Search Unity

Directional lightmapping + light probes does not work well with dynamic objects

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AlecMoody, Mar 21, 2013.

1. AlecMoody

AlecMoody

Our game is is mostly seen from something like an RTS camera view. Dual lightmaps are not a reasonable option for this perspective since the user doesn't move through the world the way they would in a first person shooter. Directional lightmaps have been working well except when it comes to integrating dynamic/animated objects. My hacky solution to make self shadowing, specular, and normal maps work is to set a solid ambient color after I bake (using a skylight for scene lighting) and then remembering to turn it off before every rebake. This doesn't look particularly good since solid ambient doesn't take into account any reflected light and with our static objects the bounce light is a big part of the lighting contribution. Is there any way to get light probes that functioned the same as in duel lightmap mode? I want my lightprobes to just contain indirect light and I want that contribution to replace the ambient light information in the shader but still allow for all the dynamic lighting ontop. Is there any way to achieve this?

Oh, and I'm on the latest build of unity pro.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013