Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Digitalize indoor environment

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by mwm93, Mar 29, 2023.

1. mwm93

mwm93

Hello,

i want to digitalize an (partially fictive, containing stairs and multiple stories) indoor environment, where i have the plans for it with data in meters.

Now i want to build it as a world in unity. I also want to say that i don't have a background in game development, i only want to do this project now, and as far as it is possible, without learning a lot about unity technically. So it would be good, if you could recommend some tutorials that allow to do this.

If it is possible, it would be good if i could do it the following:

- write the plan i want to build in a human readable txt or xml file

- convert it with a plugin into a unity world

- put textures on it

Than i would have a world with a hero to walk around in it, i would than like the hero to find treasures, open doors and talk to characters like ghosts etc, that ask him riddle questions, and where he can choose which answer is right.

What would be the easiest and fastest way to implement such a scenario in unity? It should than be a first-person 3d game, but does not need to have a good high quality, instead it would be great if it was possible to export it to WebGL.

Can someone recommend some tutorials that can help me? Thanks in advance.

2. mgear

mgear

Not really simple task..

if you are in a hurry and no time to learn, best option would be to hire freelancer:
    https://forum.unity.com/forums/commercial-job-offering.49/
    or other sites like upwork.com

if you want to test something yourself,
    - make ascii txt 2d map loader that places walls on # characters (and other prefabs for different ascii characters)
    - check asset store for procedural room or dungeon generators, this one loads json files for rooms apparently https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...igner-realtime-procedural-rooms-editor-197077

for tutorials,
    check unity procedural dungeon or level generators

3. mwm93

mwm93

Thank you for your answer.

The thing i'm looking for is: i want to make a game, which shows floors, rooms, etc.

Therefore i want to say: this room is a x b x c meters, on d meters there's a door, than there's another floor with e x f x g meters ... And i want to design this not by drawing it with mouse, but with inserting the data into unity or a plugin and use it as a world in unity to navigate in. Than i want to add textures to it and than script it.

Back in the days, there used to be the Tomb Raider Level Editor, i'm looking for a solution similiar to it. Does anyone know a way how this can be done relatively easily?

4. mgear

mgear