Search Unity

DIGGER - Caves & overhangs for Unity terrains

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amandin-E, Dec 25, 2018.

1. vamosfa

vamosfa

Hi, did you managed to export it properly to any 3D software? I tried lot of configurations to import it to Blender and always is a disordered mesh.

2. joemar_sp

joemar_sp

when I tried to convert the terrain to mesh..the hole I made disappears is there way to export the terrain with digger to mesh?

3. TikabVR

TikabVR

Is source code included with the Pro asset store package? If not, is there an option to license the source? Thanks!

4. KeithBrown

KeithBrown

When you go to the asset store and look at the package contents, all of the source code appears to be there.

Amandin-E likes this.
  5. TikabVR

TikabVR

I wasn't sure if the store lists all files or just certain types. It was the "NativeCollections" folder that prompted me to ask the question. It seems to contain nothing more than a definition and some helper scripts, but that may not be the full story.
    Anyone know for sure - or even better, perhaps there will be an official reply? :)

6. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

@TikabVR Yes, the source code is fully included ;)

TikabVR and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  7. TikabVR

TikabVR

Thanks! And is the code commented as well? ;)
    Asking as I have learnt the hard way the need for source and comments if/when things change or need optimising in a way that is not supported by the author. Or if the author gets abducted by aliens. ;)

8. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

how well does it work with a tesselation shader? any tear?

9. atom_foundry

atom_foundry

A previous comment mentioned that MegaSplat integration should be easier than MicroSplat. Now the asset store listing shows MicroSplat integration. Does that mean MegaSplat is also supported? If not, are there plans to support it in the near future?

10. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

[SOLVED]

I just needed to start simple and build back up. Digger and Microsplat integration is working well.

Painting on top of procedural terrains is not something I have figured out, but that is really a different thread. I will see if I can get that going before seeking help.

--- Original Thread ---

I found the procedural terrain tool and that is working well. It automatically repaints the terrain as you make height adjustments, which MapMagic wasn't doing.

Digger tools are still not showing up. I will try to find time to make a new project and see if I can identify the issue.

Hi - I have the Microsplat collection and purchased digger (not pro), but Digger is not showing up in the tools menu? Unity 2019.4

I made a new scene and opened the Digger Example and I still didn't see options under tools. I am using ProBuilder, MapMagic (although not for the Digger Example Test, but it is installed) - Aura, and Fog Volume. (No errors being thrown)

What I am trying to accomplish is procedurally generated terrains, where I can paint holes, that work across tiled terrains. I also own MegaSplat, and used to do procedural texturing there, but I like MapMagic and the integration with Microsplat was pretty good.

The terrains from map magic can be edited after generation, but no luck editing Microsplat textures on that. I read about a mask workflow that I am thinking about investigating.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish these things with the tools are appreciated!
    1) Procedural terrain and slope / heigh based textures
    2) Multiple terrain tiles
    3) Holes (not caves)
    4) Glitter, Trax
    5) Low Poly
    6) Ability to sculpt and paint terrains after procedural generation

Infinite terrains is interesting, but I could probably live without MapMagic.

TY!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  11. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

Digger won't work fully with a Tesselation shader. AFAIK, MicroSplat tesselation can be enabled on the terrain even if Digger is used, but tesselation will be seamlessly disable near Digger meshes.

MegaSplat integration is not planed as MicroSplat is officially supported and is generally a more powerful shader than MegaSplat.

Good to hear you fixed your issue :)

Mark_01 likes this.
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I would love to use this but the only problem is I don't have enough money... Well... Maybe later

13. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

Hi there, just so you know, Digger PRO 2.5.1 is pending for review. It includes the fix for persistence at runtime.
    Hope you'll enjoy!

Mark_01 likes this.
  14. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

15. Taratus

Taratus

Hello, I like your asset, but is it performance friendly enough for a mobile approach? I cannot see the a mesh LOD change by getting more distant to the caves. It would be great if the mesh LOD would change depending on the pixel error of the terrain and gets similarly reduced in vertex count. Will that be possible?

16. MythicalCity

MythicalCity

I'm getting the same effect on the demo scene included with digger pro. At runtime when I dig, other parts of the map have squares holes missing in the texture. I have tried pressing Sync with Terrain & Refresh button and made sure both the terrain and the child Digger object are at 0,0,0. I made sure to press Setup Terrains and Setup for Runtime before I started.

