Search Unity

Directory Not Found Exception when building local "Packed Assets" Player Content

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by patcarver, Mar 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patcarver

patcarver

Hey Bill,

I seem to be getting an error when trying to build player content to streaming assets. Could it be related to changing the path's according to the release instructions?

Here are my addressable settings.
    upload_2019-3-8_14-0-20.png

upload_2019-3-8_14-0-51.png

Code (CSharp):
    1. DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "Temp/com.unity.addressables/AssetBundles\packedassets_assets_fa_de_cassidysinglehandle_597lf-mpu.bundle" or "Assets/StreamingAssets/aa/WebGL \packedassets_assets_fa_de_cassidysinglehandle_597lf-mpu_3224b8fc6756ff3b102c7db123f508b7.bundle"
    2. System.IO.File.Copy (System.String sourceFileName, System.String destFileName, System.Boolean overwrite) (at <d7ac571ca2d04b2f981d0d886fa067cf>:0)
    3. UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.BuildScriptPackedMode.PostProcessBundles (UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetGroup assetGroup, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] bundles, UnityEditor.Build.Pipeline.Interfaces.IBundleBuildResults buildResult, UnityEditor.Build.Pipeline.Interfaces.IWriteData writeData, UnityEngine.AddressableAssets.Initialization.ResourceManagerRuntimeData runtimeData, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] locations) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@0.6.7-preview/Editor/Build/DataBuilders/BuildScriptPackedMode.cs:424)
    4. UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.DataBuilders.BuildScriptPackedMode.BuildData[TResult] (UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.IDataBuilderContext context) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@0.6.7-preview/Editor/Build/DataBuilders/BuildScriptPackedMode.cs:183)
    5. UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.AddressableAssetSettings.BuildPlayerContent () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@0.6.7-preview/Editor/Settings/AddressableAssetSettings.cs:1416)
    6. UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.GUI.AddressableAssetsSettingsGroupEditor.OnBuildPlayerData () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.addressables@0.6.7-preview/Editor/GUI/AddressableAssetsSettingsGroupEditor.cs:233)
    7. UnityEditor.GenericMenu.CatchMenu (System.Object userData, System.String[] options, System.Int32 selected) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/GenericMenu.cs:121)

CharBodman likes this.
  2. RecursiveFrog

RecursiveFrog

I had a similar error. I resolved it by manually deleting the addressable_asset_state.bin and all my addressable asset bundles, and starting a fresh build. I also had to restart the editor after all that.

3. patcarver

patcarver

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately it didn't work. Still hoping for some help w/ this.

4. patcarver

patcarver

Not sure what I did wrong here but after copying the addressable settings from a fresh project and re-setting up my groups everything works now. I'll keep this thread here in case anyone else comes across it. Thanks.

5. unity_bill

unity_bill

This feels like a case of Unity keeping some bad data around in the Library folder. If anyone gets a clean way to repro this, we'd be happy to look into it.

6. libra34567

libra34567

@unity_bill I also met the same situation, seems like, if the default platform is standalone, and you build player content in addressable, It will geenrate folder with Windows/addressable_asset_state.bin etc, everything is fine. but when you switch platform, and build player content, it will not generate one for WebGL, i fixed it by deleting library, AddressableAssetsData, as well as removing addressable pakacge and reimporting it. Not sure which one of them fix the problem tho

7. DarkVerse

DarkVerse

I am getting the same thing after updating from 0.6.8 to 0.7.5
    I have deleted everything in Library/com.unity.addressables removed all previous bundles and addressable_content_state.bin and removed everything in BuildCache and done a Clean/All.
    No luck, still getting part of directory path not found error. I have checked both paths in the message and all folders are there.
    I have seen something similar in the past where it is NOT beginning at the usual root folder, is there something funky going on with that perhaps?

Deleting all of Library did not work either.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  8. DarkVerse

DarkVerse

It appear that this is a manifestation of the 260 character limit on file path in windows - see https://forum.unity.com/threads/solved-directorynotfoundexception-with-different-packages.643297/

I checked and the resultant path after the attempted copy would be 264 characters. I am enabling long paths in windows and will see if that fixes it, otherwise I will map a drive letter as suggested in the above linked thread.

