Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games Dig It- Archaeology exploring game - [WIP and Steam]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by khos, Mar 21, 2017.

1. khos

khos

Hi

Update: Removed the greenlight link (which is not used anymore).
    Now plucked up the courage and posted this on steam as coming soon, link to store page: https://store.steampowered.com/app/724630/ArchaeologyX/

I'd love to hear of your thoughts on a game I'm making, I'm calling it "Archaeology X" which is meant to be an archaeology exploring type game.
    You use your notebook to get clues on where to dig to find for old treasures/relics.
    Currently I'm working on an Egypt level, but plan quite a few others.

Features multiple locations to explore/dig, drive to those if you want.
    Simulate digging with some effects, anywhere is diggable. I still plan to make digging animations for the player.
    You tape
    off dig areas for keeping records, photos
    Open Notebook with turnable pages
    Keep Inventory of found treasures, sell to museums or other places
    Lots more to come.. I have some (what I think) great ideas for the game, areas to explore/clues to understand.

Hi, I would appreciate your input on this trailer I am putting together, does it look ok or interesting to you?
    Feedback would be most welcome:
    [UPDATED]

[UPDATED]
    Some images: 6.JPG 7.JPG 12.JPG 13.jpg 14.jpg 6.JPG

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. khos

khos

Some more screens
    6.png 7.png 8.png 9.png 10.png

Baldinoboy and eaque like this.
  3. virror

virror

Im all for it! : )
    Been toying with the idea in my mind as well to make a vr archaeology game, since im very interested in that stuff.

4. khos

khos

Thanks for looking! What do you think of my efforts so far, what can improve or can change? e.g. Improve Graphics, more grass etc? I'd like to hear your thoughts or comments if possible, or is that difficult to access before playing?

I think I have the basic mechanics sorted already, now just work on adding all the content.
    I like you am very interested in this topic.
    There are so many amazing mysteries/history stories that can be told.
    I'm not sold on the idea yet if this kind of gene will work with VR, need to try that at some stage, lucky I have a headset to test with, and that Unity makes it reasonably easy to create VR compatible games, whohoo :)

5. virror

virror

I think the assets are fine. Assets is always a work in progress and i dont think it should be a big focus for this kind of game. Better to put the energy into the basic game mechanics. Is 100% free roam or will there be any backstory?
    Some ideas that comes to mind:
    -Museum you can visit that displays your findings
    -Some kind of system for "selling" artifacts to the museum to gather funds
    -Upgrading basecamp/tools/car whatever
    -I think you should make the book a bit easier to read, its no fun if you cant find stuff just because you dont manage to read the text. Better to have some small puzzles and clues hidden in there (which you already seem to have)
    -You mention other settings then desert, any ideas there?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. khos

khos

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated, some features you mention are almost done, e.g. museum/trading/inventory. Upgrading tools, could be a good one actually,will consider that.
    I have been struggling to make a nice digging animation for the human mesh, so opted just to leave it out for now, I was thinking to do it with finak IK, not blender, can you recommend anything?
    It is free roaming, the idea is to read/rely your notebook and try understand where to dig, simple as that..But the scene cannot be endless so have implemented borders (how do you implement endless free roaming in Unity, if not voxel!?). Every part of the terrain is diggable, some places you can dig much deeper than others, or more difficult to dig depending on surface.. My notebook is currently not the easiest to read (it's probably my bad handwriting's fault done on a tablet with s pen), will spend much more time on the clues/notebook, maybe I want to keep it rough/sketchy though.
    On each scene I have a number of smaller treasures players can dig for and then some much larger and more exiting finds that lie and wait to be discovered, it all depends if you can figure out from the notebook where to look/dig. I have a couple stories/scenes planned which take place in other countries, don't want to give those away just yet.

7. virror

virror

I agree it should have a sketch/rough feeling to it, i just think that reading the actual text should not be the limiting factor. No idea about the animations stuff, always a hard part. Looking forward to see the development of this one : )
    Btw, you have any playable demo out? ; D

8. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I like the originality of it.

You may get into legal trouble over the name though.

There's already a Lucas Arts game called "The Dig".

theANMATOR2b and aer0ace like this.
  9. khos

khos

Cool, thanks for the feedback! Wow I did not realize about the name :) No bother, I can change it.But, how long can a game keep the license/trademark, the lucas arts game was made in 1995... so that is quite a while back, wonder if they still have the rights for it. How to find out? Oh actually I just read it was re-released in 2009.. Oh well that should answer my question. I'm open for suggestions to the name, maybe "Dig It"?

10. khos

khos

Thanks for your feedback, I'll improve the notebook, I'm sure I can sort something out with Final IK, that asset is soo powerful. Ahh yes, a demo would be a good idea, Wonder where I can host something like that. I'd love you to try it

11. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Well, Disney keeps getting more and more legislation passed to stop Mickey Mouse from entering the public domain.

