Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Diffusion profiles not installed automatically

Discussion in '2022.1 Beta' started by Rowlan, Feb 19, 2022.

1. Rowlan

Rowlan

Was that feature removed? I just installed the unity terrain demo into b8 and obviously the diffusion profile didn't get applied automatically:

dp.jpg

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @Rowlan,

This does not seem to be a known issue. I had asked QA to take a look and they were able to install the terrain demo as expected.

Could you please submit a bug report for this if it's still an issue for you?

3. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

it's likely they used the HDRPDefaultResources for HDRenderPipelineGlobalSettings

when making a new asset its good practice to make all new files for that asset especially if you have diffusion profiles

the way i deal with this is i setup all the render pipeline asset files same as they did
    i see they only used HDRenderPipelineGlobalSettings to connect the diffusion profiles

ok however, most users don't know that they also need to apply HDRP global settings also and not just the quality settings.. the HDRenderPipelineGlobalSettings are sort of hidden down under sub window drop downs and not easy to find or learn about

to mitigate these issues i suggest they use the post process volume override for "Diffusion Profile Override"

For this case
    @Rolan find the file they made called "HDRenderPipelineGlobalSettings" in file TerrainDemoScene_HDRP/Settings/HDRP then open your Project settings adding the one them made under Graphics/HDRPGlobalSettings

perhaps if they update they could make this more easy for users and add the over ride path as suggested above

4. Rowlan

Rowlan

Sure. This is definitely not working, 100% reproducable. Case 1409659

LeonhardP likes this.
  5. Rowlan

Rowlan

That's not the issue. There was a popup asking you if you'd want to automatically set the diffusion profiles of the asset you're importing. This doesn't show up anymore.

6. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

in 12x + they changed the defaults now using HDRenderPipelineGlobalSettings

7. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

After a bit more study I found that in api 10x when we add assign the RenderPipelineAsset with in graphic setting Unity auto connected global settings.. in api 12x unity does not assign the global setting storing diffusion profile automatically

not certain if this is by design or not
    upload_2022-3-12_8-58-21.png

8. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

@LeonhardP My other question is since every thing seams to be getting pushed into the one global setting slot uner global setting now should we have a new global slot for every pipeline asset such as performant / Balanced / High Fidelity giving a different global base on quality level ?

9. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

follow up
    test in api 12.1.5 Unity 2021.1.15 the global setting was assigned when we added the Graphic asset correctly
    perhaps this problem is limited to specific unity versions
    the above post was in api 12.1.3 unity 2021.1.8

Note: unity has a major branch in api 12x
    example a shader compiled in 12.1.3 may not work correctly in api 12.1.4 and higher due to so many changes in the api such as clear coating .. most of the changes from api 12.1.5 are not rolled down to the lower api's with in its own group 12x making 12x very difficult to support

i suspect this will all be a mood point soon as the new LTS comes out in a few weeks
    for info only

10. Rowlan

Rowlan

Got reply:

"The pop-up window feature was removed as it was causing various issues. Developers are currently revisiting this problem to come up with a working solution."

Actually I wouldn't mind to have a button in the settings at the diffusion profiles to have them added automatically. It doesn't have to be a popup.

11. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

i feel that having to connect so many asset profiles manually is not so well organized in that i had to ad diffusion profile lists in multiple places .. i wish if we add them into one asset file they would daisy chain the settings down but however this is just not how it currently works and i had to list them again and a again from defaults level asset files thru each quality level

it just does not feel well organized
    if Unity could update with a tree style graph to illiterate relationships it would be wonderful
    even if its just a high level look ahead to what is coming and its progress would go a long way for users so we can begin to understand the larger picture what all the changes are working to

the PRs and change notices trickle out so slow we commonly see conflicts or gaps in the process leading to users getting confused. if Unity just tell us what is coming it may mitigate developers feeling painful workflows and reworks

12. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

on a other note for info only the diffusion profile for grass in that HDRP terrain asset is corrupted upload_2022-3-15_22-55-41.png