Search Unity

Directional Lighting Chunk Size?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by AnimusRex, Oct 1, 2019.

1. AnimusRex

AnimusRex

I'm using Gaia and I have an issue with the lighting system in that it lights up the terrain in large chunks.

For example, at one angle;
    upload_2019-9-30_17-44-5.png

But then when I move slightly closer, it lights up;
    upload_2019-9-30_17-44-29.png

Note the darkened area on the right side..

I'm not sure what's causing this or how to solve it.

Here's my current light settings:
    upload_2019-9-30_17-45-34.png

Any advice appreciated, cheers.

2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

This looks like a smoothing issue. Try creating a terrain using Unity's terrain tools and see if you have the same issue. Also, make sure that you have scene lighting enabled (light bulb icon over the Scene viewport).

3. AnimusRex

AnimusRex

The scene lighting is enabled; I expect it's some kind of issue with polyworld as it renders the world in chunks, and it looks to be lighting up those square chunks. I just want to know how to fix it.

4. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Wasn't the entire point of Polyworld assets to convey this low poly aesthetic? If that's the case, then the result you are seeing is expected. Otherwise, you can import those meshes into a DCC package, and apply custom smoothing to them.

5. AnimusRex

AnimusRex

A low poly aesthetic is the actual terrain itself.. Not massive differences in brightness across planes of roughly the same angle.

6. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

I just took another look at the screenshots you've provided. Sorry, I did not see the lighting seam initially.

Could you test whether or not this issue reproduces in Deferred rendering path? You can force deferred rendering per-camera basis, or enable it in the Project Settings.

Also, it would be interesting to know if this reproduces with a default Unity terrain. Create a new terrain, sculpt some simple hills, and see if the issue reproduces.

7. AnimusRex

AnimusRex

I think I had already fixed it; some other day-night tutorials also insisted upon the deferred rendering path, and it hasn't been an issue since then.

I don't think it was an issue with the default Unity terrain, seemed to have something to do with LOD with polyworld perhaps.