I think right now it's 100 years after the author's death.

So as soon as Steven Spielberg dies it will just be another 100 years. ;)

12. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

I dig it ;)

khos likes this.
  13. montanaro94

montanaro94

Very interesting idea! I agree with @virror that this might be more interesting with a VR experience, though. Clicking and dragging to unveil a find isn't as interesting and involving as actually experiencing the dig yourself, even though this could take a lot more work from your end. Hope to have helped!

14. khos

khos

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. I see what you mean, maybe with oculus touch controllers, that might work!

15. khos

khos

Cool,, I might stick with that.

16. khos

khos

Great! But thanks for the extra info, probably will have worldwide rights to it too.

17. virror

virror

Another idea i came up with is to do something with languages, like "learning" and/or deciphering old languages like hieroglyphs on ruins and artifacts you discover, and that way maybe get more clues or just general lore.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  18. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This is a pretty interesting concept, and one I could see going in all different directions. However I would not go VR route. The concepts given towards VR seem to be a totally different game, not related to this one, although the concepts do sound pretty cool.

The characters walk cycle is entertaining. It reminds me of Conner McGregor ring walk when he enters the Octagon (UFC).
    He seems a bit floaty in his swagger and swings his arms in kind of wide swooping arches. It actually is pretty unique looking, although slightly silly. Its not bad, but might be distracting if the game isn't going for a comical vibe.

Quests for this could be really cool, and I instantly started thinking of Indiana Jones, but I think this could have more mystery and clues that direct the player towards finds, like Zelda or other adventure type games.

Beyond the search and find concept, is there a protagonist in the game?
    It'd be interesting to add some super natural story elements to the game, like the curse of the tombs, and whoever finds x treasure will be haunted by (whatever creature you decide).

Will there be any creatures/monsters in the game?
    I could see other archeology teams or adventurers trying to race the player to find treasures also. Like a competition to find the most valuable objects. Maybe the NPC's place false clues, and the player could also provide false clues to mislead NPCs.

Have you attempted a closer 3rd person - free rotating camera? I think a camera like Uncharted or the Last of Us would be an ideal camera position/view for this type of game. It would bring the player closer to the dirt and give him/her a better ability to search for clues, details and hidden content in the environment.

The visuals are obviously WIP and probably will be until last week before release. Consider adding a lot of environment stuff that makes the game seem alive, even if the player wasn't occupying the area. Little scorpions and camel spiders scurrying by, scarab beetles flying and landing, other animals that can be added from those locals. Dust and sand blowing by. And you really shouldn't pass up the opportunity to somehow incorporate a mirage effect into the game. Would be really neat.

This is a really cool idea! Thumbs up smiley.

19. khos

khos

Nice one, hieroglyphs translation.

20. khos

khos

Thanks for your feedback! The characters is behaving a bit oddly :), I think it is the walk/run animations I 'm using..working on that. I'm planning some jump scares maybe :) Do you think that will work? Am adding multiplayer on the todo list so as you say teams could find things the fastest. You can zoom right in so that is almost there as you describe, what you might not see in the video I have up is that when you zoom in that the digging gets more subtle and more exact, also if you don't dig close you might beak the artefact being found, you have to be delicate when digging around these things! I'm planning on adding many more buildings/a town to walk/explore, animals/insects/birds, snakes that chase you (with navmesh system I'm considering at the moment).
    I like the "mirage effect" idea, how can I achieve this I wonder? Some kind of transparent mirror/with vertex swirl effect?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  21. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Honestly the game at this point seems to be more in line with adventure. Jump scares are really only effective in horror games, and even then not really a redeeming factor, unless the game relies on jump scares - like Outlast.

Yeah - mirage effect is something that would be cool. I have no idea how to show, probably something similar to a particle heat distortion effect but with a different distortion animation.

22. khos

khos

No probs, about the jump scares, I meant something like mummy falling out of a coffin. or snakes coming out of sand and chasing you.

23. khos

khos

Been updating lots, added museum/shop/health/inventory/dialog system with NPCs, various Animals:
    camelsinstorm.png Capture.jpg chat.PNG ds.PNG e.PNG

24. khos

khos

haze.png horsepoo.jpg intro.jpg morning.PNG w.PNG

eaque and alexanderameye like this.
  25. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Looks great! May I ask where the rocks in those scenes came from?

26. virror

virror

Nice progress!

khos likes this.
  27. khos

khos

Thanks for looking, they are various rocks I purchased from the asset store over the years, drawn onto the "terrains" with a mesh brush type tool, the rocks I use almost all use one modified material/texture/lod to match the colour etc to the scene, for me the main mission was to keep performance to 40-60fps (not on a awesome PC either) with all the rocks in view as in some places I have loads!

