Search Unity

Directional Lights Do Not Work with light baking / Beast?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by RedVonix, Jan 7, 2015.

1. RedVonix

RedVonix

I'm working on light baking scenes, however I'm finding that any and all lights that are directional refuse to show up in the bakes. To make this stranger, if a light was originally created as a directional light, then had its Type changed to Point, it also will not show up in the bake. Point lights created initially as point lights however will show up in bakes just fine.

I'm a little unsure where to start here, so my first question would be - what would cause directional lights to never bake properly?

2. maxwelldoggums

maxwelldoggums

Whenever I'm having issues with lightmapping, I run through this checklist...
    1. Do all of the shaders you're using support lightmaps?
    2. Do you have your receiving geometry marked as static? (only static geometry can have baked lighting)
    3. Do your lights have shadows enabled? (Lightmapping will still work, it'll just be harder to see.)
    4. Do your receiving objects have a second UV channel for lightmaps? (You can enable auto-generation in the import settings)
    5. Is your lightmap resolution high enough? (Sometimes, if the resolution is too low, it just comes out as a gray blur)

Hope that helps!
    -Andrew

3. RedVonix

RedVonix

1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Yes (All shadows and lights look perfect - except for directional, they simply aren't even included in the baking process).

4. RedVonix

RedVonix

Got it. I had Shadow Radius set to 0. Apparently when set to 0 directional lights don't look like anything, so I cranked it up and looks much better now.

Thanks!

5. maxwelldoggums

maxwelldoggums

Ahh, weird! I never knew that!! Thanks for looking into it!

6. aronvirgo

aronvirgo

Hi! Where did you change the Shadow Radius???

7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Beast is no longer part of Unity. Start a new thread and state your issue.