOTS feature on the fly map generation for both island generation in island shapes and with placement of islands and resources allowing for each multiplayer game to be unique.

• Multi-platform support: DOTS supports running on Windows, Linux and Mac.

- Easy to learn gameplay.
    - feature rich world with floating vine covered islands. ruined structures remnants from before the sundering that tore the land apart and cast the fragments to the skies.
    - competitive play in Multiplayer with ranking and score tracking.
    - carry over skills from game to game unlocked by players priest.
    - High Priests in funny hats!

Kickstarter
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/525138512/disciples-of-the-storm-rts

Follow us on:
    Twitter - @StormIsleProduc
    Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/groups/DisciplesOfTheStorm/
    Tumblr - https://www.tumblr.com/blog/stormisleproduction

http://www.disciplesofthestorm.stormisleproductions.com/
    http://www.stormisleproductions.com/

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey SIP-Servo
    This looks really cool. I enjoy RTS games though I'm more of a fantasy fan.

One thing I noticed on the KS page is you don't have a breakdown of what the funds will be used for. It seems a lot of campaigns are doing this recently for some reason. I personally want to know what the funds breakdown is going to be. I don't know why so many campaigns are doing this recently - I have a guess but I won't associate it with your campaign by mentioning it here.

The reason I look for this information is specifically to support a point of view which I think is valid.
    When asking for money from the community I think it's really important to see where all costs can be saved before asking for funds for development.

The one character shown in the video - the first showing of him is of mid/high resolution sculpt. This seems to be a little bit overkill for a RTS game where you don't get within 20 meters of any character - as far as I could tell from the video.
    Creating base resolution characters (5000-7000 polys) and generating normal maps from standard resolution grey scale maps is perfectly reasonable for this type of game - and would drastically increase the character productivity.

I know this isn't standard practice for character artists - (I'm one of them) and we all want to create high resolution sculpts for everything under the sun because generating normals from sculpts is more accurate than 2D grey scale images normal map generation. But at the resolution the characters will be on screen - that minute accuracy for normal generation is not needed. And all character artists will argue they can sculpt faster and retopo faster than creating the base resolution polygon model from scratch, but this is folly.

I know you mentioned expansions such as priest customization and clothing changes - but this sounds like one of those - extended funding goals which doesn't calculate into the base design of the game.

I hope your KS campaign is a success - this development looks really cool especially the island based environments.

With respect.

4. SIP-Servo

SIP-Servo

5. kittik

kittik

Really like your Kickstarter campaign. I will be looking to get inspiration from how you've presented yourselves when I too am at a stage to use Kickstarter for crowd sourcing. Love the graphics, I'll be following this thread. I really like RTS games and imagine I'll be buying it. The concept art you have used is beautiful.

As theANIMATOR2b says, you have not got a breakdown of funds. I would be reluctant to invest in something that has no breakdown (I want to know how I am funding you).

SIP-Servo and theANMATOR2b like this.
  6. SIP-Servo

SIP-Servo

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Animations evoke emotion and demeanor. Well done!

8. SIP-Servo

SIP-Servo

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/525138512/disciples-of-the-storm-rts/posts/1302398

Following the initial backing this morning, from our contact in the gaming industry, we have now picked up further backing from the folks at Tripwire Interactive, an older, established indie studio that has been following our team and progress for a while. They were impressed by the work we have done and stepped forward to show support for our new indie studio, Storm Isle Productions by funding our kickstarter, helping push us over $9,000.

kittik and theANMATOR2b like this.
  9. SIP-Servo

SIP-Servo

We did add a basic cost break down chart of what levels of funding were and where it will be going, following this we picked up backing from the folk at Tripwire that helped pitched in :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.