28. khos

khos

Just the intro scene... but making it more interesting with some various events that occur:

Time of day, sandstorm, covering eyes, camels, birds etc

montanaro94 and SthefAndroid like this.
  29. khos

khos

Hi, I would appreciate your input on this trailer I am putting together, does it look ok or interesting to you?
    Feedback would be most welcome:

Baldinoboy and Diab1O like this.
  30. khos

khos

Folks, I have added it to Steam Greenlight, would be awesome to get your vote there. Thanks for your support :)
    Link: Greenlight

31. virror

virror

Supported!

32. khos

khos

Awesome! Many thanks Virror :) When ready would you be willing to beat test this some?

33. virror

virror

For sure : D

khos likes this.
  34. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Finding clues in the note book on where to dig is really cool. Some of the most rewarding gameplay in red dead redemption and skyrim was finding the treasure maps and wandering around the world looking for the landmark clues, or remember seeing a similar landmark, and finding new unexplored areas of the map while traveling around looking for the hidden treasures.
    Although the game is still rough around the edges in places I support your efforts and up voted.

Keep at it!

35. khos

khos

Many thanks theANMATOR2b, Hey I noticed you changed you're icon image, does it mean anything "GoBG"? :)

36. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

GoodolBoyGames :)

khos likes this.
  37. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  38. AdventureGO

AdventureGO

Very Awesome idea indeed! Exactly what i've been looking for! One Suggestion, you should make a map of exploring the mayan ruins in the jungles of central America and/or the Yucatan. Maybe a dense jungle where you have to machete your way through? Or even the amazon, looking for the answer to what happened to the famous Explorer Percy Fawcett? Is this game still being released? I hope so.... Great work. Also there is already a game on steam called Dig It. :/

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  39. khos

khos

Hi! Thanks for your interest, yes, I am actively working on the game, have made quite a bit of progress since last update.. most of the game mechanics are ok now, now it is about adding content, I have a couple of locations planned yet, I was looking at an Inca's area so that might be central american :)
    Who is Percy Fawcett?

Are you referring to the digging sim on Steam with diggers and other mechanical machines? I am not sure if the theme is the same but name might be..
    I'm trying to think of a cool name for my game! maybe "Archeology X" or "Archaeo", oh well there is still time to give it a nice name.

If you have more ideas for locations please feel free to share, I'll consider them for sure!

40. AdventureGO

AdventureGO

Awesome! Would love to see the work you have gotten done! Percy Fawcett was an explorer who dissapeared in the Amazon in 1925 looking for the lost city of Z. He was a very important figure of the Royal National Geographic Society. Would love to see a central america map with Mayan pyramids and such. So much mystery there. Also would be perfect for dangerous situations that explorers dealt with, jaguars, all kinds of snakes, monkeys, even indigenous indian tribes. Maybe a day/night cycle since you have survival elements implemented. Wish there was a way to test out the game. Projected release date? Anyway, best of luck!

41. khos

khos

Cool thanks for the info :)
    A lot of the stuff like dangerous animals etc I have added alraedy, NPC interactions, thieves that want to deal your found relics, day/night cycle included too (although I'm still trying to make it look good at night time), you have to find food/water to survive or you might die, some animals bite and could kill you too...
    No release date yet, I hope a couple months if all goes well, I will send you a beta key for steam once ready if you are interested?

42. AdventureGO

AdventureGO

Absolutely!

43. khos

khos

Been adding some work on time of day (time of day cycle sped up a lot!):

Now to get Unity 2017 to work with DShaze or set it up to get that glorious plugin working on my game again! Argg

44. AdventureGO

AdventureGO

Great stuff!

khos likes this.
  45. AdventureGO

AdventureGO

One question, do we get to ride the camels?

46. khos

khos

Hi there, not planned at first but possible for later addition, did plan to allow for feeding and some other interactions :)
    Question: Is this something you really would like to see added? maybe instead of using our vehicle to travel..
    Currently the camels are like NPC's with some AI, some which will follow you depending on distance away.

47. AdventureGO

AdventureGO

I think it would be a nice touch, maybe something to look into after beta.

48. Kennth

Kennth

Maybe include lost city of Atlantis ... even, branch out to folk lore,
    " bad guys " find out and want to thwart you, take your treasure.

lost pirate ships, I know thats not " digging " but that maybe enough
    to avoid any issues at all. We all want to go on a treasure hunt, deep down.
    very exciting :)

49. khos

khos

Many thanks for your ideas/input, the cool thing is that almost every part of the world has some history with mistery and treasures, I need to get the basics game done first (mostly done), then plan to add all mentioned suggestions, digging for treasures is like a treasure hunt really :)

50. khos

khos

Little progress update..
    Working on various additions (e.g. caves/better vehicle/adding details) / lots of bugs to fix / other levels.
    Some screenshots: Capture.JPG

Caves:
    cave2.JPG cave3.JPG

Dig for/Uncover long lost places:
    dig.png
    Slowly making progress on some other scenes: uk.JPG

Progress is a bit slow but steady..
    Comments welcome of course :)

eaque likes this.