Search Unity

Bug Disabling OnScreenControl in Update breaks first click of UI Button

Discussion in 'Input System' started by angusbjones, Sep 14, 2021.

1. angusbjones

angusbjones

When an OnscreenControl (Joystick or Button) is enabled/disabled outside a UI event (such as during Update()) the next click of any UI button doesn't perform the click. This issue doesn't occur when the OnscreenControl is enabled/disabled through the event system immediately.
    I've submitted a bug report for this issue already which contains a basic scene to replicate it: https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1365070_blafnnpo280fj2o2

For our project, this bug is encountered when moving from a game scene that uses an OnscreenJoystick to a menu-scene/overlaid-pause-screen. Once in the menu-scene/pause-screen, the OnscreenJoystick has been disabled and the first click of any button only causes a focus capture on the button (even appearing as Selected in the EventSystem), the actual click event is only triggered from the second click onwards.
    All scene loads and in-scene transitions are performed using promises so being able to perform enables/disables outside the default UI event system is critical.

I wanted to add further detail and a workaround for anyone encountering the bug while waiting for it to be resolved who also don't have the simpler option of just performing the enable/disable within a UI EventSystem event:
    The issue appears to stem from the removal/addition of the OnscreenDevice from the InputSystem when the final/first OnscreenControl is removed/added during play.
    The bug can be worked around by adding an OnscreenControl (I've used a button) of zero size, with no visual component, bound to an unused ControlPath of the same device type as the OnscreenControl you're enabling/disabling (for instance, my real control I've bound to Gamepad->LeftStick and so my workaround control is also bound to a Gamepad control, Gamepad->LeftTrigger). This hidden, unused OnscreenControl needs to stay enabled across scenes so that the OnscreenDevice is never removed from the device list.