17. Remerezwolf

Remerezwolf

Hi there

Love the product and its ease of use, fully recommend it. My only issue is that recently the terrain around each cave entrance has turned see through in a mostly square shape, I can still walk on the terrain without falling through but it is clear and I can't seem to paint it in. Any suggestions?

18. MonkeyPuzzle

MonkeyPuzzle

Hi I upgraded Digger, now all of my caves etc. are note rendering, just transparent. Any thoughts on how to resolve is appreciated.

Using Microsplat integration. Looking at some other projects and the digger sections are showing but are brightly colored like they are self-illuminating or something.

19. Lilgrinde

Lilgrinde

im still having that issue, i bought the asset yesterday and it is amazing other than the hole bug, is there something i missed or is the bug back?

Attached Files:

20. Lilgrinde

Lilgrinde

the problem occurs when i use the smooth brush over terrain edges, those hideous lines appear through my terrain, please write back it's a glaring issue and i just spent half of my money on the asset

21. Banksy

Banksy

Are there any video tutorials on using Digger Pro ?
    All I see on Youtube are user demos or reviews.

I'd like to learn how to raycast from a wand to dig holes and then have 3rd person character run through the hole.

Similar to this video... but it sounds Russian .. This is the only known Digger Tutorial (how bad is that )

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  22. ChrisSchoe

ChrisSchoe

Hello,
    I saw this issue on page 3 of this thread but because I have a rather new version of digger (downloaded this year) I thought this should be fixed by now.

But the problem is that adding digger to the terrain changes the appearance of my rocky wall textures dramatically. So basically I can't use digger if I don't want a blurry mountain..
    I kind of fixed that by going to the terrain and selecting the terrain standard shader again (which was replaced by the digger-cuttable tripanar shader). But then there is an obvious transition between the areas edited by digger and the "normal" terrain.
    Is there a way to add digger to the scene and use the terrain textures with a shader that doens't blur that much?
    (I can sent screenshots if needed)

And a second thing is, that I noticed that diggers paint tool cannot paint on the normal terrain but only after it has been modified by diggers add or dig tool. But that is not that important for me right now..

Kind regards and hoping for help :)

23. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

Hi, thanks for reporting this! Can you provide some screenshots and give all the details of the terrain layer?

24. kspeeder

kspeeder

hello,
    i set up digger for the first time just now, and my terrain can't be seen when zoomed in. it only appears when i zoom out the camera, like its getting culled. i've tried disabling the global illumination checkbox and also importing the hdrp shaders, as well as going to an empty scene with a new terrain.

is there a fix for this?

25. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

Hi, it looks like their is compatibility issue with latest HDRP version. I'm on it.

26. gurbrindersingh

gurbrindersingh

Hi @Amandin-E
    I noticed meshes created by Digger consumes too much space in the apk. Also, I can't combine digger meshes to the terrain using any tool to save on the performance on mobile devices. Do you have suggestions, tips to combine the meshes into one or if the tool can do this already in some way?
    As you know shrinking apk size and squeezing performance is always a high priority for devs on mobile devices, I couldn't find a way to combine the meshes with terrain to save on performance and exporting a mesh to tool of choice for any type of editing when using Digger.

Your kind response over the above concern will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
    Gurbrinder Singh

27. Amandin-E

Amandin-E

Digger does not provide any mesh combiner, however you should be able to find good mesh combiners on the Asset Store.

Don't try to combine Digger meshes with the terrain. Instead, try to combine Digger meshes together and then run a mesh simplifier (to reduce vertex count) on the combined mesh. Digger provides a way to export its meshes into .asset files (use the button "Save meshes as assets")... I hope this can help.

28. gurbrindersingh

gurbrindersingh

Thanks for the reply. Actually I have tried lots of tools for combining digger meshes from the scene. Sadly, each time I combine meshes, they turn white and textures don't work with the combined mesh for digger. I am using same tools to combine other meshes in the scene and they work flawlessly with other meshes but failing with digger meshes. :(

Any suggestion in terms of mesh combine tool that works with digger created caves will be really helpful.