Update: I enabled long paths in Windows 10, rebooted and cleared all caches but that made no difference. I moved the Unity project to a folder with a shorter path (ie closer to root) and that did work. In my case it was definitely the path length problem but it was not sufficient to turn on long paths, presumably Unity itself is truncating the path to 260 characters.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    pahe4retro likes this.
  9. brgishy

brgishy

I too am hitting this bug and it's extremely debilitating. I was able to fix this bug in the Addressables code by using the UnityEditor.FileUtil class instead of the normal System.IO.File and System.IO.Directory classes.

com.unity.addressables@0.8.0-preview\Editor\Build\DirectoryUtility.cs
    Replace line 39
    file.CopyTo(temppath, true);
    with
    UnityEditor.FileUtil.ReplaceFile(file.FullName, temppath);

com.unity.addressables@0.8.0-preview\Editor\Build\DataBuilders\BuildScriptPackedMode.cs
    Replace line 557
    File.Copy(Path.Combine(assetGroup.Settings.buildSettings.bundleBuildPath, originalBundleName), targetPath, true);
    with
    UnityEditor.FileUtil.CopyFileOrDirectory(Path.Combine(assetGroup.Settings.buildSettings.bundleBuildPath, originalBundleName), targetPath);

com.unity.addressables@0.8.0-preview\Editor\Settings\AddressableAssetSettings.cs
    Replace line 1606
    Directory.Delete(Addressables.BuildPath, true);
    with
    UnityEditor.FileUtil.DeleteFileOrDirectory(Addressables.BuildPath);

By making the above three changes I was able to get "Build Player Content" working again, but the build still fails in "C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/FileUtil.cs" which is using System.IO classes instead of the UnityEdtior.FileUtil class as well.

@unity_bill, is it possible to update Addressables and the build system to use UnityEditor.FiltUtil instead of the normal System.IO classes?

10. unity_bill

unity_bill

I'm not sure. we'll look into it.

pahe4retro and brgishy like this.
  11. FindYourFun

FindYourFun

Hi,
    We are running into this issue as well - we are using Unity 2019.1.0f2
    @unity_bill did you have a chance to look into it ?

12. Greyborn

Greyborn

Found this thread because we are having a similar issue where it looks to be exceeding the OS' path character limit.

The Addressable system adds a TON of extra characters to the entry's output name/path. A workaround for now is to manually rename the entry to remove some/all of the extra path text included in the default name it gives (or just right-click the entry and choose "Simplify Entry Names") so the resulting paths and file names are shorter.

On a related note/request - it would be nice if the "Simplify Entry Names" feature would optionally allow us to keep the file's extension in the name so it is easier to tell at a glance if it's a material, texture, prefab, scene file etc. The little type icons isn't the most effective way to get that type information quickly.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Haagndaaz and Noisecrime like this.
  13. MagicDesignEmerick

MagicDesignEmerick

@unity_bill I ran into the same issue, and ttried with 1.1.7 to set bundle name to Only Hash but either I'm missing something or it doesn't seem to work :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. FileNotFoundException: Library/BuildCache/2b/2bd5b19c5677a7c8efa3723b7b6cb244/c15d5414109e80c896dbbb7747937356/anim_data-lizard_anim_swordandshield_skeletondata_animdata_assets_lizard_anim_swordandshield_skeletondata_animdata.bundle does not exist
    It clearly uses the name here, and I see that also during the progressbar dialog, each bundle name is using the name of the asset (though it might be just to be clearer).

Moreover, simplifying entries doesn't seem to fix the filename issue for me, I had to rename the AssetGroup name.

14. xLeo

xLeo

"Simplify Entry Names" workaround "fixed" the issue for us.
    We have also tried to configure Windows to handle long paths but that didn't work out... :(

