Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

VR Disable Head Tracking for Specific Cameras

Discussion in '5.1 Beta' started by TH-Interactive, Jun 5, 2015.

1. TH-Interactive

TH-Interactive

Hey all!
    Recently upgraded to beta 5.1 and I'm so impressed! Such a great improvement in workflow :)

We have several cameras, including GUI cameras which need to remain stationary children of the main camera which uses head tracking.

I looked in the docs provided (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GkSkKsjyl5NOvShN-jG_nmuTav6ckRWlJUt6LnO5b5o/edit?usp=sharing) and it meantions head locked objects, but doesn't include any info on how to achieve this.

So basically what I am asking is how to have a camera activated that doesn't get head tracked in any way? How do I define which cameras get head tracked and which ones don't?

Thanks!

2. jashan

jashan

I had suggested that they add a component which you'd have to add for a camera to become headtracked ... the SteamVR plugin does this and I think it's a much cleaner approach than just implicitly headtracking all cameras.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

One thing you could do is render those cameras into render textures. That would stop the from being headtracked.

Possibly, you could also put your GUI cameras right next to the main camera which should have the same effect as them not being headtracked (they are headtracked exactly the same as the main camera then).

3. TH-Interactive

TH-Interactive

Thanks Jashan,
    Yes that looks like what I'll have to do... Its a real shame there isn't a simple checkbox to disable head tracking in a camera or like you said add a component to enable head tracking...

In my case NGUI is not rendering correctly due to using a standard Camera component.
    Additionally I have multiple cameras for rendering certain characters, and parenting cameras simplifies so much - I'll have to write a component to copy the position/rotation of the parent camera into the child one I think.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

4. float

float

I saw that document too and think that needs to be addressed.
    I want to have full control over what the Player is able to do/see. It should be my decision if the tracking is active and what fov is used.

Think of a 2.5d game like "StreetFigther": The Player should not be able to look around. But still he gets a beautiful 3d expirience.

I tried to disable it with a parent obj, that gets the inverse of the Rotation-tracking, but thats not working very well.

Also, i did not see any hints of where i can get the info that is saved in the User Part of the Oculus Config Util. How can i access that?