Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Dino Dare: Maker

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ZebecGames, Nov 7, 2018.

1. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

I am pleased to announce the global release of Dino Dare for iOS and Android!

The Game

Dino Dare is best described as a 2D physics platformer and level creator. Like similar games it can also take on some traits of other genres, especially puzzle games. That is because of one of the main features - user level creation. It is up to the creator what kind of level they want to make. I like to make challenging games and I believe this game to be frustrating but fun/silly at the same time. I don't want anyone throwing their phones in anger so I tried to balance it out with a light and friendly theme.

As with my previous game, I plan to make several feature updates in a relatively short amount of time and support critical issues as long as I can. If you want to see something in a future update (skin/object/tool) please let me know if whatever way is most convenient to you. I do my best to check all of my social media accounts, reviews, and emails daily.

For the near future my priorities are:
    1. Adding global and local leaderboards.
    2. Adding the "Dino Rush Challenge" - 20 attempts at 10 user levels.
    3. Progression system - better gating of content and free rewards!

If the game takes off I have some BIG ideas that I want to add but we'll have to wait and see.

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/XXSzF9H

Download Now!

Backstory

Dino Dare is a very old idea I've had since the smartphone first became popular. I purchased an iPhone 3G in 2008 to get into mobile game development and converted an old Pentium 4 PC into a hackintosh. At the time I was just starting my Computer Science degree. None of it went very well - especially since I did not have a true mac to develop on.

The game was put on the back burner several times but I revisited it just about every year. The first prototype was made using Cocos2D. I would port the prototype to several engines over the years before I settled on Unity in 2012 or so. Many years had passed since then and my life was very different so Dino Dare was put on the shelf again and again. I redid the art for the entire game about 4 times and the character art another 2-3 times on top of that.

In 2014, I decided to take another prototype to market: Geometry Defense. This game was born out of a game I made while in college using XNA: Pocket TD. While Pocket TD was never seen outside of a class presentation I was convinced that Geometry Defense would make it. Since I thought a tower defense was easier to make I pushed forward with it instead of Dino Dare and launched it in 2016/2017. GD did OK in terms of usage/downloads but I LOST a ton of time and money on it. I did learn a lot especially about the infrastructure and business of it all. I am still dealing with the repercussions of that failure though and will be for a long time.

With all that being said, I am glad to see Dino Dare finally making it out. I don't know if it will get the attention I feel it deserves or that the effort will be worth it but something made me push forward despite my concerns - perhaps I couldn't leave it unfinished after so many hours.

As always, thanks for your time and support! Please don't forget to give me feedback!
    - Jacob