15. dnnkeeper

dnnkeeper

Here I wrote a custom analyze rule for shortening long addresses by omitting path in addresses that longer than 64 characters:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEditor;
    4. using UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.GUI;
    5. using UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings;
    6. using UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Settings.GroupSchemas;
    7. using UnityEngine;
    8. public class AddressNameShortener : UnityEditor.AddressableAssets.Build.AnalyzeRules.AnalyzeRule
    9. {
    10.     public override bool CanFix
    11.     {
    12.         get { return true; }
    13.         set { }
    14.     }
    16.     public override string ruleName
    17.     {
    18.         get { return "Ensure all addresses are short"; }
    19.     }
    21.     List<AnalyzeResult> tooLongNamesResult;
    23.     [SerializeField]
    24.     internal HashSet<string> tooLongNamedAssetsGUIDs;
    26.     public override List<AnalyzeResult> RefreshAnalysis(AddressableAssetSettings settings)
    27.     {
    28.         ClearAnalysis();
    29.         tooLongNamedAssetsGUIDs = new HashSet<string>();
    30.         tooLongNamesResult = new List<AnalyzeResult>();
    31.         foreach (var group in settings.groups)
    32.         {
    33.             if (group.HasSchema<PlayerDataGroupSchema>())
    34.                 continue;
    36.             foreach (var e in group.entries)
    37.             {
    38.                 if (e.address.Length > 64)
    39.                 {
    40.                     tooLongNamesResult.Add(new AnalyzeResult { resultName = group.Name + kDelimiter + e.address, severity = MessageType.Error });
    41.                     tooLongNamedAssetsGUIDs.Add(e.guid);
    42.                 }
    43.             }
    44.         }
    46.         if (tooLongNamesResult.Count == 0)
    47.             tooLongNamesResult.Add(new AnalyzeResult { resultName = ruleName + " - No issues found." });
    49.         return tooLongNamesResult;
    50.     }
    52.     public override void FixIssues(AddressableAssetSettings settings)
    53.     {
    54.         if (tooLongNamesResult == null)
    55.             RefreshAnalysis(settings);
    57.         if (tooLongNamesResult.Count == 0)
    58.             return;
    60.         foreach (var assetGuid in tooLongNamedAssetsGUIDs)
    61.         {
    62.             var entry = settings.FindAssetEntry( assetGuid );
    63.             int LastIndex = entry.address.LastIndexOf('/')+1;
    64.             string assetName = entry.address.Substring(LastIndex, entry.address.Length-LastIndex);
    65.             entry.address = assetName;
    66.         }
    67.     }
    68. }
    71. [InitializeOnLoad]
    72. class RegisterAddressNameShortener
    73. {
    74.     static RegisterAddressNameShortener()
    75.     {
    76.         AnalyzeWindow.RegisterNewRule<AddressNameShortener>();
    77.     }
    78. }

Noisecrime, pahe4retro and unity_bill like this.
  16. hatamoto77

hatamoto77

Just stumbled upon this thread because using the new ARImageReferenceLibrary is throwing this exception...

But is using a lib like ZetaLongPath, Delimon an option for this in Unity? I used it in my Windows projects (not 3D) when that error arises. It offers replacements for File / Directory classes that do not throw that pathtoolong exception.
    Would be great if we do not have to worry about those 80's errors :)

In case you want to have a look, Zeta can be found on github:
    https://github.com/UweKeim/ZetaLongPaths

Delimon on MS Technet gallery:
    https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/DelimonWin32IO-Library-V40-7ff6b16c

trnq1ll0 likes this.
  17. Freddy-K

Freddy-K

We've just encountered this issue.

I would consider shortening paths a viable solution, however Addressables uses assetnames to create bundle hashes, which combined with pack assets separately mode creates a lot of duplicate hashes and hence fails to build.

BuildScriptPackedMode.cs (Addressables 1.7.5)
    upload_2020-5-11_11-59-11.png

In the code below, you can see that if 'assetBundleName' is duplicate, it will add a number at the end of it to make it unique, but I believe this is only correctly applied in "pack together" bundle mode. When "pack separately" is selected the code does not work as intended and throws on line 416 with dictionary Argument exception - duplicate key.

18. Wothanar

Wothanar

Come one where is the solution to this? i come to use addressables becouse the uma creator send me to use it coz it recommend it but this bug show up now and i dont have idea of what to do... i just cant believe how a stuff like this can just ruin my entire day... this must to be fixed soon please im really sad about this now im stuck and my customer its waiting for me end up with his game and now i cant move one so sad :(

19. drallcom3

drallcom3

I had the problem too. The default names are just too long. Either rename or use the simplify function.

20. inkletom

inkletom

This is still a common problem on 1.8.3

21. ItsTwelveOclock

ItsTwelveOclock

I've been able to get past this awful bug by creating new addressable groups for any of the groups that throw this exception. However, it seems I have to do this every time after pulling a modification to the addressable setup from source control.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.