Search Unity

Direct Access To ComputeBuffer

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by texone, Feb 4, 2020.

1. texone

texone

1. Is it possible to directly read the attribute buffers in a script. I would like to use vfx graph to do physarum like animations that would require to render particles into a render texture to create density maps that I would feed back into vfx graph.

2. Related to one but other use case: I used vfx graph to patch led animations. I would like to get the color values to be able to send them using artnet.

seldemirov likes this.
  2. PaulDemeulenaere

PaulDemeulenaere

Unity Technologies

We haven't a simple solution yet but we have already plans to provide this kind a feature in a later version. Cellular automata model are really powerful in Visual Effect production. With 2019.3, I can suggest you to use a Custom Render Texture to resolve your physarum simulation (with a ping/pong approach to be able to read the neighborhood pixels status) .

In a mid term (the 2020 cycle), we will add an output event feature to simply retrieve any event attributes coming from a spawn context, it can be used to synchronize sound or other integration like artnet. The readback of an attribute only stored and modified on the GPU is also something we are considering.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    seldemirov and _slash_ like this.